Shoutbox

Google Talk is LIVE! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Google Talk is LIVE! (/showthread.php?tid=49411)

Google Talk is LIVE! by Dane on 08-24-2005 at 04:00 AM

California Based Google has launched its very own instant messaging application.  Google talk requires a Gmail account and allows you to make free PC-to-PC calls and uses your Gmail address book to talk.

Google Talk lacks emoticons, but features friendly bubbles with your friends latest messages to you.  The application is very small and very easy to use.

[Image: GoogleTalk-1.gif]
[Image: GoogleTalk-2.gif]

View: Google Talk Website

Source: TechnologyPulse.net

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 04:03 AM

Also, if you have another jabber client like Trillian or Exodus laying around, you can connect to the server 'talk.google.com' on the normal jabber port and use it that way, which offers a more powerful interface to Google Talk.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=519493]

Also, as you can see there is message continuation, which means if you type twice in a row it all goes into the same message. (Sort of annoying)

In the end, all this is is some guy setting up a jabber server on his box and moving the gmail accounts database onto it.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Hank on 08-24-2005 at 04:10 AM

looks neat , i just downloaded it, but i think it has Potential to be a good Competitor to MSN Messenger eventually

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by NiteMare on 08-24-2005 at 04:12 AM

there is already a thread on this wats next for google?

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 04:14 AM

That thread loses though.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by mwe99 on 08-24-2005 at 04:16 AM

lol trust me to say i dont like it :P

its quite good after you actually spend time using it , at first it looks ugh and VERY low in features, no emoticons, no cams, etc

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 04:18 AM

Then:

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Also, if you have another jabber client like Trillian or Exodus laying around, you can connect to the server 'talk.google.com' on the normal jabber port and use it that way, which offers a more powerful interface to Google Talk.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by NiteMare on 08-24-2005 at 04:19 AM

i don't have anyone to use it with:P

RE: RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Hank on 08-24-2005 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
lol trust me to say i dont like it :P

its quite good after you actually spend time using it , at first it looks ugh and VERY low in features, no emoticons, no cams, etc

its just a new IM Client give it time to get more features,  maybe its just a Test piece atm for the upcomming final one?..who knows
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Lou on 08-24-2005 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
i don't have anyone to use it with:P
yes me...lol but um....whats the thing about trillian? I need details to use it...I'm very slow at times
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by L. Coyote on 08-24-2005 at 04:26 AM

Meh, I'm testing it. It looks good, not great or anything because it lacks of options.

But if they improve it a little (it says Beta in the logo :p) they might come up with a nice little program. Btw, I like it because it's not bloated.... with anything! :p (dumb joke)

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 04:27 AM

sigh people its just another old jabber client get over it etc etc

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by mwe99 on 08-24-2005 at 04:27 AM

To me it seems more of a business program with the limited features but yes it is obviously being developed as we speak :)

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 04:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
To me it seems more of a business program with the limited features but yes it is obviously being developed as we speak :)

thats jabber for you, its used alot to create private lan servers and things like that since its a free open source IM server
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by albert on 08-24-2005 at 04:29 AM

this looks very professional to me, a lil to much tbh, most IM features arent really available, but it does have tabbed convos and some crazy neat appearences, also, coming from google, im sure we'll have less unavailable time than MSN.

ppl who want to try it oud, plz pm me with ur email

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Lou on 08-24-2005 at 04:29 AM

lmao @ Google Talk is not a telephony service and cannot be used for emergency dialing

EDIt: but tbh hate interface....how can I use this in trillian?

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Hank on 08-24-2005 at 05:27 AM

its still in BETA by the looks of it. .. has the Google Talk beta Logo on a Page http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/request.py

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 05:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
EDIt: but tbh hate interface....how can I use this in trillian?
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you can connect to the server 'talk.google.com' on the normal jabber port

stick that in jabber protocol connect options
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Fourjays on 08-24-2005 at 08:19 AM

I think it is great. :D

It has only what is NEEDED. Thats the ability to chat.

MSN7 was bloated, and MSN is wanting me to update to 7.5, which is even more bloated. The only reason I stuck with MSN so long, was MsgPlus - Patchou carefully thought about the features he was going to add, and has added useful features (I reckon Patchou should make his own Messenger system ;)). MSN have just bunged in a load of "fun" stuff that just adds loads of bugs at the same time (ie: those annoying winks, the ability to replace your text with emoticons, flashing/moving/animated bits all over the show).

