Shoutbox

MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! (/showthread.php?tid=50226)

MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by Yousef on 09-08-2005 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mess.be

Like Overdo already posted on our forums, Microsoft will next week put the Activity API up for download. Developers will be able to use it to program their own Games and Activities for MSN Messenger, so you can expect a lot of growth and interesting stuff happening in this area soon.

Together with the release of the API, Microsoft is organizing a worldwide competition in which users can vote for the best homemade apps submitted by coders. Prizes for the creators of the winning apps include an Alienware Area 51 laptop with armored case, Aurora Desktops and Oakley Thump sun glasses with built in MP3 player. The competition will start on September 12th and will be open to individuals aged 18 years or older.

That's awesome! I'm definitely going to check that out! But why the 18 year stuff :s
RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2005 at 07:29 PM

I think the release of this API is a hugely significant step in the right direction for the MSN Messenger team. It shows they're starting to consider the hobbyist programmer, and we all know what heights hobbyist programmers can reach. After all, Plus! started as a hobby project for Patchou, and now it's his career.

I hope this is the start of a new trend, and they fix and expand the Messenger API itself. Part of it's broken in 7.5, a part that both Plus! and Phoenix depend on.

Edit: Well, OK, Patchou's coded a workaround.

RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by prashker on 09-08-2005 at 08:49 PM

u have a little question. How what program do i use Cuz im gonna learning to edit MSN?

RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by CookieRevised on 09-09-2005 at 04:14 AM

what do you mean by "edit msn"??? If you mean reshacking it (which is the most likely translation of what you wrote) then that post is seriously off topic.

If you mean programming something and use this new Activity API, then you need a programming language (whatever language) and knowledge of how to use the API.

RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by Mnjul on 09-09-2005 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I think the release of this API is a hugely significant step in the right direction for the MSN Messenger team. It shows they're starting to consider the hobbyist programmer, and we all know what heights hobbyist programmers can reach. After all, Plus! started as a hobby project for Patchou, and now it's his career.

I hope this is the start of a new trend, and they fix and expand the Messenger API itself. Part of it's broken in 7.5, a part that both Plus! and Phoenix depend on.

Edit: Well, OK, Patchou's coded a workaround.

I agree with you.. but more I wonder that it's just a set of new API only about "Games and Activities" that only has the interface of simple communication between MSN Messenger and custom games (for example, only contact names). I mean, it may probably be neither a "fix" for current Messenger API, nor a redesigned Messenger API that supports many things added in MSNMsgr6 and MSNMsgr7... for the API we have for now was released back in days when we have MSNMsgr5 that had problems under Windows XP. ;)
RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by Purity on 09-09-2005 at 05:45 AM

Wow, that's great, im just learning VB right now.  Should be done by end of november or december (comp sci class)

RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by Dempsey on 09-09-2005 at 07:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
Wow, that's great, im just learning VB right now.  Should be done by end of november or december (comp sci class)
I doubt VB will be usable, it will probably be either C++ or web languages such as Javascript and Flash.
RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by RaceProUK on 09-09-2005 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
<snipped>
I agree with you.. but more I wonder that it's just a set of new API only about "Games and Activities" that only has the interface of simple communication between MSN Messenger and custom games (for example, only contact names). I mean, it may probably be neither a "fix" for current Messenger API, nor a redesigned Messenger API that supports many things added in MSNMsgr6 and MSNMsgr7... for the API we have for now was released back in days when we have MSNMsgr5 that had problems under Windows XP. ;)
I never said it was a fix. All I said was I hope they fix the Messenger API at some point. I'm fully aware it's a new API entirely.
RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by Mnjul on 09-12-2005 at 08:25 AM

I wonder if MSN Messenger Activity SDK @ Microsoft Downloads is what we're discussing about? :S

RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by Dempsey on 09-12-2005 at 08:28 AM

It would seem so, I'm going to have a look at that later and see what we can do with it.

RE: MSN Messenger Activity API to be released! by RaceProUK on 09-12-2005 at 12:17 PM

I've just downloaded it - will look at it too.