Shoutbox

OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=50100)

OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 02:33 PM

Hi,
When i turn my pc on it goes beeeeeeeeeeeep! every 10 seconds and nothing shows up on my monitor.
Has my pc got a spike or what.
Help please!!!!!

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-06-2005 at 02:34 PM

SOunds like one of your components is fried. What make and model is your motherboard?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 02:39 PM

Ermmm I dont know. I made it ages ago. But on the radiator type of thing it says elitegroup

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by KeyStorm on 09-06-2005 at 02:56 PM

I'm pretty sure it's about the graphics card, that may be screwed or wrongly plugged.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by zaher1988 on 09-06-2005 at 03:06 PM

ok look remove all you PCI and All Cards

and remove ur rams, add only one ram and try it , if it works add the sec if it work start with the cards one after another until u find out which card was causing this.

But if it didn't work this means something wrong with ur Motherboard, try to clear ur BIOS , if it didn't work then something wrong with ur motherboard it self

regards :)

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 03:18 PM

I've only got one ram

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by absorbation on 09-06-2005 at 03:22 PM

lol same thing happened to me when my house was hit by lighting i suggest take it to a computer shop and they fix the damaged parts, mine wass my graphics card the the fuse :)

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 03:32 PM

the sticker on the back is brown as though it's burnt. Does that mean its blown up or over heated?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by absorbation on 09-06-2005 at 03:35 PM

To be honest a computer repair shop is the best way as england has had that weather since you have been gone, and the fact it's burnt. I suggest unpluging your pc when away or with this type of weather :)

Or a power surge could of happened.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by zaher1988 on 09-06-2005 at 03:39 PM

just try what i did :) but forget the part about 2 rams :)

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Ezra on 09-06-2005 at 03:45 PM

1 Beep means faulty RAM, remove the RAM and put it in back, if it still doesn't work the RAM is broken

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 03:54 PM

Oh Yer it's one beep put it goes on for about 2 seconds.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-06-2005 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
1 Beep means faulty RAM, remove the RAM and put it in back, if it still doesn't work the RAM is broken
Depends on the BIOS in question, as they all have different ways of expressing errors. That's why I asked what motherboard it is, so I can look up the error codes.

Anyway, one beep is normal - it means everything's OK. But if it lasts two seconds, then something's wrong.
Can you look on the motherboard itself, see if you can see a manufacturer name, for example Asus, Abit or Gigabyte?
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 03:57 PM

What does 2 beep mean? it's just done that now

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-06-2005 at 03:59 PM

Can you please tell me who makes your motherboard?! Only then can I find out what the beeps mean!

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 04:01 PM

It's a athlon

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-06-2005 at 04:02 PM

That's your processor - what's your motherboard?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 04:21 PM

dont know. When i load it up it has always said uknown.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Millenium_edition on 09-06-2005 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
dont know. When i load it up it has always said uknown.
can you open your case and read what it says on the big main card?
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 04:25 PM

Ive looked and i can't find a name. :@

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-06-2005 at 04:42 PM

There'll be a name somewhere on the motherboard. On mine the make and model are by the graphics card slot.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by YottabyteWizard on 09-06-2005 at 04:43 PM

In one of the corners must be the name... or the serial number at last.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 04:48 PM

Is K7S6A the right one?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by YottabyteWizard on 09-06-2005 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Is K7S6A the right one?
Ya, that's the one
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by KeyStorm on 09-06-2005 at 04:51 PM

En ECS with Socket A, then.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
En ECS with Socket A, then.
:huh: Sorry what do you mean????
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by YottabyteWizard on 09-06-2005 at 04:54 PM

Mobo specs:
http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7s6a.html

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 05:02 PM

Erm is there a price for that one i want to know how much it is now?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by zaher1988 on 09-06-2005 at 05:07 PM

here bellow a list of all error beep codes

ID Problem Description               Problem Solution
1 No Beep or no sound               Power supply bad or not plugged in.
2 Continuous beep                     Power supply bad or bad keyboard
3 2 short beeps with a Compaq| This is normal with desktop and most older laptop models. 
4 Repeating short beep               Power supply bad
5 One short beep                        This is normal on many computers (no error)
6 1 long beep, 1 short beep         Motherboard failure
7 1 long beep 2 short beeps        Failure of video display or cable could be unattached
8 1 short beep, blank screen         Failure of display or unattached cable
9 1 short beep with no boot           Floppy drive failure or loose cable
10 2 short beeps PS2 only             Configuration error, check jumpers.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by YottabyteWizard on 09-06-2005 at 05:10 PM

Beep codes: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Motherboard/BIOSbeep.shtml

The specs page says your mobo is AMI, and in the beep codes 1 beep of AMI bios means the memory refresh Circuitry is faulty, so your ram mem might be damaged.