In my view, Google have put only what is needed in Google Talk. Although one feature I think they defintely need is emoticons.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by user27089 on 08-24-2005 at 08:24 AM

I used it for a while, but it is really boring, nobody that I know has it, so there is nobody to chat to, it is a very simple program to use, and the user interface is very soft... I like it.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Max on 08-24-2005 at 08:40 AM

Yes, it looks really boring. I know Google's into simplicity and all, but you'd expect that if they wanted to compete with other IM Clients that they would give it a snazzy interface.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Fourjays on 08-24-2005 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches
Yes, it looks really boring. I know Google's into simplicity and all, but you'd expect that if they wanted to compete with other IM Clients that they would give it a snazzy interface.

Everybodies idea of "snazzy interface" is different, so it would be hard to please everyone. Your idea of snazzy might be something like a Mac look, or Longhorn look.... Someone elses idea of snazzy might be something that looks like curry three times passed through...

I like it. Its not great, but its nice. :p
I would rather it worked, than look nice...
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Tasha on 08-24-2005 at 08:51 AM

umm.. guys? It's still BETA? Or did it miraculously just become un-BETA? Anyway, send suggestions to them.. Thats what i've done.

I think it looks great! You don't need winks and freako backgrounds for a good conversations,(well, at least I dont (but, i really am feeling the lack of emoticons  :o )). It does all the simple things you would want a IM program to do. (well, at least what I wwould want an IM program to do.) it's good so far, can't wait to see future versions. And they'll probably take all suggestions into consideration too, so leave one here.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Max on 08-24-2005 at 08:55 AM

* Max only likes the way it pops up so you can browse your mail. :P

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Stab on 08-24-2005 at 08:55 AM

It's crap +o(

And it's a Beta and you need to have a gmail account...

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by kao on 08-24-2005 at 09:11 AM

Google talk fails at dual monitors

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Mippo on 08-24-2005 at 09:15 AM

It's meh! :D

Oh didn't realise this wasn't T&T... so I have to say something useful :P

It's kinda nice for a simple chatting program, works fine with all basic things. You don't want it if you like all the MSN7 stuff though..

RE: RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Lieter on 08-24-2005 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
Google talk fails at dual monitors

works fine on my dual monitors :)
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by kao on 08-24-2005 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stab
It's crap +o(

they only just started it, and so what? you need a passport for MSNM...

see, you lose at giving reasons for why it's crap.

quote:
Originally posted by Lieter
but do you use anything to have a taskbar on the second monitor? If not, then of course it works fine, because you only have a taskbar on one monitor =p
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by spokes on 08-24-2005 at 09:38 AM

quote:
It's crap

if its crap, make your own...
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Kryptonate on 08-24-2005 at 09:39 AM

quote:
It's crap +o(
I like it.. simple and clean.
quote:
And it's a Beta
Everything with Google is in beta ;), but their beta's are mostly pretty good.
quote:
you need to have a gmail account...
didn't most of us used to get a hotmail address just for MSN Messenger? While we just got an e-mailaddress from our ISP with more space than 2MB?
RE: RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Lieter on 08-24-2005 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
quote:
but do you use anything to have a taskbar on the second monitor? If not, then of course it works fine, because you only have a taskbar on one monitor =p

hmm with the smart taskbar with Ultra mon it doesnt show up in the 2nd taskbar(but i never use the smart taskbar ;))
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by PenguinBoy on 08-24-2005 at 09:41 AM

it's a bit minimalist, i personally am disappointed... it doesn't offer anything that wasn't available already. And i don't have a microphone so bollacks to that. I guess the fact that i's gmail integrated is a bonus. how exactly is this supposed to compete with other IMs, competition was what i was relying on.

I do however like the docking etc.  and winks and nudges are just annoying anyway.

i'm afraid that i'm not quite as torn as i thought i'd be, msn gives me everything i need. Google talk has less and i only have 3 or 4 friends with gmail.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Kryptonate on 08-24-2005 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PenguinBoy
it's a bit minimalist, i personally am disappointed... it doesn't offer anything that wasn't available already. And i don't have a microphone so bollacks to that. I guess the fact that i's gmail integrated is a bonus. how exactly is this supposed to compete with other IMs, competition was what i was relying on.

I do however like the docking etc.  and winks and nudges are just annoying anyway.

i'm afraid that i'm not quite as torn as i thought i'd be, msn gives me everything i need. Google talk has less and i only have 3 or 4 friends with gmail.
quote:
Originally posted by Google Talk About

15. What new features are you working on?

We could tell you, but then you'd have to promise to not talk about it... Joking aside, Google Talk is still in beta, and we're working hard to add features and make improvements. We're just not quite ready yet to reveal the other cool things we've got planned. We can say this, though: we believe strongly in user choice and open standards, and we are committed to letting users access Google Talk using the client and platform of their choice, as well as to enabling our users to talk with users from other service providers.

