Shoutbox

Windows Vista Question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Vista Question (/showthread.php?tid=49403)

Windows Vista Question by brianjdupuis on 08-24-2005 at 12:10 AM

Hello , just a quick question to everyone out there who is running windows vista or knows anything about it. I have a copy of it and when I try to install it on my labtop it comes up with a system requirement of atleast 256 mb of ram and my problem is that my video takes out of the 256 soo is there any way to get around that???

Thanks
Brian

RE: Windows Vista Question by uberdosis on 08-24-2005 at 12:30 AM

Put another stick of ram in? Other then that i cant see a reason, running vista on 256 would hurt anyways, xp on 256 is bad enough.

RE: Windows Vista Question by brianjdupuis on 08-24-2005 at 01:00 AM

Well besides going out to buy another stick of ram for a labtop does anyone else have any other ideas or anyway of getting around the system requirements and actually my Windows Xp runs very fast with 256 RAM...... ill also accept all donation of sticks of ram for my Dell Inspiron 1000....... ;) or a new labtop! :D

Thanks
Brian

RE: Windows Vista Question by [MR] on 08-24-2005 at 01:21 AM

RAM doesnt cost that much...the more expensive RAM sticks are for older computers so it shouldnt be that hard to buy another RAM stick

RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 01:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
Put another stick of ram in? Other then that i cant see a reason, running vista on 256 would hurt anyways, xp on 256 is bad enough.

Er? both run fine on my 256 box.
RE: Windows Vista Question by uberdosis on 08-24-2005 at 01:23 AM

Each to their own.

RE: Windows Vista Question by Hank on 08-24-2005 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brianjdupuis
Hello , just a quick question to everyone out there who is running windows vista or knows anything about it. I have a copy of it and when I try to install it on my labtop it comes up with a system requirement of atleast 256 mb of ram and my problem is that my video takes out of the 256 soo is there any way to get around that???

Vista will require a Lot of Memory atleast 1Gig an a 128+ Video card Memory, my guess is the Minimum it'll require to maybe run is 512MB Ram an 128 + MB  Video Card 
RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 02:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
quote:

Vista will require a Lot of Memory atleast 1Gig an a 128+ Video card Memory, my guess is the Minimum it'll require to maybe run is 512MB Ram an 128 + MB  Video Card

haha are you high?

like i said, it runs fine with 256 onboard and 256 agp 8-)
RE: Windows Vista Question by Hank on 08-24-2005 at 02:25 AM

im fine,, u must like  slow things shawn, coz i dont

RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
im fine,, u must like  slow things shawn, coz i dont

First whats with everyone and using double/triple commas everywhere

Second its barely slow, only while playing video or with like 30 windows open each in front of each other

Third, you said, key word, MINIMUM
RE: Windows Vista Question by albert on 08-24-2005 at 02:51 AM

1- ppl stop arguing.. vista can run on 256, slow or not, it will run so it is possible to

2- to get back to the question, i have one possible solution, maybe disable the video card.. so it doesnt take out of your memory.. but the problem is, how the hell is anything going to show..?

RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 03:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
2- to get back to the question, i have one possible solution, maybe disable the video card.. so it doesnt take out of your memory.. but the problem is, how the hell is anything going to show..?

Easy, don't use onboard graphics cards that swap memory with the mobo?
RE: Windows Vista Question by Hank on 08-24-2005 at 03:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
First whats with everyone and using double/triple commas everywhere

since when you been the "commas Policeman " :refuck:

quote:

Second its barely slow, only while playing video or with like 30 windows open each in front of each other
its barely slow.. try  using it on a high end PC then use yours, .

quote:

Third, you said, key word, MINIMUM
i did 512 to be exact  not 256
RE: Windows Vista Question by YottabyteWizard on 08-24-2005 at 05:01 AM

Well, Longhorn build 5048 requierements are:

CPU: 1.5 GHz+
RAM: 512MB+
HDD: 6GB+

I haven't tried with a computer that don't have this req..... i suspect it'll run anyway.

RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 05:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Well, Longhorn build 5048 requierements are:

CPU: 1.5 GHz+
RAM: 512MB+
HDD: 6GB+

I haven't tried with a computer that don't have this req..... i suspect it'll run anyway.

right, BS.

[01:11:38] <ShawnZ> Operating System: Windows Longhorn XP Professional 6.0 (Build #5112)
[01:09:30] <ShawnZ> RAM: Used: 222/256MB (86% Load)
RE: Windows Vista Question by YottabyteWizard on 08-24-2005 at 05:21 AM

quote:
[01:11:38] <ShawnZ> Operating System: Windows Longhorn XP Professional 6.0 (Build #5112)
[01:09:30] <ShawnZ> RAM: Used: 222/256MB (86% Load)

Isn't it slow? I went crazy with 256MB ram on my XP Pro.... so I upgraded to 512.
RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 05:23 AM

quote:
Isn't it slow? I went crazy with 256MB ram on my XP Pro.... so I upgraded to 512.

haha wtf? xp is fast with 256 :undecided: and vista only lags for me when ive got a ton of firefox tabs open or uxss starts hanging
RE: RE: Windows Vista Question by YottabyteWizard on 08-24-2005 at 05:26 AM

quote:
haha wtf? xp is fast with 256 :undecided: and vista only lags for me when ive got a ton of firefox tabs open or uxss starts hanging

Umm, Azureus+Firefox+(sometimes)Stepmania+various soft of wincustomize and object desktop... :P (Damn Azureus..., devours almost all my RAM:@)

Well, now i know i can install vista on my other PC :D
RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 05:32 AM

quote:
Umm, Azureus+Firefox+(sometimes)Stepmania+various soft of wincustomize and object desktop... :P (Damn Azureus..., devours almost all my RAM:@)

Well, now i know i can install vista on my other PC :D

That'd be the reason, i only use the default style, firefox, bittornado, irc, etc.

Whats the use for object desktop and stuff anyway, its garbage :/ and azureus is a mem hog and it sucks (and is banned from alot of trackers aswell)
RE: Windows Vista Question by brianjdupuis on 08-25-2005 at 04:35 PM

So how can I disable my on board video, it doesn't show anything in the BIOS for disabling it?

RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-25-2005 at 04:37 PM

quote:
So how can I disable my on board video, it doesn't show anything in the BIOS for disabling it?

If a video card doesn't have any memory what do you expect it to do? Sit there?

Lose the onboard, maybe you can salvage a pci graphics card from some shop or something
RE: Windows Vista Question by YottabyteWizard on 08-25-2005 at 04:40 PM

Do you have another video card? If that's so and there's no BIOS option for disabling it, there must be an option to select wich card would be the primary one, AGP or PCI, wich AGP would the option. This should be in Integrated Perihpehrals or Advanced Options.

RE: Windows Vista Question by brianjdupuis on 08-25-2005 at 04:42 PM

But my only problem is that it's a labtop.....it's not like I can slap in a video card and booom ...... LOL

RE: Windows Vista Question by ShawnZ on 08-25-2005 at 04:43 PM

quote:
But my only problem is that it's a labtop.....it's not like I can slap in a video card and booom ...... LOL

One word, screwed.
RE: Windows Vista Question by brianjdupuis on 08-25-2005 at 04:46 PM

Well thanks anyways ShawnZ and everyone else on the forum! I just thought there would be some way to disable Windows Vista to not check System requirements or something along those lines.......

If anyone comes up with any idea's ill be checking back, and WOW its always nice to come back to the forums ..... reading some depressing stuff like how Patchou was saying about what everyone would think if this was his last release LOL! But Patchou do whatever you feel is right!

Thanks Everyone
Brian :)