Shoutbox

Knowledge vs. Faith - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Knowledge vs. Faith (/showthread.php?tid=49265)

Knowledge vs. Faith by Pinchichuv on 08-21-2005 at 04:42 AM

heres a thread that i got from a another forum, and i kind of agree with this guy, so what do you think? Knowledge or Faith?

[QUOTE=DrakenFire87]

Timeline 1: Faith
8000 BC: 45% of Americans believe the Earth was created by God on this day.  That is their belief.  That is their "Faith".
32 CE: Christ was crucified.
2005 CE: Obscure youngsters argue about dinosaurs.

Timeline 2: Knowledge
Billions of Years Ago: Earth was Created over millions of years by the combinations of rocks, or whatever the theory is today.  Whatever the theory is it didn't happen in the last 10,000 years which is the entire point.
Sometime Before 8000 BC: Dinosaurs walked the Earth

Timeline 1 does not have room for Timeline 2.  Timeline 1 is composed of 45% of America population whose religion says it is the correct timeline.  Timeline 2 is the correct timeline in respect to Knowledge.  The validity of this knowledge is ever-changing, but in reality is as close to absolute as modern science can provide.  Faith cannot be defeated by Knowledge.  Timeline 1 still exists despite Timeline 2.

If you don't get that, just stop trying.  I don't know what else to do.  I'm not trying to prove some grand scheme.  The topic is "Knowledge Vs. Faith" not "Black Vs. White".  By that I mean black is black and it will never be white.  We are not talking in absolutes.  Faith and Knowledge are both abstract, ok?[/QUOTE]

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by John Anderton on 08-21-2005 at 04:51 AM

Knowledge > Faith (by very little) > *
For me

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by user27089 on 08-21-2005 at 06:54 AM

Personally, I think that it is a load of balls...

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by John Anderton on 08-21-2005 at 07:06 AM

I think both are quite important. Its just your way of perciving things :P
I do have faith .... but not necessarily in the way that was shown in the quoted text ...... if it were up to the text then i believe in knowledge.

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by multimillion2k on 08-21-2005 at 07:48 AM

Faith alone is blind faith. Some people truly believe in alien/elves/fairies/zombies/(Bill Gates?) etc - we call them loony. If there is as much proof of Christ as of these other fantasies, what's the difference? Knowledge is very important I think, but it's the combination of the two that is the strongest.

Regarding the two timelines, I personally believe that they can co-exist.

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by saralk on 08-21-2005 at 09:54 AM

I think that there is a degree of overlap between the two.

Creationists say that god one day said LET THERE BE LIGHT, Evolutionists say that one day there was a big bang, If you think about it, there is not much different between the two, a lot of light energy would be given out when the big bang happened.

Next, God created water, land, planet, fish and animals and finally man, in that order. Which pretty much talleys with what evolutionists say, I am not going to into detail about what the evolutionists say, but google it.

The similarities end when god did this in 6 days. However, I don't think that the bible is supposed to be taken litterally anyway, but is full of analogies and lessons 'n' stuff.

So, really, if you analyse stuff, you can see that evolutionists and creationists can live in perfect harmony, and all the crap of not teaching evolution theory in some schools can be scrapped because really creationism is the same as evolutionism in creationism there is a face put to the evolution process.

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by emit on 08-21-2005 at 10:29 AM

quote:
If you don't get that, just stop trying.  I don't know what else to do.  I'm not trying to prove some grand scheme.  The topic is "Knowledge Vs. Faith" not "Black Vs. White".  By that I mean black is black and it will never be white.  We are not talking in absolutes.  Faith and Knowledge are both abstract, ok?

You're describing something called the "grey fallacy". One person says white, another says black, and outside observers assume grey is the truth. The assumption of grey is sloppy, lazy thinking. The fact that one person takes a position that is diametrically opposed to the truth does not then skew reality so the truth is no longer the truth, The truth is still the truth. So, essentially whoever wrote that is skewing reality and is an idiot.
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by Garndell on 08-21-2005 at 11:38 AM

CE???  I think he means AD.