We also want to keep making Google Talk better and we want your ideas and feedback to help make this happen! Talk to us using the Help link in the Google Talk interface. Let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you'd really like.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by kao on 08-24-2005 at 09:45 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
quote:

hmm with the smart taskbar with Ultra mon it doesnt show up in the 2nd taskbar(but i never use the smart taskbar ;))
Ahh, i always use it, and google talk is the first program which has been a taskbar it shouldn't be on =)
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by spokes on 08-24-2005 at 09:49 AM

quote:

yes, but they can't just bring out the first version, and have EVERYTHING in it

a) it would take to long to make, and they need to test every new feature gradually, not all at once (so if it was me, i'd add one or 2 features, test it,  release it and then make more features etc.)

b) it gets people kinda excited when they have to wait for a new release, cause they start wondering whats gonna be in it
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by linx05 on 08-24-2005 at 10:12 AM

It's alright. I don't have any friends who have gmail accounts so I can't really test it out. But the thing I really like about it - 899kb and fast!

I don't think I will be using it in months to come, everyone is on MSN. So why bother.

But, good on google. I just wish MSN Messenger was so small and fast :(

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by hmaster on 08-24-2005 at 10:12 AM

Looks good but its more like alpha; with the lack of features, i like the convo hide though. Skinning would be really easy ;)

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by saralk on 08-24-2005 at 10:20 AM

I can't get it to work with Gaim, as a Jabber client, any ideas?

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Stab on 08-24-2005 at 10:22 AM

You need an invitation to have a Gmail account ;)
But yes it's easy to have one.

The big problem for me is that you can only chat with 1 contact at a time... You can't have a chat with 3 or more contacts... :(

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by hmaster on 08-24-2005 at 10:22 AM

You can change your screen name but its a pain in the ass to do it.

Sign in to your gmail account in web browser
[ Go to Settings
Click Accounts TAB
Click Visit google account settings ] *
On the left nav click name and more
Change you first name and last name to your screeny (they wil show altogether ie firstnamelastname)

If you want your actual emails to be sent without your screename and back to you normal name

Go back to the accounts tab and click Send mail as
Change to a custom name

:)

* or put https://www.google.com/accounts/EditUserInfo?service=mail in your browser

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Purity on 08-24-2005 at 10:31 AM

I hope people don't suggest stupid stuff..... :-/  like msn type of features....

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by hmaster on 08-24-2005 at 11:08 AM

i just want change name, emos and tabbed chats :P

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Tasha on 08-24-2005 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
i just want change name, emos and tabbed chats :P

it has tabbed chats already. :s

Drag the chats together, so that the top bar of one is on the bottom of the other, and you'll see they just stick together. :p
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by spokes on 08-24-2005 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
tabbed chats
already has it
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by PenguinBoy on 08-24-2005 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spokes
RE: Google Talk is LIVE!

quote:Originally posted by hmaster
    tabbed chats

already has it

yeah i just discovered the tab chat, how lush
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by kao on 08-24-2005 at 12:52 PM

i hope they don't change the look of it much, i really do like how simple it is, and if they add emoticons, you better be able to turn them off.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by PenguinBoy on 08-24-2005 at 12:53 PM

do u think there should be a way of sending files?

because on e-mail u have to upload, then the other person has to download, the only other way i know of to send a file is msn... sending from one computer to another.

also, what bout sharing pictures? maybe this could merge with "hello"!

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by kao on 08-24-2005 at 12:55 PM

quote:
do u think there should be a way of sending files?

because on e-mail u have to upload, then the other person has to download, the only other way i know of to send a file is msn... sending from one computer to another.

also, what bout sharing pictures? maybe this could merge with "hello"!
if (and i hope they do) they add file transfer, it should (and better :dodgy:) be alot quicker than over msn, msn transfers are pathetic =P
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by PenguinBoy on 08-24-2005 at 01:06 PM

when u put a star either side of something, like an action, it types it in bold

and when u write an emoticon, it colours it blue.

i'd be happy with 5 or 6 simplistic emoticons and a way to send documents. although i suppose it is free of msn-viruses.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by expert on 08-24-2005 at 01:10 PM

thats cool google makes everything there going to cotrol earth someday:fire:

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Kryptonate on 08-24-2005 at 01:55 PM

Don't know if anyone noticed yet, but when you type *text* in Google Talk your text will be bold

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
Don't know if anyone noticed yet, but when you type *text* in Google Talk your text will be bold

dont forget _underline_
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by segosa on 08-24-2005 at 02:34 PM

That's italic, ShawnZ. I wonder what underline is though..

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Rubber Stamp on 08-24-2005 at 03:34 PM

its got offline msges?

