Shoutbox

Odd File Format [At least to me] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Odd File Format [At least to me] (/showthread.php?tid=49725)

Odd File Format [At least to me] by zaidgs on 08-30-2005 at 01:25 PM

the actual files are .rar ,,, i know rar, the archiving format....
what i am not used to are files like this:

any_file_name.part01.rar
any_file_name.part02.rar
any_file_name.part03.rar
any_file_name.part04.rar
any_file_name.part56.rar

all these files in one directory..... extracting any of the files seperately doesnt make sense,, and actually fails most of the time.......

does anyone know how to reproduce the original files? this was supposed to be a dvd copy or something ripped of a dvd,, and i saw this format a couple of times on bittorrent....
i am not sure that this format has anything to do directly with dvds, but it just happens that all the time i see this, it is a rip off from a dvd.

please help...

RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by Supersonicdarky on 08-30-2005 at 01:28 PM

*cough* http://shoutbox.menthix.net/rules.html *cough*

No warez :) (or warez help for that matter)

RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by zaidgs on 08-30-2005 at 01:31 PM

well, its a question about a file format, its not about wares or anything.... you are just like someone who assumes that anyone asking what is the use of .iso files as helping sm1 copying illegal cds :S

i know the rules :D

RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by Supersonicdarky on 08-30-2005 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
i see this, it is a rip off from a dvd.

This is called assuming? :undecided:
RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by -dt- on 08-30-2005 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
This is called assuming? [Image: xso_undecided.gif]
never assume.
anyway theres nothing about wares here , for all we know it could be a free tv show dvd or something.

[Image: xso_undecided.gif] normally opening the first one up in winrar then extracting that extracts all of them

RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by Supersonicdarky on 08-30-2005 at 01:39 PM

Crap, i lost :( (i suck at debates)

RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by zaidgs on 08-30-2005 at 01:40 PM

it wuz just a hint to help anyone know what kind of file that is.... back to my .iso files, if u know that it is supposed to represent a cd then u might guess its use more quickly

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
normally opening the first one up in winrar then extracting that extracts all of them
but it did not

[edit:] coorection: it did work :$ i used winace (a general archiving program) but it didnt work, although they say they fully supported .rar files,, now i removed it and used winrar and it worked.... thanks -dt-

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
Crap, i lost (i suck at debates)
dont frown, its just me,, im too good at debates :P (H) jk :P
RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by segosa on 08-30-2005 at 02:42 PM

All you do is extract one of those part rar files (any, it doesn't matter) and automatically it will find the others and extract them too, into whatever was in the original archive.

RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by prashker on 08-30-2005 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
All you do is extract one of those part rar files (any, it doesn't matter) and automatically it will find the others and extract them too, into whatever was in the original archive.

Ya the reason there like that is wehen u compress something it goes smaller but when u split the rar into 50 it makes it even smaller. And plus when u download somestuff like that the more files the better 1 big file hogs ur bandwith.
RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by Concord Dawn on 08-30-2005 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Ya the reason there like that is wehen u compress something it goes smaller but when u split the rar into 50 it makes it even smaller. And plus when u download somestuff like that the more files the better 1 big file hogs ur bandwith.

Actually, splitting it into smaller parts can corrupt the data. The advantage of having small rars is that you can easily resume a download by just starting at the last complete RAR part.
RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by prashker on 08-30-2005 at 03:07 PM

im sure before a file of 50split rars is put on the net im sure they test em.

RE: RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by CookieRevised on 08-30-2005 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Ya the reason there like that is wehen u compress something it goes smaller but when u split the rar into 50 it makes it even smaller.
no, it even makes it larger!

And it would be very logical too, as each file has his own headers and stuff, which increases the total filesize. The only reason it is done is so it is more convenient to download. With seperate files you also have less change of needing to start your download again from the beginning because of some corruption, as you may just restart 1 file out of x instead of the whole 1gb download...

-----------------

zaidgs, your entire post shouts "illegal downloaded DVD here"...

And we are not supposed to be helping people with illegal stuff. Why? because now you know how it works, you could start searching for especially such stuff as you now know how to handle it. If we didn't helped you, chances are that you just gave up...

RE: RE: RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by segosa on 08-30-2005 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The only reason it is done is so it is more convenient to download. With seperate files you also have less change of needing to start your download again from the beginning because of some corruption

So why do they use multipart rars with the bittorrent protocol when that supports resuming by default anyway? They're all bastards and they hate us.
RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by zaidgs on 08-30-2005 at 11:41 PM

well, i totally see no point in spanning files onto multiple rars, but a normal .iso file would have been more suitable, and could hav been used even more easily with a program like deamon tools.... the problem seems that winace didnt support spanning .rar files....

RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by Ezra on 08-30-2005 at 11:48 PM

quote:
So why do they use multipart rars with the bittorrent protocol when that supports resuming by default anyway? They're all bastards and they hate us.

I think that's because they made the package for other networks besides Torrents too, so it can be in one folder and on multiple networks like IRC, Torrent, Shareaza, Fasttrack, etc.etc :)
RE: Odd File Format [At least to me] by ShawnZ on 08-31-2005 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
well, i totally see no point in spanning files onto multiple rars, but a normal .iso file would have been more suitable, and could hav been used even more easily with a program like deamon tools.... the problem seems that winace didnt support spanning .rar files....
It is just an iso. packed into 50 split rars. Winrar can do it btw.

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
quote:

I think that's because they made the package for other networks besides Torrents too, so it can be in one folder and on multiple networks like IRC, Torrent, Shareaza, Fasttrack, etc.etc [Image: msn_happy.gif]
actually it usually starts out as one rar on irc, then gets split up to 50 and torrented. :<