Shoutbox

remote desktop connection - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: remote desktop connection (/showthread.php?tid=50163)

remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-07-2005 at 11:51 AM

how can i get a server or whatever remote desktop connection requires for the 2 computers in my room that are connected only by a network(they have no interenet) b/c im getting tired of moving the moniter plug from one computer to another (i only have one moniter for them atm) and im tried of using remote assistance for that too...so how might i get this to work properly?  bother computers have windows xp home edition. thanks !

RE: remote desktop connection by Luigi on 09-07-2005 at 12:04 PM

I don't know how to use Remote Desktop, I always use UltraVnc (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net) and it works great! You can register UltraVnc as a service and control everything, including remote file transfer by lan or internet.
"UltraVNC is an easy to use, fast and free sotware that can display the screen of another computer (via internet or network) on your own screen. The program allows you to use your mouse and keyboard to control the other PC remotely. It means that you can work on a remote computer, as if you were sitting in front of it, right from your current location.
[...]
UltraVNC key features include FileTransfer, Video Driver, Encryption Plugins, MS Logon, high performances over all kinds of connections, Viewer Toolbar, JavaViewer with FileTransfer, autoscaling and serverside scaling, Multiple Monitors support, Repeater/proxy support, good Security and Text Chat."

RE: remote desktop connection by zaher1988 on 09-07-2005 at 04:18 PM

Same u can also use www.logmein.com (Y) perfect solution , and full options :)

RE: remote desktop connection by M73A on 09-07-2005 at 07:14 PM

Radmin V2.2 is great... i love it...

http://www.radmin.com

radmin = remote admin ;)

RE: remote desktop connection by Nathan on 09-07-2005 at 07:50 PM

I rate log me in. It's seriously the best. It's got a free option + a 30day  free trial of the profeesional.

RE: remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-07-2005 at 09:10 PM

which one is the best...i dont know ...i was justtrying to see how remote desktop connection that comes with widows works but tell me what yall think is the best off brand remote desktop connection (which is free and no trials).

RE: remote desktop connection by M73A on 09-07-2005 at 09:16 PM

radmin is free... well u can register it but as far as i know it doesnt run out....

EDIT: oh it is 30 day trial... but you can alwasy "buy" it

RE: remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-07-2005 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
but you can alwasy "buy" it

ya i probably will just do that ;)
RE: remote desktop connection by ShawnZ on 09-07-2005 at 09:27 PM

Remote Desktop in windows is best... RealVNC second...

RE: remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-07-2005 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Remote Desktop in windows is best.

well i just need to know how to connect to that computer...i didnt understand when i tried...it said there was no server or somthing like that between the 2 computers...i dunno ill check the real message again later.
RE: remote desktop connection by zaher1988 on 09-08-2005 at 08:25 AM

Trust me guys and try logmein.com !! :) i'm not doing marketing, but i'm working on it since 3 months, u get full free trial option for 1 month, then the remote control alone is for free!

BTW. i still couldn't use windows remote desktop outside my intranet , any one know how to work on it , over internet !?

thx

RE: remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-08-2005 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
Trust me guys and try logmein.com !! :) i'm not doing marketing, but i'm working on it since 3 months, u get full free trial option for 1 month, then the remote control alone is for free!

BTW. i still couldn't use windows remote desktop outside my intranet , any one know how to work on it , over internet !?

thx

does logein.com require the interenet to use it b/c im just try to do it for my 2 testing computers that are only connected to eachother through a network.
RE: remote desktop connection by zaher1988 on 09-08-2005 at 12:11 PM

yes i guess :S ! !

RE: remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-08-2005 at 09:02 PM

quote:
yes i guess :S ! !

ok well ill figure out which one to get later.
RE: remote desktop connection by Nathan on 09-08-2005 at 09:06 PM

it can connect to pc's in a netowork or over internet. it's great
i leave mypc on when i go to scholl and at schol i log in to mi pc its sweet!

RE: remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-08-2005 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak

thats awesome.
RE: RE: remote desktop connection by segosa on 09-09-2005 at 06:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak

Instead of using a stupid noob-friendly overly complicated system like logmein.com one could learn how to config VNC, which isn't hard.
RE: remote desktop connection by zaher1988 on 09-09-2005 at 08:29 PM

quote:

I asked this question :)
RE: remote desktop connection by Sypher on 09-09-2005 at 08:42 PM

* Radmin
* TightVNC
* RealVNC
* Terminal Client Services / XP Remote Desktop
* KVM Switch (these things rock!)

To make Remote Desktop work you must open & forward TCP 3389 to the pc you want to connect to...

Eventually you can change this in the registry..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

And if you've changed that, change the TCP port and open & fwd it... Or add the pc to DMZ

RE: remote desktop connection by zaher1988 on 09-09-2005 at 08:57 PM

no i mean, what to type in the W. remote desktop destination address, i mean the IP , or the computer name, how to find it, over internet!

thanks in advance

RE: remote desktop connection by Sypher on 09-09-2005 at 10:31 PM

Go to http://www.whatismyip.com .. This site shows you your IP adress ;)

If you're at school and want to connect to home, enter your home IP adress and voila.. (if you have configured it Okay)

If you have a DYNAMIC ip,  DHCP Leased -> changes once in a while, it's kinda irritating.. at Dyndns.org you can create a free "DynDNS" , this is a hostname (yourname.dyndns.org for example) which forwards everything to your home ip... With a special DynDNS client you can update your ip, in order to keep your hostname working...

Good luck :)

RE: remote desktop connection by lizard.boy on 09-10-2005 at 02:16 AM

if both pcs are in the same room buy a kvm switch. i have a 4 port switch and its the best thing i've paid for.

RE: remote desktop connection by Lou on 09-10-2005 at 02:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Luigi
"UltraVNC
I believe is the best(y)
RE: remote desktop connection by [MR] on 09-10-2005 at 03:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
if both pcs are in the same room buy a kvm switch. i have a 4 port switch and its the best thing i've paid for.

well im about to get another moniter from a friend for free so nvm i guess