Shoutbox

Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus (/showthread.php?tid=50037)

Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by shine on 09-05-2005 at 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TemMan
Much as though I like Messenger Plus, I have to say for the millions of mums and dads and computer illiterates who are naive and just install software without reading the fine print... by even installing adware Messenger Plus is part of the adware/spyware problem.

Yes, I realised it's not the main executable. Yes, I realise the installer is the only thing that could potentially install adware.

But you know, it doesn't make any difference.

There are thousands of adware/spyware coders out there who lie and deceive and inject all manner of tricky code in there that wrecks the performance and operation of millions of PCs. Even "harmless adware" reaches a disruptive critical mass when you have dozens of programs all installed on one computer. I've seen it myself.

And when you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. And that's what happened with Messenger Plus.

For me, I'm computer literate enough to read and understand what I am installing and make sure that I never install admware or spyware knowingly.

Patchou... I would strongly suggest you find some other way to gain/maintain your sponsors. Your application is great and you might win the battle here.. but in the long run I think you will lose the war.

Someone else will eventually develop a free enhancement to MSN without an adware installer... with an alternative revenue method... and then where will you be?

How many of you agree with him? In a way he is right.

But Patchou has his own rights to choose. So he is right too.

What is your opinion Patchou?

Guys put down your thoughts here...

EDIT : Guys this is not for arguing about using Sponsor or not..its about finding a new sponsor for (if Patchous wishes to) Msg Plus.. So pls be nice & polite.. Do not flame..Thanks

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by L. Coyote on 09-05-2005 at 11:06 AM

This has been discussed several times.

It's all great to give your opinion, but who came up with an alternative way of earning money for Patchou?

Feel free to search for something (another sponsor)...

Edit: I hope I didn't come across as harsh. (Y)

Try to be nice, guys. This is one of the rare ocassions in which someone didn't insult anyone to give their opinion. :)

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by Scratchy on 09-05-2005 at 11:21 AM

Without the sponsor software Patchou wouldn't earn any money.

Patchou is human so he needs to drink, eat and so on.

No sponsor = no money = no Patchou. :p

There's nothing more to say, IMHO. :)

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by mwe99 on 09-05-2005 at 11:25 AM

If you dont like the sponser, just don't use the freakin' program

Seriously, if youre not comfortable with the fact that Patchou is distributing this program for free dont use it.

Would you rather pay a subscription fee for it or install a little OPTIONAL program?

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by lordy on 09-05-2005 at 11:27 AM

i dont get the dogs crack :S and i doubt someone could release an addon that is a good as msgplus that has the same commitment to quality as Patchou

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by shine on 09-05-2005 at 11:32 AM

With so many users here.. Some one might have contacts to get a sponsor..but before that we shoudl know whats Patchous opinion

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by Scratchy on 09-05-2005 at 11:46 AM

I don't see the problem. Installing the sponsor is your free, rational choice.
You don't want adware and do not support Plus? - Just choose "I Refuse to give my support, install Messenger Plus! without the sponsor" It couldn't be easier.

And hey, since the release of version 3.50 of our favourite Messenger addon, you can remove the sponsor even if you want to let MsgPlus! installed.

PC users should just learn to read the instructions of an installer - just clicking to the end of a setup is always a bad idea.

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by shine on 09-05-2005 at 12:14 PM

Scratchy pls read the tread..it is not about using/installing sponsor or not..it is about having a good sponsor for Plus... The issue may come up in future.

For eg: A law prohibhiting bundling of adware with a software or something llike that or what reason that MAY come in future

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by Anubis on 09-05-2005 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Someone else will eventually develop a free enhancement to MSN without an adware installer... with an alternative revenue method... and then where will you be?
Even if this does happen, the program wouldn't have all of Plus's features so Plus would still be used.

quote:

Patchou... I would strongly suggest you find some other way to gain/maintain your sponsors. Your application is great and you might win the battle here.. but in the long run I think you will lose the war.
If Patchou could find one, he would, however the sponsor works out best at the minute.

quote:

There are thousands of adware/spyware coders out there who lie and deceive and inject all manner of tricky code in there that wrecks the performance and operation of millions of PCs. Even "harmless adware" reaches a disruptive critical mass when you have dozens of programs all installed on one computer. I've seen it myself.
Assuming the computer already has a high ammount of spyware and adware, then Plus's small bit of adware adds to be the cherry on the cake as the processor and memory tops out with all the applications I suppose it could happen.
However the same effect is much more likely to happen if the computer had high ammounts of spyware and adware, then the person downloaded 100mb of music from a CD.

quote:
Originally posted by shine
For eg: A law prohibhiting bundling of adware with a software or something llike that or what reason that MAY come in future
If it does Patchou would comply, so that really isn't a problem.
RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by CookieRevised on 09-05-2005 at 01:33 PM

Exact same threads have been made in the past with exact the same question. Either they resulted in flaming and insults, or either they didn't solve a thing (other than chit chatting and repeating which has already been said several times).