Knowledge is of more use that faith.  It also say sto me that either 45% (at least) of Americans are morons or they've been brainwashed by a hipocritical religion.

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by user27089 on 08-21-2005 at 11:44 AM

Saral, I think you got all of that information from Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, it is an amazing book, and it tells you about all of the theories Saral has described...

I have a lot of faith, I believe in God, I find it weird that we are just here, and look at everything we have... Why haven't other things evolved as we have, and they have been here longer than us?

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by ShawnZ on 08-21-2005 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
CE???  I think he means AD.

Knowledge is of more use that faith.  It also say sto me that either 45% (at least) of Americans are morons or they've been brainwashed by a hipocritical religion.

CE is the new term for AD 8-)
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by saralk on 08-21-2005 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Saral, I think you got all of that information from Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, it is an amazing book, and it tells you about all of the theories Saral has described...

i've never read that book :p
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by Supersonicdarky on 08-21-2005 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jchichuv
[QUOTE=DrakenFire87]
Sometime Before 8000 BC: Dinosaurs walked the Earth

Actually it's 245 to 208 million years ago not 8000 years ago :)
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by SikStyles on 08-21-2005 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
Actually it's 245 to 208 million years ago not 8000 years ago :)

it says BC meaning before chirst was born and he wasnt born 8000 years ago, i dont know when tho :P

but anyhoo i go with the 2nd one, because i dont think there are any super powers on earth, just science, everything is explainable, having faith is a way of helping urself i believe, like if u have faith meanin u believe in something or in urself u can do things better but i dont think faith created earth..
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by emit on 08-21-2005 at 02:31 PM

CE and AD are synonymous.

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by Negro_Joe on 08-21-2005 at 02:39 PM

quote:

I have to agree with Traxor, i think that the whole idea of religion is stupid!
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by SikStyles on 08-21-2005 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Skeew
quote:

dont call it stupid if u dont believe in religion, leave it to urself, some people like the idea that they have someone to talk to and they believe that someone up there is watching over them and helping them
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by multimillion2k on 08-21-2005 at 08:59 PM

quote:
quote:

You may be interested to note that while Traxor didn't agree with the first post, he states later that he is religious. Perhaps this is an example of the 'grey fallacy' that Time mentioned before..
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by [MR] on 08-21-2005 at 09:34 PM

quote:
quote:

religion isnt stupid because it gives people somthing to hope in.  if there is no hope there is no reason to go on...hope in God makes us go on in life...its actually pretty simple.
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by Voldemort on 08-21-2005 at 10:01 PM

i belive the true thing is a combination of both, im religios,(catholic )

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by dylan! on 08-21-2005 at 10:06 PM

friendship>faith>knowledge>love>trust>*
:P

RE: RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by Garndell on 08-21-2005 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
quote:
quote:

religion isnt stupid because it gives people somthing to hope in.  if there is no hope there is no reason to go on...hope in God makes us go on in life...its actually pretty simple.

And those that do not believe in God, people like Atheists, Satanists, Pagans etc....

Before you say it, Satan is not a "god".  I'm a satanist, but I have my own personal twist on it.  I don't belive in any supernatural being, just myself.  I choose to be what people define as good or evil, to me it's just me doing what I want to do.
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by [MR] on 08-21-2005 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
i belive the true thing is a combination of both, im religios,(catholic )
me too!
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by multimillion2k on 08-21-2005 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Before you say it, Satan is not a "god".  I'm a satanist, but I have my own personal twist on it.  I don't belive in any supernatural being, just myself.  I choose to be what people define as good or evil, to me it's just me doing what I want to do.
In Christian views, Satan is a liar whose goal is not to make you worship him, but to turn you away from God. The logic in this is that if you're not following God, you're following Satan - the bible states that if you're not moving towards God you're moving away from him - ie. you can't sit in a grey area in between.
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by [MR] on 08-21-2005 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
quote:
In Christian views, Satan is a liar whose goal is not to make you worship him, but to turn you away from God. The logic in this is that if you're not following God, you're following Satan - the bible states that if you're not moving towards God you're moving away from him - ie. you can't sit in a grey area in between.

