Shoutbox

wtf , worm? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: wtf , worm? (/showthread.php?tid=49576)

wtf , worm? by expert on 08-27-2005 at 01:57 AM

i am wondering waht this is my cousin accepted it on his friends comp:P
is it a worm virus or just plain out bad?? it sends that link every 30- 40 minutes it send a link to soe program thats named after you, well its annoying and if anyone could tell me how to get rid of it that would be great im not stupid enogh to accept it it would help him and his friends comp :P

RE: wtf , worm? by [MR] on 08-27-2005 at 01:59 AM

i dont understand what your saying.

RE: wtf , worm? by expert on 08-27-2005 at 02:03 AM

hmm i have a pic ok here [img=http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7079/wtf0sa.th.jpg]

RE: wtf , worm? by [MR] on 08-27-2005 at 02:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by expert
hmm i have a pic ok here [img=http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7079/wtf0sa.th.jpg]

i still dont understand what the problem is except that a link will appear.
RE: wtf , worm? by expert on 08-27-2005 at 02:07 AM

it gives you a link to a prgram that screws up your comp

RE: wtf , worm? by [MR] on 08-27-2005 at 02:08 AM

hmm run some anti spyware and anti virus scanners

RE: wtf , worm? by Dane on 08-27-2005 at 05:52 AM

This is the virus outbreak of W32.IRCBot.  Another report I was just on my way to reply to also came in today.  Symantec has issued RapidRelease Virus Defintions for this thread, so users of Norton AntiVirus can download and apply them for immediate protection.

Information: W32.IRCBot

Rapid Release Virus Definitions: Download Here for Immediate Protection

RE: wtf , worm? by Fergy on 08-27-2005 at 09:19 AM

How to remove the W32.IRCBot messenger virus
Based on info by Symantec Security Repsonse

Step 1: Killing the process

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up the windows task manager
  • Click on the processes tab (if you are using an older version of Windows, eg: Windows 98. Do not worry about this step
  • Scroll down to the process: winapii.exe, and click End Process (or End Task for older versions of windows
Step 2: Removing the files
  • Navigate to where Windows is installed on your hard drive (Usually C:\Windows)
  • Find and delete the folder named: Winapii
Step 3: Fixing the registry
  • Open your registry editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
  • Delete the key named winapii
    (For a small tutorial on this, go to this site, because deleting the wrong keys could corrupt Windows).
Step 4: Finalising the removal
  • Clean out your recycle bin to totally remove the files from your HDD.
  • Do a complete system scan of your system to make sure that no other files have been infected

RE: wtf , worm? by dennis on 08-27-2005 at 10:50 PM

o this has been out for a long time i think because all my friends send me that... everytime

RE: wtf , worm? by Sunshine on 08-27-2005 at 11:14 PM

A stand-alone utility (you can use this alongside your own Av program) that will remove this one is Avert Stinger ;)

RE: wtf , worm? by Fergy on 08-28-2005 at 12:03 AM

why would there be rapid release versions of the virus if it allready existed for some time?

RE: wtf , worm? by Dane on 08-28-2005 at 12:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fergy
why would there be rapid release versions of the virus if it allready existed for some time?

Computer Viruses are like real viruses, they mutate over time.  In this specific situation, i'd guess that this version was edited somehow to evade virus scanning signatures which is why it required a new one.
RE: wtf , worm? by expert on 08-28-2005 at 01:22 AM

tank you every one my couin will thank you

RE: wtf , worm? by CookieRevised on 08-28-2005 at 01:41 AM

Can we keep this to one thread please?

see new virus?

That thread was created before this one and is about exactly the same malware, please seach before posting a post and/or creating a thread....