Shoutbox

Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights (/showthread.php?tid=49496)

Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Supersonicdarky on 08-25-2005 at 01:55 PM

Yay! A halo movie! :D

quote:
Software giant Microsoft has signed a deal with both Universal and Twentieth Century Fox that will allow them to make a movie based on Microsoft's popular video game, "Halo". The studios paid Microsoft US$5 million for the rights.

Microsoft will also get a cut of box office ticket sales generated by the film. The deal ends months of speculation. Microsoft brought the "Halo" film idea to Hollywood last spring, with messengers in costume delivering scripts to studios.

Universal will take over the domestic distribution and the film's production, while Twentieth Century Fox will distribute the film overseas. They're aiming to release the film in the summer of 2007.

Source
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Negro_Joe on 08-25-2005 at 02:17 PM

Coolio! I always thought a Halo film would be cool! They shouldnt set it exactly on the game, They should develop the back story, a film of the first book would be good. "The Fall of Reach" explains how the  spartans were augemented and stuff im reaing it for the second time now, its not very well written but the story is good.

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Pinchichuv on 08-26-2005 at 04:43 PM

Former Columbia president Peter Schlessel, who served as a Hollywood liaison for Microsoft, is producing. 28 Days Later screenwriter Alex Garland was paid $1 million by Microsoft to write a script that met its approval. He'll now do a rewrite with studio notes, after which Universal will go out to directors.

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by CookieRevised on 08-26-2005 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
Yay! A halo movie! :D

quote:
[SNIPPED]
They're aiming to release the film in the summer of 2007.

That's less than 2 years to make a movie....
(even less if you take in account the time needed to get things started and finished)

Either it will
a) be a shitty movie (even for a "game2movie" movie)...
b) or that date is taken reaaaaaally optimistic...
c) they got tons and tons of money to pull this off in time...

take your pick...
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by saralk on 08-26-2005 at 06:33 PM

cool

every time i see the thread, i think there is some clever punnery with microsoft saying hello :p

but its not

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by absorbation on 08-26-2005 at 06:42 PM

I suck at the game i mean suck it's the only game i really suck and my friends all rock at i hate playing 4 player every amn for themselves :sad:

I doubt the film will be good a game into a film it's sually the other way around :)

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by x2zen on 08-26-2005 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
I doubt the film will be good a game into a film it's sually the other way around 
Dawn of the dead was originally a game and the movie was quite good :)

Lets give them a chance :)
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by mwe99 on 08-26-2005 at 06:57 PM

hmm halo movie, not too sure its always been just a game for me,,, like mario bros until they made a film lol

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Joe on 08-26-2005 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(even less if you take in account the time needed to get things started and finished)

Either it will
c) they got tons and tons of money to pulls this off...

take your pick...

I choose all three honestly... I LOVE Halo... but it won't turn out well..
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Jhrono on 08-26-2005 at 11:23 PM

Yeh, it will be good, those companys dont fool around in business, though i sucked at the game 8-)...

<offtopic>
Anyway, i'm seeing, Universal + 20th Century Fox paid 5 Million Dollars...i could have bought the movie rights if i had won euro millions :(
---
:lol:
</offtopic>

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Concord Dawn on 08-26-2005 at 11:41 PM

quote:

Either it will

take your pick...

3rd option. This is Microsoft we're talking about.
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by DJeX on 08-27-2005 at 12:13 AM

I don't know about you but I can't picture myself watch a movie about a game I've played and know the whole story to already. And btw its microsoft *caught* subliminial messengning *caught*

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Voldemort on 08-27-2005 at 03:58 AM

it will rock

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by TylerG on 08-27-2005 at 04:00 AM

That looks pretty cool.  But if it is a let down, I will shoot myself:P

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by saralk on 08-27-2005 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I don't know about you but I can't picture myself watch a movie about a game I've played and know the whole story to already. And btw its microsoft *caught* subliminial messengning *caught*

there is a lot of backstory to the game, if you have read the books you will know a little bit about it already.

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Anyway, i'm seeing, Universal + 20th Century Fox paid 5 Million Dollars...i could have bought the movie rights if i had won euro millions

they wouldn't have sold it to you, Microsoft get a got of box office takings, and Universal has a lot more resources to make a film than you do, so even if they made more money in the short term by selling it to you, the opportunity cost of selling it to you would be that they would not make as much money than if they sold it to Universal.

Also, we might get to see Master Cheif's head!!!!
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by haydos on 08-27-2005 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
That looks pretty cool.  But if it is a let down, I will shoot myself:P
It was nice knowing you:P

I think its hard to base a movie off a game because it can often remove any chance for the directors/screenwriters to introduce a lot of originality to the plot. I guess we shall see in a few years time...
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by .Roy on 08-27-2005 at 12:20 PM

Hmm this aught to be interesting.

they also made resident evil movie from the game, and mortal combat. those werent bad either.

whats the point with master chiefs head, we can see it on the cover already o.o

RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by saralk on 08-27-2005 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Hmm this aught to be interesting.

they also made resident evil movie from the game, and mortal combat. those werent bad either.

whats the point with master chiefs head, we can see it on the cover already o.o

yeah, in a helmet
RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by Eljay on 08-27-2005 at 02:13 PM

why bother, it would be better to make a film out of something that would actually be good as a film, like metal gear solid :P

RE: RE: Microsoft Sells "Halo" Film Rights by CookieRevised on 08-27-2005 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
quote:

Either it will

take your pick...

3rd option. This is Microsoft we're talking about.

erm no... MS isn't going to make any movie, they sold the movie rights from a game. Universal and Twentieth Century Fox are going to make that movie...

Also making movies costs a lot of money, _and_ time. 1.5-2 years time is a very tight schedule. What often happens is, to cut production time,  putting a lot of second level CGI in such movies and/or using small sound studios with huge painted backdrops and models instead of using huge outdoors sound stages.

Technology has improved a lot though. So what is considered top-notch CGI 5 years ago is now 2nd, 3rd level CGI. But anyways, the figures given in the original news bulletin are very tight and raises some questions about the quality, and sounds more like milking the dead cow (as the hype is over) than anything else.

But of course, who says those figures are absolutely correct. Or who says plans aren't already much further than that news bulletin says (this often happens).

All we can do is wait and see and hope for the best...