Shoutbox

"cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" (/showthread.php?tid=49599)

"cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-27-2005 at 03:48 PM

ok... for the past 3 weeks ive been moddin my comp an tryin to sort this thing out wit the usual, clear the cache... download some more updates... makes sure the security is correctly set-up... etc. However, every time i go to read my unread emails i am confronted with "cannot find server"... either that or the sign in for .Net Passport, which when i sign in it returns to the ever familiar "cannot find server"... Can any of you MSN scientists out there help me?? is it just Microsoft picking on a handsome little teenager??? [Image: msn_cry.old.gif] <sniff><sniff>...

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Sunshine on 08-27-2005 at 04:11 PM

See if doing this helps:
start > run > type: regsvr32 softpub.dll <enter>

Also check out your hosts file, more info about that can be found here. The examples are for Plus! but the same goes for any site you can't reach ;)

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-27-2005 at 05:25 PM

hmmm... thnx for the info, seems tho this could work... gimme a sec... <types furiously>.... strange... the run thing did summet but my HOSTS file has no blocked sites atm.. hmm... any more suggestions???

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Sunshine on 08-27-2005 at 05:33 PM

If neither of that works (after a reboot), contact microsoft about the problem. It might be something with your .NET passport.

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-27-2005 at 05:35 PM

kk, thnx for the info, uh-oh... microsoft is sayin it cannot find the server to the contact or help areas of its website... damn you microsoft!!!

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Sunshine on 08-27-2005 at 05:38 PM

Hmm, have you updated windows?

These pages may need 128 bits encryption (IE6).

Also check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL 3.0' is checked, then click OK.

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-27-2005 at 06:17 PM

Grrr.... now this is starting to take the primordial... ive updated windows with sum updates, and nothing. hmm... looked for more updates on the microsoft website and upon clicking on microsoft updates come across... "cannot find server".... checked the secrurity and am on the verge of tears.... please, any1, help me!!!

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Sunshine on 08-27-2005 at 07:06 PM

Have you rebooted your comp before going to windowsupdate again? This is often needed. Wich OS are you running and wich version of IE? Is your Windows version legal?

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-28-2005 at 08:14 AM

erm... legal? lol, im just going to try getting a new e-mail address, see if that brings any luck, other than that i think its a new version of windows i am going to have to purchase... thanks for the help Sunshine ;)(yn)

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-28-2005 at 08:16 AM

for the IE and OS versions.. if you tell me how to obtain them then i will happily tell you, all i can tell you is that in my temp internet files it has the directory 'IE.5' if thats any help...

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stephen_wq on 08-28-2005 at 10:24 AM

that would be Content.IE5, which i have even though i have IE6.
i cant think of anything else to say, as Subshine said everything i would have and more

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Sunshine on 08-28-2005 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
erm... legal? lol, im just going to try getting a new e-mail address, see if that brings any luck, other than that i think its a new version of windows i am going to have to purchase... thanks for the help Sunshine
I hope a new e-mailaddy/.NET passport will work, try a free hotmailadress for your .NET passport ;) You're welcome :D

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
for the IE and OS versions.. if you tell me how to obtain them then i will happily tell you, all i can tell you is that in my temp internet files it has the directory 'IE.5' if thats any help...
OS version: start > controlpanel > system..it's on the tab you'll see first (general tab)
IE version: start IE, in the menu go to Help > info/about
RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-28-2005 at 11:10 AM

ok, IE verison is (i jst gona type it all, i dont know which parts would be relevant);
'6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.650301.1519' and it also says my cypher strength is 128-bit, which might relate to that security need that it mightve been you said awhile ago, as for OS version all i can see that is says is under 'System' it says
'Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2' ... dunno if that is any help

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Sunshine on 08-28-2005 at 12:17 PM

Looking at that i'd say it should be ok, you got the correct IE version and all.

Asfor the windowsupdates you need to have genuine windows as it needs to be validated to get updates manually (if not genuine you can still get them by enabling automatic updates i believe: controlpanel > system > automatic updates tab).

Did getting another emailaddy/.NET passport work?

There's another program that can help you out solving windowsproblems, it's called BigFix. Their homepage seems to be offline atm, but you can read about it and download it here.

This program recently helped me fix updating problems with an old comp working on Win ME wich hadn't been updated for years (it wouldn't update anymore).

Edit: thank you :$ and you're welcome :D

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-28-2005 at 12:46 PM

hmmm... i'll see if BigFix can help, i tried to get a new .NET passport, but guess what? when i clicked on the link to do so via the microsoft website it came up with; "cannot find server". I'll try the program and post any fixes that BigFix comes up with, thanks for all the great help, ure a (*), thanks again! [Image: msn_wink.old.gif]

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Negro_Joe on 08-28-2005 at 02:57 PM

I bet thats annoying! Youre probs better off contacting Microsoft!

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-28-2005 at 04:52 PM

**Read earlier threads, when i click on the link to contact Microsoft it says it "Cannot find Server", lol

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by Sunshine on 08-28-2005 at 07:13 PM

I don't know if you can reach this Microsoft site, but it holds a phonenumber that you can call should everything else fail.

Incase you can't view the site:
Microsoft Contact Centre: 0870 60 10 100
(this is the number for the UK, i checked your profile to determine the country..note: they probably will ask for productnumber, so you do need genuine Windows)

RE: "cannot find the freakin Microsoft server" by stoshrocket on 08-28-2005 at 07:41 PM

ok, new info, im on my user and everything goes and says it cannot find the server, so i try and fix the problew myself. After failing many a time i do the knoble thing any 15yr old teenager would do and ran to his dad with tears in his eyes (joke, i walked to my dad, lol). So, he comes, loggs onto HIS user and everything runs smoothly... hmm.... so, im just going to use his user to determine what is wrong with my user, Thankc again for all the help sunshine ure a (*), (l) ya, Methos