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Fourjays on 08-24-2005 at 03:59 PM

Just a thought, but wouldn't its abbreviation be "GT"? (au)

Kinda goes with it being fast and light. :p

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ipab on 08-24-2005 at 04:34 PM

quote:
any plans for a "talkplus!"?

i seriously doubt that patchou is upto making an entire new plugin for a still new IM, but there might be a phoenixlive :p, j/k im just trying to coax raceprouk to do it.
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Lou on 08-24-2005 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I can't get it to work with Gaim, as a Jabber client, any ideas?
same thign with me and trillian:(
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Garndell on 08-24-2005 at 05:52 PM

What is it with Google's ENDLESS Beta's?  I stopped using other IM's (AIM, YIM, ICQ etc) because I wanted to use Plus! and it's features.

Looks like something that belongs on Windows 3.1 (nearly).

The name.... well let's just say it won't be winning any awards on that front.

I'd probably use it WHEN/IF it finally leaves Beta and it has features at the very least on par with MSN with Plus!.  Other than that it's just another wasted program.

Used it for a day now, having spoken to everyone on MSN about it, only 1 person was willing to try it out.  Not a great start.  Based on my experience using the program, it's only get a 3/10 from me.

quote:
Originally posted by expert
thats cool google makes everything there going to cotrol earth someday:fire:

I can see it now....

Alarm clock beeps, advert for new Alarm comes up, beep, another advert...

Only way to remove the adverts... Buy the Pro version.
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-24-2005 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
What is it with Google's ENDLESS Beta's?  I stopped using other IM's (AIM, YIM, ICQ etc) because I wanted to use Plus! and it's features.

Um wtf? oh no, they release all of their software while its still in beta instead of waiting a couple months

Why so much software? because they're a growing company, like, they're google, its expected
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Lou on 08-24-2005 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Only way to remove the adverts... Buy the Pro version.
First of all are you sure you're talking about google talk? I see no adverts...second what pro version are you talking about?

quote:
Alarm clock beeps, advert for new Alarm comes up, beep, another advert...
huh?
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by PenguinBoy on 08-24-2005 at 10:00 PM

it could do with a "appear offline" function aswell

quote:
Looks like something that belongs on Windows 3.1 (nearly).

The name.... well let's just say it won't be winning any awards on that front.

I'd probably use it WHEN/IF it finally leaves Beta and it has features at the very least on par with MSN with Plus!.  Other than that it's just another wasted program.

Used it for a day now, having spoken to everyone on MSN about it, only 1 person was willing to try it out.  Not a great start.  Based on my experience using the program, it's only get a 3/10 from me.

i wouldn't say that it's a wasted program, it's just another option. it's simplistic and minimalist but delivers the essentials, the interface is very slick and very kool, and takes up hardly any of ur screen, the animated tabbing is genious. I'm also impressed by the conversation memory and also the speed of connection for voice conversations, the standard for voice conversation is very good indeed. If that's not ur priority, which i fully respect then i think ur obviously better off with the messenger which already satisfies your needs.

Main problem is that not enough people use gmail... it's the better e-mail, but although technology moves fast, the general population can't keep up. I think there should have been more emphasis in making the crossover from hotmail-gmail easier... i knew how to access my msn contact list and create an uploadable file with all my contact list... and i know how to make an msn acccount without having hotmail... but most people don't know and google could have made it easier.... however... even gmail, is officially a "beta" heaven knows what lays in store.

pah rant
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Garndell on 08-24-2005 at 10:09 PM

Seems like the IQ level in here dropped.  The pro comment is a reference to Google's primary means of profit, adverts.  As for Beta's, gmail is still in Beta yet it was ready for full release a long time ago now.  I'd like to see some things come out of Beta freeing up technicians for newer Beta products.

lou, grow a sense of humour, it's a joke.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by PenguinBoy on 08-24-2005 at 10:11 PM

quote:
grow a sense of humour, it's a joke.

he just didn't understand what u said :D:D
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by dotNorma on 08-25-2005 at 12:17 AM

O_o Google will own everything in time.

Anyhow, I would use it if I could connect to MSN Messenger because nobody would be willing to switch.

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by ShawnZ on 08-25-2005 at 12:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
O_o Google will own everything in time.

Anyhow, I would use it if I could connect to MSN Messenger because nobody would be willing to switch.

Trillian then
RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Hank on 08-25-2005 at 12:35 AM

dont use trillian if u intend on using IE7 Beta

RE: Google Talk is LIVE! by Fourjays on 08-25-2005 at 08:59 AM

quote:
I'd like to see some things come out of Beta freeing up technicians for newer Beta products.

I think it's a good sign that Google leave their software in BETA for so long. It means they are taking the time to ensure that all bugs are removed, before opening it as a full product. IMO, this is the right way to do it.

Slightly offtopic, but MSN7 BETA worked better for me than the final version. :s