yes you are right...you see only God is the truth and only truth come from God...now satan is the father of lies..he is trying to turn us away from God so we will die forever in hell...now God wants us to love him and he loves everyone..even those who do not love him or beleive in him...if we go by what God says then we can live forever in his everlasting kingdom which is Heaven...thats what i beleive in basically...im not trying to offend u Garndell in anyway.
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by YottabyteWizard on 08-21-2005 at 11:18 PM

Knowledge > Faith

Because I go more to experimentation and millions of years of life, rather than religion. Cientific Methods (Y)

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by saralk on 08-22-2005 at 09:04 AM

i don't beleive in any god or any religion.

If the original reason for religion was to explain why we are here, then by saying a god who could suddenly create everything we know about and everything that exists must be infinatly times more complex than we are, so you have to answer the question, why is that god here?

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by gif83 on 08-22-2005 at 02:18 PM

people put faith in science because they think it makes sense... but why make current science absolute... it's all to do with the knowledge we aquire that we all learn from and share amongst each other. don't take science to be absolute, but do rely on your knowledge... and have faith in that knowledge. same goes for religion.

RE: RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by Garndell on 08-22-2005 at 02:19 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

yes you are right...you see only God is the truth and only truth come from God...now satan is the father of lies..he is trying to turn us away from God so we will die forever in hell...now God wants us to love him and he loves everyone..even those who do not love him or beleive in him...if we go by what God says then we can live forever in his everlasting kingdom which is Heaven...thats what i beleive in basically...im not trying to offend u Garndell in anyway.

I know you aren't, but then I also know you are believeing a hipocrtical book/religion.  Again, my own twist on satanism puts me as satan/god as to me, you can't blame a supernatural being (that doesn't exist by the way) for a persons bad choices.

My belief was guided by the hipocrisy, bigotry & lies of the Christian church I was born into.  In satanism I found belief in myself above all else.  Christianity to me is a plague on this earth, just my opinion don't be offended by it.
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by ShawnZ on 08-22-2005 at 02:21 PM

quote:

Then just become antireligous or part of the church of realism or something, the name scares people less :p

quote:
yes you are right...you see only God is the truth and only truth come from God...now satan is the father of lies..he is trying to turn us away from God so we will die forever in hell...

Im not trying to stick up for satan here, but think about what you just said. Who taught you that? believers of god ;)

Edit: OKAY WTF, WHY WAS THIS MY 666TH POST.
RE: RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by emit on 08-22-2005 at 02:30 PM

quote:

Ding! Hence: the grey fallacy.

quote:
My belief was guided by the hipocrisy, bigotry & lies of the Christian church I was born into.  In satanism I found belief in myself above all else.  Christianity to me is a plague on this earth, just my opinion don't be offended by it.

Spot the contradiction in terms.

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by [MR] on 08-22-2005 at 10:10 PM

we cant really have these religious threads here b/c there are too many people on here with too many beleifs that we cant agree with eachother...which just offends people and breaks people relationships wioth others i guess...its just sad that alot of people dont believe in God or at least some God. 

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by PenguinBoy on 08-22-2005 at 11:42 PM

PenguinBoy likes such threads, because he likes to know what people hold in their souls.

I used to be religious, Strictly, but knowlege,  jelous people, and santa raped me of it. and left my mind naked to the burning sun (metaphor).

I would do many things to try and regain my faith. but the fact is once u see through it u can't cover ur eyes without knowing what ur covering them from. i'd never wish to take away the confort from people, which i myself once had. so i don't say to much.

Faith is a nice place to hide, but Knowlege rips down the walls.

even if did have more faith. and even my beliefs coresponded direcly with the gospel, i'd never again label myself with a religion. i'm 100% against it. Belief is personal and becoming part of a religion is far to dangerous for my liking.

