Shoutbox

Lockout 1.0 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Lockout 1.0 (/showthread.php?tid=49351)

Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-22-2005 at 10:30 PM

ok guys, Well i ant posted any new projects lately apart from display picture manager 2.1 release.

Here is a product which i am excited about and I thought some of you may well be interested because it is appealing to many and offers good services.

Right the point in this product is to keep people off your computer and msn messenger, this product allows you to set a lock screen and message so no one else can do a thing when you step away from the computer, it happens to me all the time which is a reason I wanted to do this, I go tothe toilet or the shop and my family are straight on the computer as i am logged on, my brother always checking out who i am talking to and what i am looking at etc.

So this product will stop all of that, it will start up with windows if you check that feature and the lockout screen can also start up so no one can touch anything as you.

It also comes with a msn messenger lockout function. so no one can log on as you or log on as them on your computer.

I have attached a screenshot below, this project still requires alot of work but i am hoping to get some testers sorted out sooner rather than later and I will keep you all posted.

[Image: lockout.gif]

RE: Lockout 1.0 by lizard.boy on 08-22-2005 at 10:58 PM

windows xp/2000 -> press winkey+l to lock the workstation. Messenger Plus! has a way to lock Msn/windows messenger.

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-22-2005 at 11:06 PM

quote:
windows xp/2000 -> press winkey+l to lock the workstation

that doesn't actually lock it, it takes you to the login screen, for people without a password then that wouldn't work.

Also some home / business computers do not have their own login functions, they just start windows and it's logged on auto.

quote:
Messenger Plus! has a way to lock Msn/windows messenger.

Not everyone uses messenger plus, if you think how many peolpe use messenger then only a small percentage use plus with it. I personally do not use plus.

So there is a use for my product :)

RE: Lockout 1.0 by NiteMare on 08-23-2005 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Destruction
that doesn't actually lock it, it takes you to the login screen, for people without a password then that wouldn't work.
so put a password on

quote:
if you think how many peolpe use messenger then only a small percentage use plus with it.

not that small :D

millions of people use it

but i think your program is a good idea, expecaly for windows 98/ME users, have you tested it on those systems?

RE: Lockout 1.0 by lizard.boy on 08-23-2005 at 02:29 AM

quote:
I personally do not use plus.

iirc, joining a forum for the sole purpose of advertising your product is just asking for some type of ban.
RE: Lockout 1.0 by Concord Dawn on 08-23-2005 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
quote:
I personally do not use plus.

iirc, joining a forum for the sole purpose of advertising your product is just asking for some type of ban.

He has 41 posts, he didn't join just for advertising(afaik).
[/offtopic]

Sounds like a good idea (y)
RE: Lockout 1.0 by ShawnZ on 08-23-2005 at 03:26 AM

quote:
Also some home / business computers do not have their own login functions, they just start windows and it's logged on auto.

you mean autologin to the domain controller? you can still windowskey+l around that. And if you don't have a password? creating one is just as easy as starting that application.

Besides im sure there's some way around it, as we've proved with norma's a couple times :p
RE: Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-23-2005 at 08:58 AM

you can easily just restart the computer or the other user can also log on if you use the win key and L.

quote:

I come to these forums alot because it is a goodplace to discuss tech and new messenger products. I don't have to be a plus user to talk here, there is no law.
RE: Lockout 1.0 by ShawnZ on 08-23-2005 at 09:18 AM

quote:
you can easily just restart the computer or the other user can also log on if you use the win key and L.

Then you just lock the workstation, which only lets you or an administrator log in.
RE: Lockout 1.0 by saralk on 08-23-2005 at 09:39 AM

imo you can lock the station just as easily, so there is no need for this program.

Someone could just restart the PC and get into the computer, thus windows lock system is the most secure way of doing it and takes no extra system resources, if you have windows set to automatically log on, then you can still set a password.

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-23-2005 at 09:50 AM

what i am talking about is this, say you have more than one user then they can use win key and L and just log you off lets say and then login themselves by clicking their name.

Try to move away from the windows login screen. This program is a simple lockout for when you are logged on.

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Jimcando on 08-23-2005 at 09:56 AM

This program would work for me, if I had that screen up no one would bother trying to log on as them selves or reset the computer - they aren't that clever and/or they can't be bothered.
I might be the only one, but I like it....

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-23-2005 at 11:13 AM

quote:
This program would work for me, if I had that screen up no one would bother trying to log on as them selves or reset the computer - they aren't that clever and/or they can't be bothered.
I might be the only one, but I like it....

Thanks, well i am just going to say this now because I understand where people are coming from with the win key and L so this product will be available for people who are interested.
If you think it is pointless then you don't have to use it, that simple, otherwise I hope you enjoy this prodcut when we get it released! :)
RE: Lockout 1.0 by Ezra on 08-23-2005 at 12:16 PM

I think this program had potential (Y)

Just add some more good functions

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-23-2005 at 12:23 PM

your ideas are welcome, what new functiond would you also like to see ?

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Ezra on 08-23-2005 at 12:42 PM

Just out the top of my brain

• Something like a usb key to enable working on the workstation, and if you remove the usb it will lock the workstation.
  • The same thing with a Bluetooth device

RE: Lockout 1.0 by x2zen on 08-23-2005 at 12:44 PM

Make a screensaver with a password, the normal Windows way, works for me

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Jimcando on 08-23-2005 at 12:44 PM

The screenshot looks very good.
What happens when you lock the computer? Does it just show a screensaver type thing, and can you choose what it shows?
Is there a hot-key to lock it?
And when will you need testers :P?

RE: Lockout 1.0 by ShawnZ on 08-23-2005 at 01:03 PM

quote:
what i am talking about is this, say you have more than one user then they can use win key and L and just log you off lets say and then login themselves by clicking their name.

Try to move away from the windows login screen. This program is a simple lockout for when you are logged on.

Then whats the point of locking everyone out of the computer if you're not the only person who uses it? besides,

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

Then you just lock the workstation, which only lets you or an administrator log in.

RE: RE: Lockout 1.0 by CookieRevised on 08-23-2005 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimcando
The screenshot looks very good.
despite the good looks I am far more interested in, and wondering, how it is done. I certainly hope not like that other "crappy" (sorry, but it was) program/method which was posted lately by don't-know-anymore-who...
RE: Lockout 1.0 by absorbation on 08-23-2005 at 01:22 PM

i belive destruction has made over 200 programs in his time big and small :) all good quality as well in my view :)

I like the idea of this plugin :)

RE: Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-23-2005 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Then whats the point of locking everyone out of the computer if you're not the only person who uses it? besides

If you are logged on and you nip to the toilet or the shop then you don't want people messing when your logged on do you so this is what it can be for. Your kinda missing the point of this product really.

Like i said if your interested then great if not then fine don't use it.
RE: Lockout 1.0 by Destruction on 08-27-2005 at 08:07 PM

I have attached a basic screenshot of what i expect the lock screen to look like, similar to windows xp i bet you will all be saying, but it is an early screenshot.

Also i have attached the messenger lock shot also. Again an early screenshot.

[Image: lock.gif]
[Image: msnlock.gif]

p.s!  SORRY ABOUT THE MASSIVE IMAGES! :)