Shoutbox

[Solved] Explorer won't load - blank screen - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [Solved] Explorer won't load - blank screen (/showthread.php?tid=50282)

[Solved] Explorer won't load - blank screen by kierant on 09-09-2005 at 06:08 PM

I have a problem when trying to log on to my PC. The PC has five users - all with administrator accounts - and every time one of them tries to log in, it won't.

After entering the password the usual Windows logon sound plays, the user tile goes to the centre and says 'logging in' (or whatever it says), but then that's as far is it goes. The screen either stays as that or occasionally the user's just wallpaper loads. I am able to open Task Manager but am unsure what to run to get the desktop to load. I tried running explorer.exe but this just opened the My Documents of that user.

I have also tried booting in safe mode but this just replaces the logging in/wallpaper stage with a black screen with safe mode in the four corners.

I have no idea what has happened, it worked fine last night. I performed a few virus checks by running the programs through Task Manager but nothing was found.

[If it may help solve the issue or is linked, the Internet connection has been acting strange for the past two days. It says there is a connection but web pages would not load and MSN would not sign in. This applied to the wireless laptop on the same network but this is since working fine.]

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by Luigi on 09-09-2005 at 06:11 PM

Try pressing ctrl+alt+del and selecting your account in the window that comes up (no idea if this can help you, I haven't ever had similar problems)

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by kierant on 09-09-2005 at 06:21 PM

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I have already tried this and it doesn't work.

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by Luigi on 09-09-2005 at 06:27 PM

try installing another shell instead of Explorer, to let the system come up.
Use LiteStep installer (http://lsinstaller.loose-screws.com) to instal litestep, this will replace the desktop/start bar.
Then, you'll be able to check what appened.
I hope :D

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by Reaper on 09-09-2005 at 08:09 PM

i had this problem before. most of the time, i terminated the explorer.exe process in the task manager and started it again and it worked. but one way is to log onto one account, then switch users, then log onto another, then it should work

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by matty on 09-09-2005 at 08:15 PM

Reboot the computer tapping F8 and choose Safe Mode

Click Start > Run > type msconfig
Click Startup Tab
Cross reference the list with this from this website http://sysinfo.org

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by kierant on 09-09-2005 at 08:24 PM

I've yet to try either of your suggestions just yet as someone is using the PC for homework [having to load Word through Task Manager :P].

Luigi: if I install a new shell how would I check what the problem is and should I be able to fix it under this new shell?

Reaper: assuming this works I take it it is not a permanent solution and I would need to do this every time?

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Reboot the computer tapping F8 and choose Safe Mode

Click Start > Run > type msconfig
Click Startup Tab
Cross reference the list with this from this website http://sysinfo.org

So you mean check if any of them are spyware/malware etc.? Or am I missing your point?
RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by multimillion2k on 09-09-2005 at 08:39 PM

Have you tried a system restore, kierant?

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by Reaper on 09-09-2005 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kierant

Reaper: assuming this works I take it it is not a permanent solution and I would need to do this every time?

nah it aint a permanent fix, and i dont know one and ye you would need to do this everytime lol

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by matty on 09-09-2005 at 08:45 PM

quote:
So you mean check if any of them are spyware/malware etc.? Or am I missing your point?
Your missing the point. The purpose of this is to remove any programs that could potentially cause explorer to crash (do what its doing).

I recommend in normal mode to go to msconfig on the startup tab and write down what is all in the list. Then check the site to see what ones you need and dont need. Once your done that then reboot and clear the list in safe mode.
RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by Luigi on 09-09-2005 at 08:46 PM

With LiteStep you can use your computer normally, so you can run scan programs or try to run explorer.exe, reinstall it copying from another windows version....

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by mwe99 on 09-09-2005 at 08:59 PM

Have you tried to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and clicking New > Explorer.exe to see if it loads up?

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by kierant on 09-09-2005 at 09:06 PM

multimillion2k: no I haven't tried this yet as I thought there might be a simpler solution. I shall do it if nothing works (will I need to back up any files?)

Matty: OK I shall try that and if that doesn't work do a system restore.

mwe99: Yep I have tried that as mentioned in my original post :P

RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by rav0 on 09-10-2005 at 10:48 AM

quote:
I tried running explorer.exe but this just opened the My Documents of that user.
Use Windows Task Manager to first end any copies of explorer.exe already running, then start a new one. Click the heading process name to order them.
RE: RE: Explorer won't load - blank screen by kierant on 09-10-2005 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
quote:
I tried running explorer.exe but this just opened the My Documents of that user.
Use Windows Task Manager to first end any copies of explorer.exe already running, then start a new one. Click the heading process name to order them.

There are no instances of explorer running in the first place so I can't terminate the process. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Anyway guys, I have resolved this issue by simply performing a system restore. It wasn't as painful as I had imagined and everything is working fine again.

Thanks all for your time and responses.(Y)