Shoutbox

How to make a tutorial ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How to make a tutorial ? (/showthread.php?tid=50276)

How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:12 PM

Hello there
I'd like to make a tutorial to explain how to install the language compatibility for people which write with a different alphabet. How can I do it ?

Thanks in advance

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by NiteMare on 09-09-2005 at 05:15 PM

anyone can make a tutorial, all you really need is some detailed instructions and maybe a few screen shots

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:16 PM

Ok but how can I make screen shoots and copy them ? It's the first time I make a tutorial... :S

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Jhrono on 09-09-2005 at 05:17 PM

click the key above "Insert" Named print screen on your keyboard, then go to an image editing software and press Control + V

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by KeyStorm on 09-09-2005 at 05:22 PM

Well... You have to make an easiest as possible approach to the topic:

-Language: Think of your target readers, if they don't know anything about computers use a non-techie language. Also, describe lways what they have to do and what are the visual results of what they do best with...

-Screenshots: take as many screenshots as possible. It's also a good practice to add some labels or arrows to point to the items on screen refered to in the text. It's also good to crop the screenshots to the most interesting part of the screen, like where they need to fill in or where they have to press.

-Format: It's best in HTML, so anyone will be able to read it. If you don't know HTML, use some WYSIWYG editors which are pretty easy to use. You may also export it to PDF for people to print it, but that's certainly more difficult.

And the final advice: Re-read it several times, find weak explanations and strengthen them.

Good luck. :)

Edit: You better put it somewhere in the net and not here, because it will be sort of off-topic to the board. Get some free hosting and index it on google.

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:23 PM

Thanks for the advice !!
What software can I use ? Do you think Paint (the basic software in Windows) is enough ?

Thanks

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by NiteMare on 09-09-2005 at 05:25 PM

paint works fine:)

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
paint works fine:)

Thanks a lot !!
RE: How to make a tutorial ? by KeyStorm on 09-09-2005 at 05:26 PM

(split is to move a part of a trhead to another forum, in this case to Testing  & Trashing)

Paint is fair enough, yes. But don't save the images as bmp, do it as gif or png if possible.

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
(split is to move a part of a trhead to another forum, in this case to Testing  & Trashing)

Paint is fair enough, yes. But don't save the images as bmp, do it as gif or png if possible.

How ti save it in .gif ?

Ok I met a problem : whereas I want to make my tutorial in English, my Windows is in French.
Can someone, which has Win XP in English, make the shots I need ?

I write the txt in English, and when I'll translate my tutorial in French I'll make shots myself.

Thanks in advance.
RE: How to make a tutorial ? by KeyStorm on 09-09-2005 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
May i ask, what's the subject of your tutorial ?..

Read the first post. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Giulia
quote:

How ti save it in .gif ?
When you choose a name for saving, choose a format below the name.
RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
May i ask, what's the subject of your tutorial ?..

The subject of the tutorial is how to install non Latin languages on the computer. This can be useful for people speaking languages as Greek, Russian...
RE: How to make a tutorial ? by KeyStorm on 09-09-2005 at 05:38 PM

The problem is that it would be of more use if it was translated to each  non-latin language. Because, despite many know French or English, many more won't, I'm afraid. And this won't help them much. :-/

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:49 PM

quote:
The problem is that it would be of more use if it was translated to each  non-latin language. Because, however many know French or English, many more won't, I'm afraid. And this won't help them much. :-/

I had myself this problem : I often write in Greek and go to the Greek Internet. So I found the solution for solving it, and I give it to the others.
My Greek teacher had this problem : she had a Spanish windows and she didn't know how to read her mails.
So first I make the tutorial in English, and after we find the translators for the tutorial. Otherwise alone I won't be able to do it.

Just a little question for French speakers : how can we translate Poste de Travail ?
Here is how it looks like :
quote:
The problem is that it would be of more use if it was translated to each  non-latin language. Because, however many know French or English, many more won't, I'm afraid. And this won't help them much. :-/

I had myself this problem : I often write in Greek and go to the Greek Internet. So I found the solution for solving it, and I give it to the others.
My Greek teacher had this problem : she had a Spanish windows and she didn't know how to read her mails.
So first I make the tutorial in English, and after we find the translators for the tutorial. Otherwise alone I won't be able to do it.

Just a little question for French speakers : how can we translate Poste de Travail ?
Here is how does it look in French, I reduced it a lot not to take too much space.

Thanks for the answer

quote:
The problem is that it would be of more use if it was translated to each  non-latin language. Because, despite many know French or English, many more won't, I'm afraid. And this won't help them much. :-/

Yes but doing it alone will be too hard. I can start by doing it in French and English, and then we can translate it into each language we need.
RE: How to make a tutorial ? by RaceProUK on 09-09-2005 at 05:51 PM

quote:
PNG is preferable - the GIF compression in Paint sucks.
RE: How to make a tutorial ? by KeyStorm on 09-09-2005 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Yes but doing it alone will be too hard. I can start by doing it in French and English, and then we can translate it into each language we need.
Sure (Y)

My Windows is Spanish, so I doubt I can help you with the screenies. But if you ever want to translate it to Spanish, let me know.

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 05:53 PM

quote:
quote:
Sure (Y)

My Windows is Spanish, so I doubt I can help you with the screenies. But if you ever want to translate it to Spanish, ler me know.

I don't speak Spanish, so I won't be able to do it.
I speak Greek but my level isn't enough good to make the tutorial in this language.

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by KeyStorm on 09-09-2005 at 05:56 PM

As said: Let me know and I may help you.

You should ask around. There's pretty much people from different countries, you may surely find some to translate it to Chinese, Greek, Russian, Indi or Hebrew

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by alegator on 09-09-2005 at 05:59 PM

Giulia, there's also some software products for this, here are two good ones:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/captivate/
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 06:02 PM

Ok Thanks !
I am writing my tutorial in English on Word, and for screen shoots, I'll make them in French.

RE: How to make a tutorial ? by Giulia on 09-09-2005 at 06:18 PM

Ok so I wrote my tutorial in English. Since my Windows is in French, I only guessed their translation, so it can be totally wrong. If someone has the courage to correct it, this will be a great service !!

How to install non Latin languages ?
For beginner, easy

A. On the desk, go to My computer, then click on Control Panel.

B. Click on Date,Time,Language and Regional Options, then choose Regional and Language Options.

C.
1)    If your language writes from right to left, click on the tab Languages. In the frame Supplemental language support,  tick Install files fo complex scripts and riht-to-left languages, then you have to tick the box Install files for East Asian Languages. Reboot your computer.
2)    If it’s an European language language, go to the tab Advanced, then check into the frame Code page conversion tables that your language is ticked. In case of necessity, tick its box.

D. To have your keyboard in your language, click on the tab Languages, then, in the frame Text service and input languages, click on Details.
In the frame Installed services, click on the button Add. Choose your language, then valid with OK.
In the frame Preferences, click on the Language bar, then tick on the box Show the language bar on the desk. Valid with OK.