Shoutbox

Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... (/showthread.php?tid=49748)

Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-30-2005 at 10:52 PM

As you all know, open convo notifier isnt 100% reliable because of Microsoft "clicks" to retrieve your DP...

But alas, to figure out a geniune "click" from a microsoft one, do this:

When you get a pop up saying someones opened your convo, click it to open theres too.

Leave it open, but minimize it

Usually, if a person hasnt spoke in the convo, it most likley means its a microsoft click. BUT, after around 2 minutes, if it says the person has left the convo before theyve spoke, for me it means its a geniune click and theyve closed the box again. If nothing happens and the convo stays open, theyve either opened it and left it, or its a microsoft click.. The way to distinguish the two is simple: If youve spoke to the person earlier in the day, its a geniune click because microsoft already has the DP's. If you havent spoke to them yet, its a microsoft click.

Now it all seems a little jumbled up i know, and probably wrong because of many things
(they could just leave the convo open, but i dont know anyone who does that...)
but it could be looked into and hey i might be right :P

Thoughts?

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by absorbation on 08-30-2005 at 10:54 PM

i would try not having a display picture i have and it seems better ;)

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-30-2005 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
i would try not having a display picture i have and it seems better

Thats a good idea... but i kinda like my DP lol Id be lost without it now...part of msn for me :P but its good thinking
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by Dreth on 08-30-2005 at 11:10 PM

Just don't use the Open-Conversation-Notifier...it's not important, the important one is the Close-Conversation one, and the only "fake" one is when it says "has left the conversation" after 15 seconds of inactivity. If it happens again, it means the person really did close the window.

Or if it says "left the conversation" soon after a message was sent by the other person, it obviously means they closed it.

Whar the hell would you want to know when they OPEN the window for?

TO go ahead of them and type "AHA I CAUGHT YOU! I TYPED FIRST!" ?

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-30-2005 at 11:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dreth

Just don't use the Open-Conversation-Notifier...it's not important, the important one is the Close-Conversation one, and the only "fake" one is when it says "has left the conversation" after 15 seconds of inactivity. If it happens again, it means the person really did close the window.

Or if it says "left the conversation" soon after a message was sent by the other person, it obviously means they closed it.

Whar the hell would you want to know when they OPEN the window for?

TO go ahead of them and type "AHA I CAUGHT YOU! I TYPED FIRST!"

I know, i use closed notifier, love it.

And the reason for open convo notifier is 1) is a good block checker, if the dummies sto0pid enough to open your convo when theyve blocked you. And 2) if someone claims theyre not there, and they open your convo, youve caught them out :P Has many uses.
RE: RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by FrozenDaggers on 08-30-2005 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dreth
What the hell would you want to know when they OPEN the window for?

TO go ahead of them and type "AHA I CAUGHT YOU! I TYPED FIRST!" ?

He's got a point. And tbh, I think all those notifiers are pointless, who really cares if someone's opened/closed the window? lol

quote:
And the reason for open convo notifier is 1) is a good block checker, if the dummies sto0pid enough to open your convo when theyve blocked you. And 2) if someone claims theyre not there, and they open your convo, youve caught them out :P  Has many uses.

Hmm, tbh, I don't think that's anything important lol. Sometimes people are set to away because they're busy... and someone blocks you cause you've annoyed them or whatever. Shrug. This is just my opinion though. heh
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by ShawnZ on 08-30-2005 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
2) if someone claims theyre not there, and they open your convo, youve caught them out Has many uses.

No one would ever possibly be avoiding anyone else for any reason.

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-30-2005 at 11:19 PM

Ok, yet again bad comments. Bye.

RE: RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by FrozenDaggers on 08-30-2005 at 11:26 PM

quote:

If you can't take criticism and opinions on suggestions you shouldn't post >.<
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-30-2005 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers

an opinions fine, but not sure why you have to say open convo notifier's useless, if it was, no one would create it.
RE: RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by FrozenDaggers on 08-30-2005 at 11:34 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers

an opinions fine, but not sure why you have to say open convo notifier's useless, if it was, no one would create it.

I did say I think, and we all know I don't think for everyone else... so it was an OPINION! :(
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by qgroessl on 08-30-2005 at 11:36 PM

Well... the new stuffplug beta from theblasphemer has an accurate window open notifier... I'm not sure how accurate... but so far it hasn't been inaccurate for me.

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by KeyStorm on 08-30-2005 at 11:40 PM

C'mon, stfu. Don't make an argument out of this.

