Shoutbox

[Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details (/showthread.php?tid=50052)

[Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Anubis on 09-05-2005 at 03:32 PM

It may be that Google Talk isn't as popular as other IM clients, but its still out there. I was wondering if Google Talk could be added under the contact details on user profiles. You already have the option to add your ICQ Number, AIM Screen Name, Yahoo ID and MSN Address; and despite the newness of Google talk, its a contact option that I'm sure many forum members would use and like to see.

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Stigmata on 09-05-2005 at 03:48 PM

its still in beta. it may not even be released...

wait for release first?

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by toddy on 09-05-2005 at 03:50 PM

most people will just write, "PM me for it" so why bother

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by absorbation on 09-05-2005 at 05:07 PM

good idea and it's easy to add and many people use it :P

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by wj on 09-05-2005 at 05:23 PM

How about people just PM people for it. That last thing we need is bots scouring the forums for gmail addresses to spam.

Just put it in your profile or sig if you want to give it out. Beyond that, This is a "Messenger" community, not Google Talk.

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Millenium_edition on 09-05-2005 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
How about people just PM people for it. That last thing we need is bots scouring the forums for gmail addresses to spam.
which is useless since we already have the msn address :rolleyes:
quote:
Just put it in your profile or sig if you want to give it out. Beyond that, This is a "Messenger" community, not Google Talk.
which is yet again not a reason because you have AIM and yahoo fields.

but anyway. :-/
RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by ShawnZ on 09-05-2005 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition

which is yet again not a reason because you have AIM and yahoo fields.

Which is sort of because those ones are default and cant be changed.
RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Anubis on 09-05-2005 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
This is a "Messenger" community, not Google Talk.
ICQ, AIM and Yahoo is listed, and a lot of active forum members have Google Talk.
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Which is sort of because those ones are default and cant be changed.
They may be default but no that's not true, they can be removed in the templates, yet they are kept there and used by members.
RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Fourjays on 09-05-2005 at 06:43 PM

Offtopic a bit, but...

Spam bots is always an issue with such things, but why don't developers of forum software and such put one of those things that changes the @ to [at] (or w/e), and . to [dot] (or w/e)? From my amateur understanding of PHP, it isn't hard to do...

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by RaceProUK on 09-05-2005 at 06:46 PM

And then everyone uses it, and spambots wise up to it.

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Veggie on 09-05-2005 at 07:03 PM

then use an image for @, like [Image: at.gif]

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by ShawnZ on 09-05-2005 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
They may be default but no that's not true, they can be removed in the templates, yet they are kept there and used by members.

They're already there though so why bother editing the templates and removing them. Adding a new one however is a different story.
RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Millenium_edition on 09-05-2005 at 07:40 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

They're already there though so why bother editing the templates and removing them. Adding a new one however is a different story.
there's no "why bother" in this case. if you live by the phrase "why bother?" you might as well commit suicide because why would you want to bother living?
quote:
Adding a new one however is a different story.
which is sort of the point of this thread. :rolleyes:
RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by RaceProUK on 09-05-2005 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
then use an image for @, like [Image: at.gif]
Just so long as the filename doesn't contain 'at' or similar (as spambots will wise up to that too).
RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Ezra on 09-05-2005 at 09:19 PM

Just use the GD library to create an image with the adress on it and use some kind of pseudo code to determine what image is what e-mailadress...

You could even go paranoid and use encryption to encrypt the name.

Just my kinda offtopic 2 cents on the e-mailadress hiding for spambots :d

So ontopic again:

I think G-Talk should be added (mods determine now or on final), and if they choose not to, the YIM and ICQ should be removed, cause it will be like racism... (or some sort :P)

RE: [Idea] Add Google Talk to Contact details by Fourjays on 09-05-2005 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Just use the GD library to create an image with the adress on it and use some kind of pseudo code to determine what image is what e-mailadress...

You could even go paranoid and use encryption to encrypt the name.

Just my kinda offtopic 2 cents on the e-mailadress hiding for spambots :d

So ontopic again:

I think G-Talk should be added (mods determine now or on final), and if they choose not to, the YIM and ICQ should be removed, cause it will be like racism... (or some sort :P)

and AIM :dodgy: