Shoutbox

Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) (/showthread.php?tid=49320)

Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Supersonicdarky on 08-22-2005 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Hoping to take some market share from Apple in the world of digital-music players, Sony (NYSE: SNE - news) on Thursday began taking orders for its latest digital Walkman, known as the Bean.

While officially known as the NW-E300 line, Sony is marketing the new devices after their bean-like shapes. The palm-size devices are available in four jellybean-inspired colors: pink, black, blue and white.

A 512-MB version costs US$130 while a unit with 1 GB of storage is priced at around $180. Although the players will not be on the shelves until late September or October, Sony is taking preorders on its Web site.

"Sounds an awful lot like the [iPod] Shuffle; but just being like the Shuffle is no guarantee [of success]," said Gartner (NYSE: IT - news) analyst Michael McGuire.

Source

some mages:

[Image: Sony-mizeaza-pe-Sony-Walkman-Bean-2.jpg]

[Image: Sony-mizeaza-pe-Sony-Walkman-Bean-3.jpg]

I think they look awsome! :D
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Eljay on 08-22-2005 at 02:37 PM

holy crap they look awesome :P

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by tony on 08-22-2005 at 02:38 PM

they look cool,  the price is "cheaper" compared with other mp3 players, ill get one of those :banana:

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by albert on 08-22-2005 at 02:39 PM

they do look cool, but imho, a 1GB HDD will not be able to be compared to the 20GB, 40GB or 60 GB HDD to apples..

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Stigmata on 08-22-2005 at 03:14 PM

only 1 gb :(

tut tut :(

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Veggie on 08-22-2005 at 03:15 PM

there not 1 GB Hard Drives they are just
another flashmemory mp3 player, i for one would like a small mp3 player
more than a ipod which is relativly big as im an active person, an i
would break moving parts.

[Image: carrot.gif]

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by absorbation on 08-22-2005 at 03:19 PM

Also with that sortage in that size new memory sticks should be out soon :)

I like the idea, however ipods are fashionable they are not the best but they are liked and that's why they want them. I still think sony should make a new thing altogether e.g videos on it and connect to internet ;)

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by gif83 on 08-22-2005 at 03:28 PM

very ugly.... if ever you see me make anything like that in my future life as a product designer you have my permission to slap me with a big wet smelly fish.

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Eljay on 08-22-2005 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
very ugly.... if ever you see me make anything like that in my future life as a product designer you have my permission to slap me with a big wet smelly fish.

dude how on earth can you possibly think thats ugly :sad:
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by user27089 on 08-22-2005 at 03:31 PM

That is the ugliest thing that I have ever seen. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that. The ergonomics look crap too... The iPod looks so much cooler than that.

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by gif83 on 08-22-2005 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
quote:
Originally posted by gif83

dude how on earth can you possibly think thats ugly :sad:

well.. in my eyes they are...

due to:

lack of thought in colour, contrast and balance in tone
useability through ergonomics.
style as far as shape goes... why break up the natural shapes in the bean? following contours may have been a better approach...

in my eyes those designers were taking shorcuts, not using their brains and just trying to get a product out.... but i only say that from looking at the product (nothing personal against them, they are probably nice people)

edit: oh and i forgot to mention the terrible proportioning

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Fourjays on 08-22-2005 at 03:46 PM

Looks good to me. The mix of colours look nice. A smaller hard-drive would be good for me (I have what I would call a fair amount of music (I don't just fill up my HDD with songs I never listen to), and it only takes 2.5Gb of my HDD, so forking out the huge fortune for other mp3 players would be dumb). Its relatively cheap too. :)

I think the iPods look like a small lunchbox, or a glasses case. :/

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Tasha on 08-22-2005 at 03:47 PM

Like wow, I so want one of those. They look so freaking wicked. They look so much easier to hold then a rectangle. And they are a decent price. :grin: (Exchange rates, remember?)

A 512-MB version would cost £72.

A unit with 1 GB of storage would be £99.

:drool:

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by user27089 on 08-22-2005 at 03:50 PM

I think the iPod is much nicer than this, and much more sensible to have. For the price, you may aswell buy a £30 MMC card for a phone that is 1Gb. That would only be able to hold like 150 songs max, which sucks if you think about it. An iPod seems so much more sensible to use, and much easier to use, in my experience.

As said earlier, all it is really is a flash stick that plays the data that is on it, it isn't a hard drive...

Can you honestly imagine putting that thing in your pocket? It would be too annoying :|.

RE: RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Supersonicdarky on 08-22-2005 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Can you honestly imagine putting that thing in your pocket? It would be too annoying :|.

i wouldn't put it in my pocket, i'd rather use a neckstrap to shop it off! :D
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by user27089 on 08-22-2005 at 03:55 PM

So it could bounced around, it would be all slippery and swing everywhere, like a pendulum... It looks like a testicle :lol:...

I'd rather keep it in my pocket to hide it... It's vile.

Thinking about it, it would be a good projectile.

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Eljay on 08-22-2005 at 03:55 PM

"is that a bean in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?" :cheesy:

edit: traxor 4000 posts :O

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by kipper2258 on 08-22-2005 at 05:14 PM

kinda nice to see once, but i dont think i would want one

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by mwe99 on 08-22-2005 at 05:20 PM

omg the Bean? what the heck are they thinking at

"hey what do you have?"

