Shoutbox

Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash (/showthread.php?tid=49589)

Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash by Smethead on 08-27-2005 at 10:45 AM

A friend of mine has some dodgy weird characters in his nickname. He doesn't know how they get there and doesn't know how to remove them. He doesn't see them himself. I, myself only see the characters when I open a conversation with him.
The problem started when I installed MSN 7.5. I hadn't had any problems before.
I also don't have problems when MsgPlus! isn't loaded.
These are the characters I mean:
[Image: 1.JPG]
I've took that picture when Plus! wasn't loaded.
When Plus! is loaded and I start a convo with the guy, I can't see the convo window. And the contact list gets messed up:
[Image: 2.JPG]

I've tried the custom names feature, but that didn't help either. Then this happens:
[Image: 3.JPG]

I hope this gets fixed soon.

For the record (thanks to Cookie for reminding me):
MSN version: 7.5.299
Plus! version: 3.54.132
Windows version: Windows XP version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2)

I have no other plugins installed.
RE: Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash by mwe99 on 08-27-2005 at 04:51 PM

It could be a minor Plus! error, don't forget 7.5 isnt completely compatable with Plus but the version is in development :)

RE: Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash by dennis on 08-27-2005 at 10:41 PM

lol thats pretty ****ed  up hmm try uninstalling it by going to start, settings, control panel and add and remove programs and find Messenger Plus or msn 7 or whatever msn u have...

RE: Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash by ShawnZ on 08-27-2005 at 10:44 PM

out of memory and losing font info? odd unicode chars at the beginning of his name? the list goes on...

RE: Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash by Smethead on 08-28-2005 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
lol thats pretty ****ed  up hmm try uninstalling it by going to start, settings, control panel and add and remove programs and find Messenger Plus or msn 7 or whatever msn u have...

Tried that. Uninstalled Plus! and MSN, restarted and reinstalled. Same problems.

I've ordered a new motherboard, processor, VGA-card and Memory to upgrade my pc. They should arrive in a couple of days. I hope that solves the lack of memory. I'm gonna do a format and reinstall everything from scratch.
RE: Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash by Patchou on 08-29-2005 at 10:27 PM

I would appreciate if you could send me the complete exact name of your contact. To do that, right click on the contact in the contact list, select "Messenger Plus! Extra" and "Contact Information...". Thsi window will allow you to copy the name and past it in a text file.

Just send this text file at mplus@patchou.com and I'll look into it :).

RE: Weird characters cause Plus! and MSN to crash by Smethead on 08-30-2005 at 11:21 AM

Hmmm, I'm beginning to think something else is causing the problem.
It's the display picture enlargement feature from stuffplug-ng. I found this out by setting a bigger picture than 96x96 as my dp and MSN started to crash with everyone i was talking to.
That contact had probably an enlarged dp set and that was causing msn to crash. I switched off the dp's of contacts, tried to talk to that contact with the weird characters and success.

I guess this topic doesn't belong here than. I'll report it on the stuffplug forums.
Sorry to bother you guys about it.

[edit]I downloaded the new beta version of stuffplug-ng and that seemed to slove it. The contact had indeed a dp from different dimensions.[/edit]