As for "someone will eventually make an msn messenger addon without a sponsor like Plus!". Again, strong words but in practice I still need to see the first addon that will even come close to Messenger Plus!, let alone one without any sponsors. The only thing that can be compared with Plus! in this field is Messenger Discovery X and even that has sponsors, but doesn't even comes close to Messenger Plus!. People don't know how tough it is to make something like Messenger Plus!, until they try it themselfs and then realize they are busy with it 24/7 and either need to quit it or either quit their job...

As for a replacement sponsor. Nobody has come up with any suiteable replacement yet, and I strongly doubt anyone will, in fact I'm sure about it.

If one does come up with something usefull and knows what he's talking about, they can post on the forum, make a new thread, whatever. Until then, such threads as these are useless and will not contribute anything new or usefull. Mark my words en reread this thread in a few weeks, nothing new will have been said.

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by shine on 09-05-2005 at 01:44 PM

You are right CookieRevised..people are not looking into the right issue..they just want to counter any opinion that  is put forward. I'll leave this here and see if patchou responds and delete it tomorrow.. And let me get in touch with some of my contacts to get a sponsor....

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by user27089 on 09-05-2005 at 02:07 PM

I know where he is coming from...

But the petition is the best way to sort everything out, even if what he says is right... MSAS are annoying users into thinking that Messenger PLus! is dangerous adware/spyware...

Even if it hasn't installed the sponsor software.

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by qgroessl on 09-05-2005 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shine
How many of you agree with him? In a way he is right.

You're right by saying he's kinda right... Somebody will eventually make something similar to Messenger Plus!, without an adware installer.... and some people will start using that.... I think that'll just show Patchou who is really loyal to him and his program, because I know I'd stick with Messenger Plus!..... I'm smart enough to read the installer. AND! It's the best add-on for msn messenger.
RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by buzz on 09-05-2005 at 04:27 PM

im gonna be alittle offtopic for a sec...i dont really understand why microsoft put  msgplus! on the spyware list and not msn. I mean during the install the both ask if you want to install a searchbar for i.e. and even worse is that msn has sponsors installed without your permission ( i see 10,and their seems to be more every time a new version comes) and its illegal to take them out.

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by Millenium_edition on 09-05-2005 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Exact same threads have been made in the past with exact the same question. Either they resulted in flaming and insults, or either they didn't solve a thing (other than chit chatting and repeating which has already been said several times).
then let's keep this one clean :grin:
quote:
As for "someone will eventually make an msn messenger addon without a sponsor like Plus!". Again, strong words but in practice I still need to see the first addon that will even come close to Messenger Plus!, let alone one without any sponsors. The only thing that can be compared with Plus! in this field is Messenger Discovery X and even that has sponsors, but doesn't even comes close to Messenger Plus!. People don't know how tough it is to make something like Messenger Plus!, until they try it themselfs and then realize they are busy with it 24/7 and either need to quit it or either quit their job...
exactly what i was about to say... except that SPNG as standalone would be the only concurrence :p
now, i have to say that this would be a very good argument against the sponsor, but it's a bit unfortunate that this one doesn't hog shitloads of resources (compared to the other adware programs, and yes i know what i'm talking about). plus, the bandwidth consumed by the sponsor is not an issue, since it just downloads a little bit of information about the ads and then displays the ads itself.

now, on another note, the sponsor comes from a trustworthy source and i can assure you it is as light as possible (except for the few ads and the toolbar). (i have to ask you to not question me on that)
RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by saralk on 09-05-2005 at 04:44 PM

I think one of the reasons Patchou created this petition, is not because Microsoft is calling Messenger Plus! an adware bundler, but because removing it via MSAS worsens the problem and means you can't uninstall the sponsor software.

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by Patchou on 09-06-2005 at 01:19 AM

For the sake of the discussion, you should be happy to know that I've revised the setup program again, a lot. The new version will be part of version 3.60 (and be sent to the beta testers tomorrow).

I liked it the way it was but I couldn't ignore the feedback I got about the sponsor license agreement screen so I did something pretty radical about it... you'll see that soon :).

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by brian on 09-06-2005 at 02:24 AM

We'll get to see it before you all. :refuck:

Anyways, I think Patchou is very honest, he has been developing the program for 4-5 years, why would he lie for 4-5 years?

I just think people who always say those things are just people who never understood what earned money was, the sponser is kinda a payment, you just wast a bit of resources to a helpful program, just like Folding@Home or such.

Plus, I think we really god enough of such threads, same thing repeating, resaid, etc. as CookieRevised says.

RE: Sponsor Issue - Msg Plus by Voldemort on 09-07-2005 at 02:31 AM

Why dont we all pay 100$ dollars fee 4 patchou?, i think u would rather install the sponsor, im sure patchou checked his options of sponsor and not the 1st one he came across, for me, its the best option...