"i have a Bean"

major opening for some bad sex jokes there...

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Eljay on 08-22-2005 at 05:26 PM

great slogan "flicking the bean turns it on"

:cheesy:

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by L. Coyote on 08-22-2005 at 05:27 PM

OMFG, that looks cool. I too rather that small thing than an iPod. :P

Now, the things you can come up with are infinite, I think.

"Hold my bean, please"

"You've got to see my bean!"

"Do you like how my bean feels to the touch?"

Etc. :o)

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by hmaster on 08-22-2005 at 05:28 PM

They look cool. Hmm wouldnt mind one!

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Eljay on 08-22-2005 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
"Hold my bean, please"

:rofl:
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by prashker on 08-22-2005 at 05:48 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
"Hold my bean, please"

:rofl:

RE: RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Vilkku on 08-22-2005 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
That is the ugliest thing that I have ever seen. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that. The ergonomics look crap too... The iPod looks so much cooler than that.

idd
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Joe on 08-22-2005 at 06:31 PM

I wouldn't even consider buying that thing.. How much for half a gig..?
they look ugly... and iPods PWN

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Garndell on 08-22-2005 at 06:40 PM

Not bad, at least they don't look like cheap plastic ipods.  They absolutely have to get Mr. Bean to promote them.

RE: RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Supersonicdarky on 08-22-2005 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
Not bad, at least they don't look like cheap plastic ipods.  They absolutely have to get Mr. Bean to promote them.

:lol:

[Image: beans.jpg]

:)
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Eljay on 08-22-2005 at 06:53 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=518278]

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by xpirdwingz on 08-22-2005 at 07:37 PM

They do look very nice! When the iPod came out though, I somehow wasn't desparate to get one. I had an mp3 player wayy before any of my friends had it, so I guess that phase for me has passed. I'm behind on my music too :P

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by TylerG on 08-22-2005 at 10:31 PM

I think it is just ugly really.  Ipod shuffles are cheaper, and iPods are easy to use.  Plus I bet the bean accesories would suck:P

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Kryptonate on 08-22-2005 at 10:54 PM

"Is that a Bean in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

They choose to make it look like a bean so it would be easy to fit it in your hand.

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Eljay on 08-23-2005 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
"Is that a Bean in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

They choose to make it look like a bean so it would be easy to fit it in your hand.
quote:
"is that a bean in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?" :cheesy:

slow :sad:
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Purity on 08-23-2005 at 07:59 AM

It seems like the kinda thing, people love it or hate it..... I'm debating right now.......looks kewl I guess.....but im not sure if it would be as kewl as my iriver.....:P  no matter how much space.... :P

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Kryptonate on 08-23-2005 at 09:40 AM

quote:

slow :sad:
meh, didn't saw it.
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by saralk on 08-23-2005 at 09:45 AM

I think this looks pretty cool, what wasn't in the news article is other features. They claim that with a 3 minute charge, you can get 3 hours playback time, and on full battery you can get upto 50 hours playback time.

Also, I think it looks cool, it is not trying to compete with the iPod but with the iPod shuffle, there is a big difference.

imo, Sony makes way better stuff than Apple.

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Jimcando on 08-23-2005 at 10:09 AM

Clearly Sony was trying to make an MP3 player that was comfy to hold, but I never hold my MP3 player anyway, and I don't know anyone who does. It goes in my pocket and never comes out unless I need to abuse it.
And it hasn't got a big enough screen, so thumbs down for me :P

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by Veggie on 08-23-2005 at 11:14 AM

can you please change the thread title, it REALLY is not a Ipod rival

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by TylerG on 08-23-2005 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
can you please change the thread title, it REALLY is not a Ipod rival
pwned:refuck:
But seriously it isn't like any one is going to hold there mp3 player over putting it in there pocket.  Maybe if they are running or something:undecided:  But iPod has all the accesories, and the shuffle is cheaper than it for more memory, so I don't think it will be a big hit.  But who knows...
RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by MC Inferno on 08-24-2005 at 12:01 AM

nah, they look terrible...... its a ipod with more rounder curves, be quite nice to hold in ur hand though (like sprite bottles with the little dotty inner curves to hold em better if u know what i mean). and its a shit name. imagine somebody asking you what ur listening to and u have to tell em its called a Bean :| and I thought the iRiver was shit.

personally, i'll stick with my 20GB iPod [offtopic](which, if u wer wondering I got my brand new one off apple last week to replce my old one with the HDD failure, [THANX TODDY!]) [/offtopic]

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by uberdosis on 08-24-2005 at 12:09 AM

They look a bit to bulkie to me. esp if they can only hold 512/1gb.

RE: Sony launches THE BEAN (iPod Rival) by toddy on 08-24-2005 at 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
nah, they look terrible...... its a ipod with more rounder curves, be quite nice to hold in ur hand though (like sprite bottles with the little dotty inner curves to hold em better if u know what i mean). and its a shit name. imagine somebody asking you what ur listening to and u have to tell em its called a Bean :| and I thought the iRiver was shit.

personally, i'll stick with my 20GB iPod [offtopic](which, if u wer wondering I got my brand new one off apple last week to replce my old one with the HDD failure, [THANX TODDY!]) [/offtopic]

O_O why me :S? ???