Rejoice in the eyes of urself! because it's fun.

Dogma is a sweet film, i think if people are interested in religion it is a beast, quite entertaining too.

RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by [MR] on 08-23-2005 at 01:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PenguinBoy
Dogma is a sweet film, i think if people are interested in religion it is a beast, quite entertaining too.

ya i have seen it
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by ShawnZ on 08-23-2005 at 03:08 AM

quote:
we cant really have these religious threads here b/c there are too many people on here with too many beleifs that we cant agree with eachother...which just offends people and breaks people relationships wioth others i guess...its just sad that alot of people dont believe in God or at least some God.

Thats exactly the point, why waste effort following religon when everyone can be one in an antireligon where we just beleave what we can prove, and that way we won't have to dispute over our beliefs either
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by John Anderton on 08-23-2005 at 10:14 AM

quote:
(Y)
I <3 that book cause it brings both science and religion together showing what they have been saying for so many years is true ..... there was something from nothing and thats the big bang ;)
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by Purity on 08-23-2005 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity's blog
I don’t think I can ever chose a religion, there is so many. The main reason is because there is so many limits, there’s pretty much no freedom. Let’s say your a full out christian, you do every single thing the bible says. Your a sinless person pretty much. What is the point of your life? You’d be doing the same stuff everyday pretty much, you’d have no fun. It bothers me when I hear a super religious person talk about god lots, the whole concept I just don’t get why, and how. I don’t wanna dedicate my life to living in fear of going to hell, I just wanna have fun. You only live once. We all sin. I think it’s kinda sad that the bible forces you to be afraid of hell, and to believe in god. I don’t understand gods concept on how he’s doing things around here. People say god can do anything he wants, why doesn’t he stop poverty and such, make the world more lively, and not so dull. I’m sure it was good at one point of exsistence, but evolution came and fucked things up, I think that it’s a fluke that there is living things on this planet, did you know that mars was always frozen. As far as science can tell? The only reason we are living is because we are the right distance from the sun. I’m sure that there is other life forms all over the solar system and in other galexies.

“You must do this in order to goto heaven!” etc etc etc!

You know I hate the idea of talking about negative things like this, religious wise, but someones gotta open their eyes.

But without religions, the whole world would be out of order, it’s what draws the line, makes things right.

I also have a small theory that the whole god and bible thing is a hoax, just to keep society together as much as possible, if it weren’t for these people, im sure the world would be terror. Sure it’s kinda a out there idea, but it would be possible, people wanted society to keep it together so they thought that making them live in fear would help.

“there is no good with out evil” if there was neither what would it be?

There has to be a point to exsistence, there has to be something that made us. Or maybe it’s something more than our minds can think, or power. Who knows, if there is a god, why doesn’t he do something about this world.

If people didn’t die from cancer and etc…. the world would be over populated. Dieing goes both ways, good and bad. But I think that everyone should die naturaly. Notice how in the old ages, there was no cancer, drugs, or terrorism, just shows how shitty this society has gotten and how it cant get much worse.

I choose knowledge.....

You can argue with me about that as much as you want, will never get me to change my opinion or view on religion, or existance.
RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by John Anderton on 08-23-2005 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I choose knowledge.....

You can argue with me about that as much as you want, will never get me to change my opinion or view on religion, or existance.
I didnt read that whole thing but i agree with the final tht ....

tho 1 thing did catch my eye ...

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
“You must do this in order to goto heaven!” etc etc etc!
Id say do this in the name of humanity ... not so that you goto heaven ;) (not that i dont believe in the supreme power but i am a scientific man so c'mon :P Tho i believe what Dan Brow's Angels and Demons had to say ;))
RE: RE: Knowledge vs. Faith by emit on 08-23-2005 at 12:05 PM

quote:

That makes it the perfect forums to have religious discussions on. On a scientific forum everyone will believe in evolution and on a religious forum everyone will believe in creation. Thus, this makes a place where the two ideas are held by different people a much better platform from which to discuss and debate the subject.