The thing is that open convo nitifier may be interesting when you're expecting some answer from somedy who's idling or when someone special for you logs in and maybe tries to say something but they don't dare. Not that those things happen all the days, but heres some _reason_ for my opinion. Don't just say "openconvo alerts suck", cause it has no fundament.

Now, back to topic. I don't think this sort of workaround would help much because you yourself cause a openconvo on the other side and it's a dort of overkill, imo. However it might be helpful in certain special cases indeed, I suppose.

RE: RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by toddy on 08-31-2005 at 01:12 AM

quote:

chavs never stay around for long do they <3 :p

as others have said, open notifier is pretty pointless. if someone opens your convo window then they are either gonna say somthing to you which u will receive a few seconds later. or they did it by accident in which case it doesn't matter. surpose some people like to know when others open convo's with them ......
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-31-2005 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
chavs never stay around for long do they <3

You know me and my outburts toddy, im not going though <3 x

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
as others have said, open notifier is pretty pointless. if someone opens your convo window then they are either gonna say somthing to you which u will receive a few seconds later. or they did it by accident in which case it doesn't matter. surpose some people like to know when others open convo's with them ......

I guess it is pointless, but it cant be that pointless if people make the program, its common sence goddamn it! But, for me i like it, tells me if people are lying and theyre there when they say they arnt, if im waiting for some to come back, helps, ect ect. But each to thier own :P
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by KeyStorm on 08-31-2005 at 04:25 AM

It's like knowing who's calling you even when they hang up before you can get the call. So it's basically the same, some might find it useful, some don't. but I'm sure you always check on your cell, don't you? :P

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by multimillion2k on 08-31-2005 at 04:53 AM

Little Miss Meep, those are some excellent ideas. While the idea of being able to distinguish between real and false alerts 2 minutes after the actual alert is pointless, you can probably use them for the other reasons you stated.
Unfortunately, I think the people who want to know these things are jealous girlfriends or government spies. I hope you make a good spy.. :p

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-31-2005 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
Well... the new stuffplug beta from theblasphemer has an accurate window open notifier... I'm not sure how accurate... but so far it hasn't been inaccurate for me.

90% Id say. Messenger DX was more accurate :|

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm

It's like knowing who's calling you even when they hang up before you can get the call. So it's basically the same, some might find it useful, some don't. but I'm sure you always check on your cell, don't you?

Indeed :P Can be used as a block checker aswell, because it logs even if they click once in main screen, which is good. I find it quite useful!

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Unfortunately, I think the people who want to know these things are jealous girlfriends or government spies. I hope you make a good spy..

Oh an excellent spy! :D Nah, its boredom mainley. Just trying to find out how it works and what not, thought id see what other people thought
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by Millenium_edition on 08-31-2005 at 04:13 PM

i'm sorry, but this thread just soudns like pure common sense :s

on another note

quote:
I guess it is pointless, but it cant be that pointless if people make the program, its common sence goddamn it!
it was made because it was accurate before... but TB has added it again for all those idiots who don't seem ot understand the reason why it was removed. it's an easy concept: people whine about something possible but totally inaccurate, instead of arguing with them you just give them what they want. too bad for them, isn't it?
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by riahc4 on 08-31-2005 at 04:27 PM

quote:
As you all know, open convo notifier isnt 100% reliable because of Microsoft "clicks" to retrieve your DP...

When you get a pop up saying someones opened your convo, click it to open theres too.

Usually, if a person hasnt spoke in the convo, it most likley means its a microsoft click. BUT, after around 2 minutes, if it says the person has left the convo before theyve spoke, for me it means its a geniune click and theyve closed the box again. If nothing happens and the convo stays open, theyve either opened it and left it, or its a microsoft click.. The way to distinguish the two is simple: If youve spoke to the person earlier in the day, its a geniune click because microsoft already has the DP's. If you havent spoke to them yet, its a microsoft click.

Now it all seems a little jumbled up i know, and probably wrong because of many things

Thoughts?
[Image: huh23wa.jpg][
Must be cuz I havent gotten much sleep....
quote:
The thing is that open convo nitifier may be interesting...when someone special for you logs in and maybe tries to say something but they don't dare.
LMAO Thats the first intresting reason Ive heard to have a open convo notifier

Close convo I find more useful because it shows if a person really wants to talk to you or not.
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 08-31-2005 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

Close convo I find more useful because it shows if a person really wants to talk to you or not.

