Shoutbox

ideas for a game to make :P - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: ideas for a game to make :P (/showthread.php?tid=49848)

ideas for a game to make :P by Reaper on 09-01-2005 at 04:24 PM

right. i have learnt the basics of c++. i know it may no be much but i got my "C++ for Dummies" book to guide me. :P:)
i thought i might dive right in with it and make a simple game, like a pong or space invaders game but i dont know what i should do
any ideas?!

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by ~INVASION~ on 09-01-2005 at 04:31 PM

dude, make like an extreme pong game, i love pong :cheesy:

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by CookieRevised on 09-01-2005 at 04:31 PM

pong, or a simple tetris or something, yes.

space invaders is already a bit more difficult as this will involve sprites and random places where the sprites could be etc; although pong also involves a "sprite" it is far less comlicated to control a single one -the ball- than a whole bunch of them and moving them etc...).

All this involves animation and some mathematics, if you don't want that at first, try something as Mastermind; this is excellent to practice the basics of decision making and logical programming which is really needed in all other games.

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
dude, make like an extreme pong game, i love pong :cheesy:

do you mean Pong or a Breakout clone?

Pong is the one with two paddles and a ball, nothing more (ping-pong).

Breakout is the one where you need to destroy a wall of bricks with a ball and a paddle (which would be more complicated to make than pong).
RE: ideas for a game to make :P by prashker on 09-01-2005 at 04:38 PM

MINIGOLF!!!!!!!

I love minigolf and i like played all the mini golf games on the net and im bored:D

RE: RE: ideas for a game to make :P by CookieRevised on 09-01-2005 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
MINIGOLF!!!!!!!

I love minigolf and i like played all the mini golf games on the net and im bored:D

He just learned to program and is asking for basic games to help him practice his just learned stuff...
RE: ideas for a game to make :P by ~INVASION~ on 09-01-2005 at 04:49 PM

no i meant pong, but breakout is one of my favourites also

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by prashker on 09-01-2005 at 05:03 PM

baisc. Connect the dots :P

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by Reaper on 09-01-2005 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
baisc. Connect the dots :P
ermm not tooo basic.
if its easy to make pong, how easy is it to make Breakout?
RE: ideas for a game to make :P by user27089 on 09-01-2005 at 08:56 PM

I would say make breakout aswell. I don't really know how easy or hard it is to make anything in C++, as I'm not a programmer. All I do know, though, is that I love breakout, it is a classic!

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by Reaper on 09-01-2005 at 10:15 PM

hmm, well i decided to go with pong but i got a big of a problem

i dont know where to start :$:'(

help!

[Edit] Im using Dev C++ (latest). also could someone help me with this on msn or something?

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by RaceProUK on 09-02-2005 at 11:22 AM

The first thing you'll need is a good design. Then start coding.

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by CookieRevised on 09-05-2005 at 05:28 AM

But since this is your first program/game... do the designing later. In fact, forget about the whole design...

Design isn't as important as the program itself (in this stage). In fact, design must never be the first thing you do if you don't know already how you're going to program stuff or how things will work. Program the engine first, experiment with it, until you fully understand the maths involved, etc. Only then you can begin to think about design as you now have a basic knowledge of what you need to do.

Design will only be a waste of time if you start with it first without knowing how to program.

Anyways,

Breakout requires basically the same techniques as pong, although on a much bigger scale and with many more stuff and variables added. So start with the basics, "pong"...

To start with pong (or any game), think about how you're going to let the pads move (mouse? keyboard?). Also think about when and how a point is scored and most importantly when and how the ball gets bounced back.

When you have these basic questions answered, start by making a ball (a circle) bounce all over the screen as this is the essential part of the whole game and should be fairly well understood.

This will involve mathematics and vectors (hey, so those boring maths lessons at school do have some use afterall :p): If the coordinates of a ball hit a wall (aka the x or y coordinates are less/bigger or equal to the x or y coordinates of a wall) the ball must bounce back in the opposite direction and under the opposite angle...

So for the ball you need:
1) Coordinates (X and Y)
2) A direction the ball is moving in; aka the angle (R (from Radiant))

When this is understood and implemented, you can add velocity. The more the ball bounces the faster it will go.

Also, as an alternative to velocity and in a yet later stage, you could add another vector. The one from the moving paddles. This is were physics come into play (hey, another boring school subject :p). When to forces meet eachother, they are added... So if vector P (paddle) moves from an up position downwards, it has a force Fp in a vertical direction. When the ball vector hits this with force Fb, you get a new force Fp+Fb=Fb'; the ball will bounce of in a different direction. But not nessecairly in the opposite direction from just before hitting the paddle as the direction of Fb' now also depends on the direction and speed of the paddle where it was just a static wall before (which didn't had any force or direction; Fw = 0)...

To visualize the moving of those vectors, you could at first just draw a line and circle on the screen and erase and draw them again each time some vector changes.

Later on, when you have everything working and understand it, add methods for fast updating graphic screens, etc...

Then, you can add "design" and start thinking about what else you need to program (scoring systems, info screens, etc)...

RE: ideas for a game to make :P by dennis on 09-05-2005 at 06:27 AM

my bro to C++ and he made a game like galaga......it sucked...