Shoutbox

Feature request: E-mail group - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Feature request: E-mail group (/showthread.php?tid=49624)

Feature request: E-mail group by krazzi on 08-28-2005 at 02:15 AM

Hi there,

I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if you could e-mail a whole group in a single mail?

RE: Feature request: E-mail group by CookieRevised on 08-28-2005 at 02:17 AM

Hi,

This was asked before...

But no, spamming would be made easier if such thing was added...

Also, not everybody in the group might want his email address to be exposed to the others.

And, not all MSN .NET Passports are used for emailing.

;)

RE: RE: Feature request: E-mail group by krazzi on 08-28-2005 at 02:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Asked before...
But no, spamming would be made easier if such thing was added...

Also, not everybody in the group might want his email address to be exposed to the others.

And, not all MSN .NET Passports are used for emailing.

Too bad... didn't even think about the spam problem *-)

And about the e-mail adresses being exposed BCC works just fine ;-)

That's true, not all the .NET passports are used for mailing, but still it could be handy.
RE: Feature request: E-mail group by ddunk on 08-28-2005 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by krazzi
Hi there,

I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if you could e-mail a whole group in a single mail?

If you're using a @hotmail.com address (possibly @msn.com too,) you can go to compost a new message in Hotmail and the groups from your contact list should be in the right column.
RE: RE: Feature request: E-mail group by krazzi on 08-28-2005 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

If you're using a @hotmail.com address (possibly @msn.com too,) you can go to compost a new message in Hotmail and the groups from your contact list should be in the right column.

Yeah that's true, but I have my own domain and I'm using Thunderbird, so I guess that won't be an option.
RE: Feature request: E-mail group by L. Coyote on 08-28-2005 at 02:51 AM

You can export a group into a CTT file, open it in WordPad or NotePad, delete the unnecessary tags and separate the emails with commas (,), saving it as a .cvs file.

Then, you can import it in your Thunderbird address book (Tools => Address Book => Tools => Import...).

RE: Feature request: E-mail group by LittleK on 08-28-2005 at 05:00 PM

Thats a

quote:

And, not all MSN .NET Passports are used for emailing

Was just thinking, there should be something to actually stop spam emails... e.g a popup when somebody trys to use your email with say 10+ others, to check if they want theyre email to be used. If theyre offline... an email should be sent direct to them saying "suchandsuch@hotmail.com tried to send an email to you along with many other emails...Would you like to accept?" And the person whos sending the email can send it to everybody who accepts, and to the offline contacts when they come online and accept.
RE: Feature request: E-mail group by Eljay on 08-28-2005 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
Thats a
quote:

And, not all MSN .NET Passports are used for emailing

Was just thinking, there should be something to actually stop spam emails... e.g a popup when somebody trys to use your email with say 10+ others, to check if they want theyre email to be used. If theyre offline... an email should be sent direct to them saying "suchandsuch@hotmail.com tried to send an email to you along with many other emails...Would you like to accept?" And the person whos sending the email can send it to everybody who accepts, and to the offline contacts when they come online and accept.

wtf thats a stupid idea :S

if you wanted to accept, its pointless and you have to read 2 emails to get the message, if you didnt want to accept (because its annoying) then you wouldnt want to be annoyed by this message
RE: Feature request: E-mail group by LittleK on 08-28-2005 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
wtf thats a stupid idea

if you wanted to accept, its pointless and you have to read 2 emails to get the message, if you didnt want to accept (because its annoying) then you wouldnt want to be annoyed by this message

If you didnt want the message, youd be annoyed by both messages, including the one you were sent. Wouldnt you like to have a choice?

And also, you could configure it to delete messages from certain people who send emails with over 10 email address' on. If you knew the people of course and knew they were famous for sending stupid emails. Just an idea
RE: Feature request: E-mail group by CookieRevised on 08-28-2005 at 11:10 PM

The idea itself, of doing something against spam, isn't stupid at all.

Unfortunatly, in practice, it doesn't work that way. A program, or anybody for that matter, can't control what an individual would do. If the individual want to spam, there is nothing which holds him/her back; a spammer is also not going to install a program which holds him back in spamming.

All we can do is to make it a bit more difficult and/or less obvious to use certain methods.

But the initial idea wasn't stupid at all ;)

RE: RE: Feature request: E-mail group by krazzi on 08-31-2005 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
You can export a group into a CTT file, open it in WordPad or NotePad, delete the unnecessary tags and separate the emails with commas (,), saving it as a .cvs file.

Then, you can import it in your Thunderbird address book (Tools => Address Book => Tools => Import...).

Didn't know this... thanks for the tip... I'll give it a try!

If people would really like to spam, they could easily use the CTT file to spam. It would be even easier to write a program which uses a template and parses the CTT file and mass mails the whole list since it's XML.

I really think it's a pity Messenger Plus! doesn't have a function like this.
RE: Feature request: E-mail group by LittleK on 09-01-2005 at 01:49 AM

quote:

Dont you think messenger plus would get too full with little add ons like this? Use the space wisely i say.
RE: RE: RE: Feature request: E-mail group by CookieRevised on 09-01-2005 at 06:48 AM

quote:
If people would really like to spam, they could easily use the CTT file to spam. It would be even easier to write a program which uses a template and parses the CTT file and mass mails the whole list since it's XML.

yes they could do that. But no, most don't bother to do it because it takes many steps to do it (or some programming skills to make it automatically). This is the whole point; adding features like this makes things a lot easier for spammers and thus are potentially harmfull (not to mention for the average user it isn't that usefull at all).

RE: RE: RE: RE: Feature request: E-mail group by krazzi on 09-01-2005 at 05:12 PM

quote:
quote:

yes they could do that. But no, most don't bother to do it because it takes many steps to do it (or some programming skills to make it automatically). This is the whole point; adding features like this makes things a lot easier for spammers and thus are potentially harmfull (not to mention for the average user it isn't that usefull at all).

That's true. But thanks again for all the help, exporting the contact list to a CTT file and importing it un Thunderbird saves me a lot of trouble!
RE: Feature request: E-mail group by Concord Dawn on 09-02-2005 at 01:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
Hi there,

Correct, both of those address mean you have mail. But, to conteract Cookie's quote, it doesn't matter unless you have an @passport.net or @messengeruser.com account. Else, it will just get forwarded to whatever mail system they use :)
RE: RE: Feature request: E-mail group by CookieRevised on 09-05-2005 at 05:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
But, to conteract Cookie's quote, it doesn't matter unless you have an @passport.net or @messengeruser.com account. Else, it will just get forwarded to whatever mail system they use :)
How is that conteracting anything I said? Besides, a @passport.net or @messengeruser.com mailing system doesn't exist yet, but they might be in the futur. So saying that by using those you can't get spam is only temporarly and even isn't a valid reason at all to add a kind of mass mailing option.