Shoutbox

windows xp security center - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: windows xp security center (/showthread.php?tid=49765)

windows xp security center by [MR] on 08-31-2005 at 02:04 AM

securitey center wont recognize NAV ...why?  here is a screen shot.

RE: windows xp security center by uberdosis on 08-31-2005 at 02:12 AM

what version of NAV?

(i dont use either of the two)

RE: windows xp security center by [MR] on 08-31-2005 at 02:13 AM

NAV 2001

RE: windows xp security center by ShawnZ on 08-31-2005 at 02:32 AM

run liveupdate.

RE: windows xp security center by Joa on 08-31-2005 at 02:38 AM

go here: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html#9

"Your Norton security products contain tamper protection features that prevent malicious code from determining their status. This tamper protection also prevents the Windows Security Center from determining the status of your Norton security products."

hmm.. i don't think that NAV 2001 can be updated to be compatible with the Windows Security Center..

"Symantec has released an update which adds compatibility to the Windows Security Center so that it may report the status of your Symantec security software. This update is included in Norton 2005 Security Products and is available by LiveUpdate for Norton 2002/2003/2004 Security Products. The update will install on Windows XP, but will not take effect unless you have the Windows Security Center installed."

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
It can. run liveupdate.
ok cool :D that's great. sorry i just wasn't sure, cuz they only mention Norton 2002 and up.
RE: windows xp security center by ShawnZ on 08-31-2005 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
go here: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html#9

"Your Norton security products contain tamper protection features that prevent malicious code from determining their status. This tamper protection also prevents the Windows Security Center from determining the status of your Norton security products."

hmm.. i don't think that NAV 2001 can be updated to be compatible with the Windows Security Center..

It can. run liveupdate.

RE: windows xp security center by [MR] on 08-31-2005 at 11:35 AM

i already have run live update twice and no luck.

RE: windows xp security center by Joa on 08-31-2005 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
i already have run live update twice and no luck.

yeah NAV 2001 is not compatible with windows XP sp2... so technincally,  the Windows Security Center can't determine the status of your NAV 2001.

i searched on google and the symantec website but O_O .. this is the best thing i could find:

you either can...

1. upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2002

or

2. just deactivate your XP security check for virus protection :-/ ... u'r antivirus will still continue to protect your pc... i'm not sure if you want to do that.

Edit: sorry, it seems that there is no patches and program fixes for NAV 2001 to be made compatible with SP2

if anybody else knows a better solution post, cuz i might have missed something.
RE: windows xp security center by CookieRevised on 09-01-2005 at 07:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
2. just deactivate your XP security check for virus protection ... u'r antivirus will still continue to protect your pc... i'm not sure if you want to do that.
Nothing harmfull will be done when you do this though. The only function this anti-virus program detection has is to detect if you have an anti-virus program; it is just an aid to remind you if you don't have one (which is compatible with the detection scheme).
RE: windows xp security center by AzIz on 09-01-2005 at 09:52 AM

u should first update the antivirus program

RE: windows xp security center by [MR] on 09-01-2005 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AzIz
u should first update the antivirus program
obviously

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Joa
2. just deactivate your XP security check for virus protection ... u'r antivirus will still continue to protect your pc... i'm not sure if you want to do that.
Nothing harmfull will be done when you do this though. The only function this anti-virus program detection has is to detect if you have an anti-virus program; it is just an aid to remind you if you don't have one (which is compatible with the detection scheme).
yes i already know it wont harm my computer if i turn it off
RE: windows xp security center by TylerG on 09-01-2005 at 11:46 PM

I just reformated my computer and it windows security center doesn't recognize my norton either.  But mine is 2004.  I just turned off the warning:S

RE: windows xp security center by *Saint* on 09-02-2005 at 12:04 AM

[Image: 1116tl.jpg]

RE: windows xp security center by [MR] on 09-02-2005 at 12:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
[Image: 1116tl.jpg]
i know i saw it