EDIT: Oh my, lot of different codes....

RE: RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by CookieRevised on 09-06-2005 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
here bellow a list of all error beep codes

ID Problem Description               Problem Solution
1 No Beep or no sound               Power supply bad or not plugged in.
[SNIPPED]
As stated before, the beep error codes depend on the type (and even sometimes version) of the BIOS. Don't give such lists if you don't know exactly what type of bios the codes are for or for what BIOS the codes are requested. As it is, your list is totally wrong...
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by zaher1988 on 09-06-2005 at 05:25 PM

yea yea sorry now i realized that

but this site has different types of BIOS
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

sorry again :)

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by YottabyteWizard on 09-06-2005 at 05:31 PM

quote:

sorry again :)

I compared both sites in AMI section and they are the same.
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by zaher1988 on 09-06-2005 at 05:39 PM

so this means, they are common beep code ?? for all :S or most known

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 05:58 PM

I'm getting a new pc for xmas anyhow. So I'll just use my laptop for the time bieng ;)

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Ezra on 09-06-2005 at 06:00 PM

Anyway, did you try removing the ram and putting it back?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by YottabyteWizard on 09-06-2005 at 06:05 PM

My bestfriend also has problems with his mobo, but the problem is his HDD, i just unplug everything and connected everything again like if I was building his computer for the first time and everything works again. You should trying with the Mem Ram first, if taht doesn't help then your RAM stick is fried and/or is another component.....

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-06-2005 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Anyway, did you try removing the ram and putting it back?
Yer tried that
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by brian on 09-06-2005 at 07:08 PM

If your going to get a new computer, get a good power supply so such things won't recoccur, I got myself a great Enermex(sp?) Power supply, and it has a power surge, so whenever it goes low, it shuts down the computer.

RE: RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by CookieRevised on 09-07-2005 at 05:43 AM

quote:
(Y)
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
I compared both sites in AMI section and they are the same.
erm, yes of course those entries are the same, they are both for AMI BIOS. But zaher1988 first listed the codes for a pure IBM system, not for AMI.
quote:
so this means, they are common beep code ?? for all :S or most known
Not at all, as said they totally depend on the type of BIOS, there are no "common" codes.

---------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by brian
If your going to get a new computer, get a good power supply so such things won't recoccur, I got myself a great Enermex(sp?) Power supply, and it has a power surge, so whenever it goes low, it shuts down the computer.

Though, normal power supplies you can buy for your PC, do not protect against power surges at all.

At best there is fuse in the power supply (like the one you bought), but this isn't a total protection either! It actually gives a false feeling of protection as it only protects your PSU against to much power drawn from the components of your computer (and only secondary to some certain small surges from the outside).

The fuse is only there to protect your, let say 300W, PSU. So in case all your PC components actually need 400W in total, the PSU wouldn't be fried.

It wont protect you against power fluctuations (which can be as much damaging as surges), serious surges, lightning strikes, internal circuit shorcuts, etc... In short, the fuse is to protect your PSU, not your PC...

If you want one which does protect you decently against everything you need to buy a professional one (commonly external) and those cost a lot of money.
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-07-2005 at 06:19 AM

It can't have been a power surge/spike. Because it's got a power supply that protects it.
It is a external one. It's got 12 plugs adapters so everything i have in my room cant have had a power surge.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by CookieRevised on 09-07-2005 at 06:21 AM

quote:
It can't have been a power surge/spike. Because it's got a power supply that protects it.
as I just said, don't get into that false protection feeling. Almost all PSU's (unless you have a very professional big costly one) do not protect against power surges, that's a myth... ;)

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-07-2005 at 06:22 AM

Its a external one. It cost about £150

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by rav0 on 09-07-2005 at 07:27 AM

I think that you mean a powerboard/powerstrip/surge protector/surge guard (lots of names for the same thing). If it is a thing that you plus into the wall, and then plus other things into it instead of the wall. A power supply unit is a part of the computer.

A Power Supply Unit (PSU)
[Image: attachment.php?pid=530727]

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-07-2005 at 05:02 PM

I no that. I have a surge guard were you can plug other things in. It also defends you from spikes.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by absorbation on 09-07-2005 at 05:08 PM

quote:
I no that. I have a surge guard were you can plug other things in. It also defends you from spikes.