Yeah but theres block checker, which i mentioned before, some dummies click your convo when theyve blocked you, or block you, and half hour later THEN leave the convo, quite interesting :P

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
it's an easy concept: people whine about something possible but totally inaccurate, instead of arguing with them you just give them what they want. too bad for them, isn't it?

Elaborate please.
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by Millenium_edition on 08-31-2005 at 07:56 PM

quote:
quote:
it's an easy concept: people whine about something possible but totally inaccurate, instead of arguing with them you just give them what they want. too bad for them, isn't it?

Elaborate please.
... people were whining about the window opened notifier... they never stopped suggesting it and annoying people about it. instead of constantly telling them it is not going to work (which is the exact reason why it was removed), you just give them what they want.
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 09-01-2005 at 01:23 AM

quote:
... people were whining about the window opened notifier... they never stopped suggesting it and annoying people about it. instead of constantly telling them it is not going to work (which is the exact reason why it was removed), you just give them what they want.

Same with everything, people beg for it, then they go off it, people suggest things, they dont like it, but i guarantee half the effers will go and enable it when they download Plus!

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by aNILEator on 09-01-2005 at 01:47 AM

you keep saying its not pointless if someone wrotea program for it.

Ever think of viruses and ad-ware etc? they are pretty darn pointless yet they still get written every day

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 09-01-2005 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
Ever think of viruses and ad-ware etc? they are pretty darn pointless yet they still get written every day

Viruses and ad ware arn't pointless to the person whos created it. There goddamn annoying to us yes, but to them, theyre loving it. Besides, my point is if people didnt want open convo notifier, why was it made? Because people did want it. Im not saying everything created has a point, just saying it was obviously put to a vote, and people liked it *shrug*

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by CookieRevised on 09-01-2005 at 04:38 AM

open/close notifiers were made because:
A) they are interesting to have (for some)*
B) there was a demand for it
C) it was possible and they were accurate (at first)

* If _you_ don't find it interesting, then by all means don't use it. But certainly don't go saying they are utterly useless. You may not find it usefull, but other people might have a good reason for having it...

quote:
I'm sorry, but how does that show if a person don't really wants to talk to you? For all you know the person just find it more convenient to close the convo instead of minimizing it. Or wants to keep his desktop space/taskbar clean at all times. Or.... There are many reasons why...

This is just the same as with blocking. If you are blocked it doesn't nessecairly means the contact doesn't want to talk to you (ever again). There are lots of reasons to do something like blocking or close a convo window...
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by LittleK on 09-01-2005 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
* If _you_ don't find it interesting, then by all means don't use it. But certainly don't go saying they are utterly useless. You may not find it usefull, but other people might have a good reason for having it...

Indeed, what ive been saying all along. Some people don't want Plus!, does that mean it shouldnt be there ;|.

quote:
I'm sorry, but how does that show if a person don't really wants to talk to you? For all you know the person just find it more convenient to close the convo instead of minimizing it. Or wants to keep his desktop space/taskbar clean at all times. Or.... There are many reasons why..

The reasons im using the open convo notifier, is bascially for people who claim to not be there, also so its easier to open thier convo instead of trailing down my list after ive closed it, instead they usually open mine if im talking to them, all it takes it a quick click on the right :) There are lots of uses for all the different features, just find one that you like the best and use it, dont hate on others!
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by zaher1988 on 09-01-2005 at 12:55 PM

it's ok both are a gr8, some people may also need the Open notifier! but we wont hide that it's still little bit confusing, so i can't be sure if they opened it or just your DP was downloaded!.

SO hehe what about not to change ur DP :P, and stop your contacts from cleaning their temp :P !

what i did today , is to check with each one i get a notify from that he opened my con, results were 4/4 who didn't open my conversation but i got a pop saying they did ! .

this was coz just for the 1st time, but later after they get your DP , it will be accurate 100% i think.

umm regards:D

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by riahc4 on 09-01-2005 at 05:29 PM

quote:
I'm sorry, but how does that show if a person don't really wants to talk to you?
I say: Hey how are you
*Person left conversation
I say: How are you?
I say: Hey comeon answer. How are you?

Very simple Cookie very simple....
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by toddy on 09-01-2005 at 05:48 PM

quote:
quote:
I'm sorry, but how does that show if a person don't really wants to talk to you?
I say: Hey how are you
I say: How are you?
I say: Hey comeon answer. How are you?

Very simple Cookie very simple....

indeed...pretty obsessive to see someone doesn't want to talk to you if they keep leaving the convo and not replying. granted if they reply and then close the window its impossible to tell then, as many people like to close the windows after they reply no matter who they are talkin too
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by John Anderton on 09-01-2005 at 05:52 PM

quote:

Thoughts?

Old news. :P
What i do is if i see a pop up i open the window and see if it says that the person is typing a msg. It works :cheesy:
Its not special cause everyone has it now :sad:
So if "Xyz" opens a convo window and i open it to see if hes typing then he sees that i see him opening :cry:
It should ignore it when i have opned by clicking the popup but i dont think thats possible :P
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by zaher1988 on 09-01-2005 at 06:30 PM

the Open notifier is also working on the old version i mean windows messenger 4.6.

But how ? isn't supposed to use the DP download, or i'm wrong?

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by Dreth on 09-04-2005 at 10:25 PM

quote:
I guess it is pointless, but it cant be that pointless if people make the program, its common sence goddamn it!

AOL was invented, it's pointless and useless. If you're gonna justify ANYTHING made isn't pointless, you should make sense of the existence of life itself.

"i want to see who opens my window and doesn't talk" Who cares? If he/she doesn't talk THEN HE OR SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK.

You can't compare this to someone prank-calling you on the phone, because the phone rings and you have to pick it up so it can stop ringing AND you expect someone with a mildly-interesting conversation on the other end.

By opening a window you don't bother anyone, you don't go tell ing them "HEY I OPENED YOUR WINDOW, CHECK IT OUT, CLICK ME CLICK ME" and then not say anything. You must be one of those people that if they see an ant, is instantly intriguied to examine and analyze it, even if it's not doing anything. Hell it could be taking a dump (don't know if they can) and you're making up some dumb story about the ant going to its friends and hanging out.
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by SikStyles on 09-05-2005 at 03:50 AM

where can i get me one of these :cheesy: , no seriously :)

i had it a while ago but then i lost my HDD and i didnt bother downloading again. Is it in stuffplug?

i found it very interesting, tho nothing happened it was still good to know if someone wants to talk to you or not, its a great little tool :)

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by CookieRevised on 09-05-2005 at 05:47 AM

SikStyles, you have 570 posts, been here for 8 months and are Senior Member. Don't tell me you don't know how to search the forum?

CookieRevised's reply to How can you see if someone opens your conversation box

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by SikStyles on 09-05-2005 at 01:50 PM

quote:
SikStyles, you have 570 posts, been here for 8 months and are Senior Member. Don't tell me you don't know how to search the forum?

CookieRevised's reply to How can you see if someone opens your conversation box

im sorry for my lazyness, i usually search but not much :/
anyway thanks for the link :)
RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by 1harperj on 10-22-2005 at 06:49 PM

Ok, here's a definate use for the close function: say if you open a window and send a message, if they close it without a reply, they're definately ignoring you, whereas if they don't they just aren't there.

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by CookieRevised on 10-22-2005 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 1harperj
Ok, here's a definate use for the close function: say if you open a window and send a message, if they close it without a reply, they're definately ignoring you, whereas if they don't they just aren't there.
wrong... why are they defenatly ignoring you in that case you think? It might well be they:
1) accidently closed it
2) understood the statement/question, whatever, but didn't need a reply
3) couldn't reply at that time
4) etc... etc...

It ONLY _could_ mean they are not there. That's all...

This is exactly one of the reasons why there is no such thing as a closed notifier in MSN Messenger. People would simply come to wrong conclussions and misinterpet such notices...

Do not jump to conclussions like that because they are in almost all cases wrong...

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by 1harperj on 10-22-2005 at 08:27 PM

Ok, well in the case that your message doesn't need a reply then I think it's true. If they accidently close the window, then they'd probably reopen it within a few seconds and if they couldn't reply at the time, then surely they'd say "brb" or something.

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by CookieRevised on 10-22-2005 at 08:32 PM

lol, no....

You're again jumping to conclussions though...

- If I accidently close a window, I'm not going to bother again to reopen it just for the sake of it.
- People don't always say "brb" when they can't reply at that time (eg: parents comming in).

Do NOT come up with your own conclussions of why you got a window closed notification.

It doesn't mean anything more than: "the chat window is closed". period!!! No "buts", no "because's", no nothing.... Just plain simple: "The chat window is closed."

Absolutely nothing more than that!

RE: Intresting fact about Open/Close convo notifier.... by 1harperj on 10-23-2005 at 07:50 AM

If I accidently closed a window, I'd probably reopen it, but, yeah, you're probably right.