Shoutbox

Disable a program to connect internet - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Disable a program to connect internet (/showthread.php?tid=49287)

Disable a program to connect internet by Exca on 08-21-2005 at 09:51 PM

Is it possible to disable a program to make internet connection? I have this program that makes connection to it's server automaticly to check updates and check if it has a correct serial number *-) (which I haven't, right).

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by brian on 08-21-2005 at 09:52 PM

Use a firewall.

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by Exca on 08-21-2005 at 09:54 PM

Tnx for the quick reply, I don't want any leak, is it possible with windows firewall?

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by mwe99 on 08-22-2005 at 02:29 AM

Windows Firewall, check the program is not in the exceptions list, if its is then untick the box

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by WDZ on 08-22-2005 at 03:48 AM

That exceptions list is only for programs that act as a server (accept incoming connections). The Windows Firewall cannot block outgoing connections, so it's pretty useless if you want to prevent an update check.

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by Fergy on 08-22-2005 at 04:00 AM

Another way around this is ResHacking your program and changing the program version number to whatever the latest version number is, however this would most likely your EULA. I haven't personally reshacked a program, but i know that it's possible.

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by albert on 08-22-2005 at 04:36 AM

Usually there is an option to stop automatic updates, if it is not available, you should probably get a firewall, Norton's would do it easily, since it is pretty easy to configure.

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by Exca on 08-22-2005 at 09:27 AM

Tnx. It's a shitty program actually, when you insert a cd, it goes searching on the internet for the audio titles on the cddb's database. Meanwhile it checks your version. Recently I started it up and there is the message your version is illegal, blablabla. And the company behind it is as paranoia as possible...

RE: Disable a program to connect internet by segosa on 08-22-2005 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
Tnx. It's a shitty program actually, when you insert a cd, it goes searching on the internet for the audio titles on the cddb's database. Meanwhile it checks your version. Recently I started it up and there is the message your version is illegal, blablabla. And the company behind it is as paranoia as possible...

If you block its access to the internet how is it going to check ONLINE for audio titles?
RE: Disable a program to connect internet by Anubis on 08-22-2005 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca

What is the actual name of the program? Have you looked in the program settings for options related to the automatic update setting. Or an option for manual updating\only updating at a set time.
RE: Disable a program to connect internet by Exca on 08-23-2005 at 11:08 AM

the program is bpmst*dio (they search the internet) and i don't think there will be an option to turn off the 'automatic correct serial number check' box :)