It may not of worked and as i can not look persaonly at your computer you should take it to a repair shop or look for someone local who can repair/ build computers :)
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-07-2005 at 05:39 PM

Yer but my pc aint worth the money. Its a shit thing. I mean you can't get much slower than 1ghz. 256mb of ram, 2mb graphics card. can you>P

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-07-2005 at 07:33 PM

Before this PC (which I built two and a half years ago), I had a Pentium 75 with 32MB memory and God-knows-what crap as a GFX card.

RE: RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by rav0 on 09-08-2005 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Yer but my pc aint worth the money. Its a shit thing. I mean you can't get much slower than 1ghz. 256mb of ram, 2mb graphics card. can you>P

I want one!
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by [MR] on 09-08-2005 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Hi,
When i turn my pc on it goes beeeeeeeeeeeep! every 10 seconds and nothing shows up on my monitor.
Help please!!!!!

that happened to me just unplug it for a while and then after a while plug it back in and then it should turn on ;)
RE: RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by CookieRevised on 09-08-2005 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
quote:
Hi,
Help please!!!!!

that happened to me just unplug it for a while and then after a while plug it back in and then it should turn on ;)

This can be caused by a PSU that is to small. When you start up your PC all your components demand some power (peek power) at the same time, if you PSU can't handle such peek it may fail to give some components the power they "request" and thus causes an error in the POST. When you restart your PC, some components still have some power residue (dunno how it is exactly called in English), and when reset/restarted don't require that much power anymore (sometimes), so your PC will start up nicely. Or some components start up in a slightly different order (this is talking in millisecs, or even microsecs) when you do a warm boot compared to a cold boot, also resulting in a different power demand, etc...

All in all, this could be a cause of this beheviour, it isn't thé cause though (loose cables, bad contacts, etc, may also be one of the causes). But you could always try to replace your PSU with a bigger one (PSU don't costs much anymore and a bigger PSU is never money thrown away)
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2005 at 05:49 PM

'Power residue' may not be the correct term, but it's probably more understandable than saying all devices have capacitance.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 06:37 PM

I was thinking whether it's to do with the hardrive not bieng connected. because it says bios and what type it is then it freezes there.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by YottabyteWizard on 09-08-2005 at 06:46 PM

Maybe your problem is the same thing as my friend's PC. I'm not quite sure but i think your harddrive might not be spinning. If you can see the bios info then i don't think the PSU or RAM are the problem

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 06:50 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhh! to much information.
INFORMATION OVERLOAD
sorry it's just that there's loads of problems it could be.Because everyone seems to be helping me[not that it's bad ;)]
I'm so confused!!!!!!!!!!

RE: RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by CookieRevised on 09-08-2005 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhh! to much information.
INFORMATION OVERLOAD
sorry it's just that there's loads of problems it could be.Because everyone seems to be helping me[not that it's bad ;)]
I'm so confused!!!!!!!!!!

because with all the things you posted (which are actually non related/consistant) you would suspect to get all those different answers. Without decent detailed descriptions of what _exactly_ happens point by point it is impossibe to pinpoint the problem. (And most likely you even do have multiple non related problems)
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(And most likely you even do have multiple non related problems)
What do you mean by that?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by CookieRevised on 09-08-2005 at 07:08 PM

Because you posted many totally different non related things...

1) repeated beeping every 10 seconds when starting up, nothing else (even not a thing on the moni)...
2) one beep for 2 seconds...
3) two beeps...
4) a browned sticker on the mem chip
5) Bios POST messages do come up on the moni. but freezes after xxx. (xxx because it is not clear at all when it exactly freezes; a POST routine does many stuff)
6) etc...

Diagnosing POST problems remotely is as good as impossible, especially if the person in question doesn't have the knowledge of what is or isn't happening (no offense though! It is just very difficult to explain and advise without resorting to technical terms and stuff and without needing to write pages of explainations of how stuff works in order to get a good description of the problems; it's like trying to help someone who only can drive a car with diagnosing his electronics chip in his car)

The only decent advice we can give you is to go to a PC repear shop or your local PC retailer or whatever...

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Savior on 09-08-2005 at 07:21 PM

I agree with cookie

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2005 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Savior
I agree with cookie
Wow, helpful :mipdodgy:
If you're not going to add anything, then don't.

msg_plus_freak, one thing that may help us is a transcript of what appears on the screen. Then we'll be able to see where the boot stops, and go from there ;)
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 07:27 PM

Whats a transcript

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2005 at 07:33 PM

A copy of what's on the screen basically.

