Shoutbox

Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? (/showthread.php?tid=49517)

Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by albert on 08-25-2005 at 09:41 PM

I just bought a mem key, and I was wondering if there was a way of putting a password on it so that not everyone can plug it in and have access to the drive.

Any idea on how to do this?

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by Concord Dawn on 08-25-2005 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
I just bought a mem key, and I was wondering if there was a way of putting a password on it so that not everyone can plug it in and have access to the drive.

Any idea on how to do this?

Might be possible by encrypting the files in Windows (Google for a HowTo)
RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by Sunshine on 08-25-2005 at 09:44 PM

In most cases you can download additional software to put things like that on your usb pen, look into the manual it might tell you if there is and where to get it ;)

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by Kryptonate on 08-25-2005 at 09:44 PM

Some usb key manufacturers provide software for passwords. Maybe you can find something on your manufacturers site.

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by Millenium_edition on 08-25-2005 at 09:48 PM

you could consider using winzip to encrypt your data too (or winrar/winace for better compression)

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by albert on 08-25-2005 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn

Good idea, but that will only encrypt one file right? I would like to encrypt a whole folder..

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
In most cases you can download additional software to put things like that on your usb pen, look into the manual it might tell you if there is and where to get it ;)

Nothing in the manual.. I already check.. I also tryed to go on the manufacter site ( http://www.kingston.com ) but that wasn't succesful either.

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
Some usb key manufacturers provide software for passwords. Maybe you can find something on your manufacturers site.

Same

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
you could consider using winzip to encrypt your data too (or winrar/winace for better compression)

Smart idea too.. but the problem is, most computer on which I will be using the key do not have winzip installed. :(
RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by Millenium_edition on 08-25-2005 at 09:57 PM

depending on the file type, you can encrypt them with the file handler (like ms office documents)

(you can always drag files into your word document and password-protect it afterwards :chrongue:)

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by mwe99 on 08-25-2005 at 09:58 PM

My USB came with a software disk to install password protection if i needed, have you doubled checked its not on the disk?

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by ShawnZ on 08-25-2005 at 10:06 PM

I used to have a CMD file that encrypted disks. I might write another one again if you need it, eg can't just use a passworded rar or something

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by albert on 08-25-2005 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
My USB came with a software disk to install password protection if i needed, have you doubled checked its not on the disk?

No Disk comes with my USB Drive :(

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
depending on the file type, you can encrypt them with the file handler (like ms office documents)

(you can always drag files into your word document and password-protect it afterwards :chrongue:)

:| How did I not think of that? That would work.. but I need to lock some folders too.. how can i do that?

RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by ShawnZ on 08-25-2005 at 10:36 PM

quote:

Smart idea too.. but the problem is, most computer on which I will be using the key do not have winzip installed.

Self extracting archive or put the winzip setup on the key or install it on the other computer, etc etc
RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by albert on 08-26-2005 at 03:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

Smart idea too.. but the problem is, most computer on which I will be using the key do not have winzip installed.

Self extracting archive or put the winzip setup on the key or install it on the other computer, etc etc

Can't Install Anything On the other computer.. :(

quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
After 5 min, google presents:

TrueCrypt 3.1a

http://www.truecrypt.org/download.php?file=truecrypt-3.1a.zip

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Cryptainer LE

http://www.cypherix.com/download/cryle.exe

http://www.cypherix.com/cryptainerle/index.htm

One of them is small, both are free, and one is open source. 

Life is good.

Tried them both.. ain't what I need
RE: RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by segosa on 08-26-2005 at 05:49 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn

Good idea, but that will only encrypt one file right? I would like to encrypt a whole folder..

No, what would the use of winzip/winrar be if it couldn't archive folders?

Anyway, my USB pen drive came with password protection program, and stupidly the other day I decided to try it out. Well, guess what, after it had been protected (through an exe on a virtual floppy drive it creates) I tried unlocking it, but the program to do that just gave me an error "Please insert the device".

I tried everything, but there's no way.. now I can't access the disk. It's completely unusable. (and no it's not some easy-to-bypass thing, it actually causes Windows to not recognise the drive until you unlock it).

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

Can't Install Anything On the other computer.. :(

Self extracting archive means you don't need to install anything.
RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by albert on 08-26-2005 at 07:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa

But will that work on Win 95/98 ?
RE: Adding A Password To A USB Memory Key? by ShawnZ on 08-26-2005 at 07:59 AM

quote:
quote:

But will that work on Win 95/98 ?

-_-

Its its own program, it works on EVERY computer that programs work on :/

quote:
No, what would the use of winzip/winrar be if it couldn't archive folders?

Concord dawn suggested ntfs encryption I think there....