Shoutbox

.pif isnt working anymore in group convo - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo (/showthread.php?tid=50011)

.pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:17 AM

I try to do it, and it says, Your connectiong blah blah blah, you are not part of this conversation anymore. or something, wtf?

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by user27089 on 09-05-2005 at 12:18 AM

I don't understand what you mean, please may  you explain a bit more in depth?

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I don't understand what you mean, please may  you explain a bit more in depth?
Everytime i do .pif in a group conversation, it says my internet connection is expiriencing problems, i am no longer part of that conversation.. like, when i do .pif, it doesnt work, and kicks me out of the convo instead, but doesnt close the chat window
RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by user27089 on 09-05-2005 at 12:21 AM

What do you mean, by doing a .pif? Trying to send a .pif? It is probably because .pif files are associated with the bropia worm and msn won't allow you to send it because of the block it has put on certain files now.

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:21 AM

no, typing .pif

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by user27089 on 09-05-2005 at 12:22 AM

Maybe the block on it goes to the extent of you not even being able to type .pif in the instant messaging window, possibly because of urls sending with the file type .pif in.

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:23 AM

just try typing .pif in a group convo, and it will tell you You are expiriencing internet problems. You are no longer part of this conversation. or something

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by user27089 on 09-05-2005 at 12:24 AM

I can type it fine, but I am able to send any files that I want through MSN Messenger, so I doubt I will experience any problems, what version of MSN Messenger & Messenger Plus! are you using?

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:25 AM

7.5.0303(msnmsgr) - 3.54(Msg plus)

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by dylan! on 09-05-2005 at 12:27 AM

why are u using illegal version of messenger and plus?

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dylan!
why are u using illegal version of messenger and plus?
I dont know, i got the msn from mess.be somewhere or i think it was here, and i just just downloaded msg plus off the site... so i didnt know they wer illegal :|
RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by NiteMare on 09-05-2005 at 12:31 AM

.pif has been blocked from being sent in MSN, you may see it when you send it, but your contact will not, that may be messing up a group conversation

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by dylan! on 09-05-2005 at 12:32 AM

yep yep yepp there illegal...

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:33 AM

quote:
yep yep yepp there illegal...

but i got msg plus! from www.msgplus.com, how is it illegal??

will the cops come after me?:S
RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by dylan! on 09-05-2005 at 12:35 AM

the plus! u have isnt illegal but msn is...and yes bill gates is very secure he will send people after u

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Dj.SytruS on 09-05-2005 at 12:35 AM

quote:
the plus! u have isnt illegal but msn is...and yes bill gates is very secure he will send people after u

Eesh...

* Dj.SytruS un-installs and finds the older version

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Eljay on 09-05-2005 at 07:10 AM

quote:

bullshit.
RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Anubis on 09-05-2005 at 07:18 AM

This is a very well known bug;
Originally this was designed so that as soon as anyone shared a file with ".pif" in the name that person would be kicked from the conversation. However instead of just kicking the one person who does it, everyone will be kicked. Microsoft are aware of this bug and will likely fix it at some point in the future.

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by ipab on 09-05-2005 at 07:32 AM

hope they dont, i love ending group convos.

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by NiteMare on 09-05-2005 at 07:39 AM

haha, finaly, i have a way to get back at all theose peopl ethat throw me in to group conversations, when i'm trying to do something, then jam up my computer

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by x2zen on 09-05-2005 at 11:21 AM

Actually this is old news, see this post from messenger-blog.com by TB:

quote:
When sending malicious links in group conversations, like .pif, the MSN server will not just discard the message, nor will it boot you off the conversation. Instead, it will end the conversation, kicking everyone off, not just you! Using this method, anyone can easily disband a group conversation by just typing “.pif”. And this is not all, the best part of this all is that noone will be able to tell who disrupted the conversation!
http://www.messenger-blog.com/?p=146
RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by Millenium_edition on 09-05-2005 at 03:59 PM

just to clarify.

1) this .PIF thing has always been working like this for the reasons above and is not illegal WHATSOEVER
2) using a leaked BETA is not illegal, but leaking a beta while you're a beta tester is (it's a contact breach). you will not be prosecuted if you have any beta software on your pc which you aren't supposed to have.
3) dylan, please don't spread info you don't know a crap about :-/  especially since it is about serious issues and can scare the one who asks a question. not to mention the "illegal" is offtopic and probably not correct because he might be a beta tester (which is unlikely because he got it from mess.be, but that doesn't always mean he's not)
4) indeed this is old news, and without wanting to sound rude, i'm pretty sure a search could have given better results than the questions in this thread.

RE: .pif isnt working anymore in group convo by ShawnZ on 09-05-2005 at 04:03 PM

Entered by  Microsoft  on  7/20/2005
Helllo, thank you for info. The product team is considering this bug for the next release. Thanks for using the Beta.

And they havent done anything 'bout it so far.