Though technically a transcript is a written copy of a conversation.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 07:45 PM

Ok.
the hardrive revs up twice.
it then displays this.
nvidia TNT2 model 64 bois v2.0.5.13e
copyright ( C ) 1996-1999 nvidea corp
266.0 mb ram
it then goes beeeep. [10 seconds later beep and this carrys on]
That's basically it!
edit: 2.0mb :rofl:

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2005 at 08:22 PM

266MB RAM? That's not a normal figure for a graphics card. You may want to check it's not damaged.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by ShawnZ on 09-08-2005 at 08:29 PM

quote:

erm, you mean Power bar? (american term I guess.)

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
266MB RAM? That's not a normal figure for a graphics card. You may want to check it's not damaged.

maybe he just typoed 256?

by the way, those messages happen before the POST test. that is your graphics card booting up. (therefore, im guessing its fine)
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 08:38 PM

ahhhh. so what do you reckons going wrong?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2005 at 08:43 PM

If it's not the graphics card, the next thing would be the BIOS or the RAMN. Since you mention a browning of a RAM sticker, I'm thinking something's singed it from underneath. Like the RAM chip.

So you may need a new RAM stick.

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 08:46 PM

There was a brown sticker on the graphics card. not ram

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2005 at 08:47 PM

On which chip, do you know? Is it on the biggest one, or on one of the rectangular ones?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 08:52 PM

what do you mean by that?

RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by _Humphreys on 09-08-2005 at 10:14 PM

I've had this once before...turns out my RAM stick was loose.

RE: RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by CookieRevised on 09-09-2005 at 04:22 AM

quote:
Ok.
the hardrive revs up twice.
Are you sure it is the HDD that you hear??? Checking the HDD is not the first thing which occurs when you boot up a PC, it is the last thing

quote:
it then displays this.
nvidia TNT2 model 64 bois v2.0.5.13e
copyright ( C ) 1996-1999 nvidea corp
266.0 mb ram
"266.0 mb" <= is that correct and literally as it is printed on screen?
"bois" <= Is that correct?

remember to not make typos in such important stuff. Check and double check your writings and check and double check again before you post.

quote:
it then goes beeeep. [10 seconds later beep and this carrys on]
that is very vague and very confusing and not clear at all. "10 seconds later beep" <= what do you mean by that? The beep takes 10 seconds? It is 10 secs silence before there is a beep? "and this carries on" <= how does it carry on? The beep is continuously? There is after X seconds of beep another 10 seconds silence before the next beep? etc... etc...

quote:
edit: 2.0mb :rofl:
2.0? About what 'two point zero' megabytes are you talking about????

Describe everything again, in more detail and step by step

------------------------------------------

quote:
There was a brown sticker on the graphics card. not ram

Can you please be absolutely clear in your futur posts ;) It really doesn't help if you keep on posting contradicting stuff to what you posted before. Before you posted that the sticker on the back was browned. This was after we talked about fried memory. So what it is?

Is it a sticker on the back of the graphics card?
Is it a sticker on the back of a memory module?
Is the sticker browned by heat or dust?
Or is the sticker simply a brown sticker?

------------------------------------------

Be very detailed and very clear in what you write. So far this thread has come up with not much after all these posts because we never get a clear picture and each time that "picture" changes...

As for the things you see on the screen when you boot up, I also doubt that it is the full detailed stuff you see. Normally you should also see some BIOS info, version number etc... Every detail and every letter/number you see on the screen (even its place on the screen) is important; do not make typo's either when copying. You could also try to take a picture/photo of the screen and attach that. To freeze the screen (during the beeps) press on your PAUSE key on the keyboard (this is useually the right top key on your keyboard).

If you describe your problems in detail and step by step say what you see and hear, and mention everything exactly as you see it on screen, we wouldn't have this long thread. A description can not be too long or too detailed, however, it can be too short and to vague. Take your time to make detailed step by step posts instead of quickly replying with 1 sentences with abbrivations and what not.

If you are unable to do that, helping you is very difficult and the help might not be correct (hence we suggested several times you take it to your local PC shop so they can see the things for themselfs).

;)
RE: OMFG What the fu*k's happened to my pc????!!!! by Nathan on 09-09-2005 at 06:55 AM

Ok I'll run through it when i get back from school ok. havnt got time now.