Shoutbox

Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) (/showthread.php?tid=49461)

Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by GoGoHaRrY on 08-24-2005 at 09:32 PM

A time ago I added myself to my own contact-list, and gave myself a custom name "myself", later I removed myself from my own contact-list.

I never had problems with this until I installed MSN 7.5.0299, with this new version it looks like MSGplus overwrites my e-mailadress with the custom name I once set. This causes the problem MSN cannot sign in.

When I kill the "MSGPlus" process there is no sign-in problem, and my e-mailadress at the login prompt isn't overwritten by the custom name I once specified. And the login works again, without teh MSGplus program running.

I'm using Messenger Plus! 3.54.132.

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by Plik on 08-24-2005 at 10:49 PM

Bug confirmed

quote:
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0299
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.54.0132

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by RaceProUK on 08-26-2005 at 03:35 PM

This is because Messenger 7.5 didn't exist when Plus! 3.50 was released. This will be fixed in Plus! 3.60, I assure you.

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by chrisrowe on 08-27-2005 at 11:48 PM

Using custom names and adding yourself to your contacts is why. When signing in with 7.5.0299, Plus attempts to customize your email address to your custom name just before its sent off to login, thus you cannot login as it not your email being sent.

Few ways round this.
- Disable Custom Names
- Disable Plus sign in, then boot plus (can be tricky)
- Alter your custom name to your email address
- Remove yourself from your contacts!

Those having difficulty logging on to delete themselves, go into task manager and kill both msnmsgr.exe and MsgPlus.exe then reload MSN and sign in. If Plus is still enabled then you need to go to prefrences > general options > Misc, and alter the way Plus loads to Default then repeat.

Its come to my attention that although after deleting yourself from your contacts list your settings are still saved and thus your name will still be altered. To delete these setting you have to tinker with the registry which i dont advise unless you know what your doin. Unfortunately there is no set key to delete as the key is genertated from what appears to be a hash of your email so the best thing to do is tap down to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<YOUR EMAIL>\Contacts"  in regedit (Start > Run > regedit) then hit ctrl F and type in your custom name you had assigned in Plus, tick match whole string only and find it, this should highlight your custom name string. just delete that one registry entry. Kill plus and msn and boot as normal.

Sorry for the long windedness and perhaps lack of clarity.
Hope this helps people.

Please reply again if not or for help

Cheers, Chris

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by RaceProUK on 08-29-2005 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chrisrowe
Kill plus and msn and boot as normal.
You may not even need to do that, though it won't hurt to do so.
RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by Cjwipstar on 09-03-2005 at 12:36 PM

There is another way to get around this:

1) Attempt to login as per usual, but make sure to tick the boxes to remember username and password, Plus! will add the custom name and the login will fail.
2) Close the main MSN Messenger window.
3) Right-Click on the system tray icon, and go to 'Sign in as <your e-mail>'.

As long as the main window isn't open Plus! cannot replace your e-mail address with your custom name.

<~[Cjwipstar]~>

[edit]
This bug only occurs when the previous person to login (usually yourself) has had you as a custom name, as some people add themselves to their account and give themselves a custom name i.e. "Main Account" they can cause themselves login problems.
[/edit]

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by joao267 on 09-05-2005 at 01:34 AM

I think the problem is not all in custom names, Because I had  it on  and I don't have any problem.  But When my sister sigh in she activate the custom names and put colors on it. And when I tried to sign in with my mail, It gives an error. So i sigh in with her mail and I took the colors of the custom names. After that I sign in without problems

(Sorry bad english)

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by Patchou on 09-05-2005 at 02:53 AM

This bug will be fixed in version 3.60 :).

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by Th3rmal on 09-07-2005 at 08:30 AM

right now i cant sign in and i hav the all of the "symptoms" named above, but this is the first time that this has happened to me so im not sure y this has happened. until now i havnt had any problems with signing in

RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s) by darknezz on 09-07-2005 at 10:32 PM

It's an annoying bug but i found the best way around it was to go into plus options before signing into msn. Turn off all custom name options, then sign in. After signing in, turn on all custom names and walla, problem fixed (for the time you are online anyway) :)