Shoutbox

Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS (/showthread.php?tid=50303)

Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS by zach on 09-10-2005 at 07:08 AM

When I did a virus scan today, it found three infected files.
The first one was in "C: Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firetune\install\firetune.exe" which is where I installed Firetune and the other two were in "C: System Volume Information\_restore..." files.

I don't know how I got it and what it does. Does anyone else know about this or get it?

RE: Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS by absorbation on 09-10-2005 at 07:56 AM

firetune was posted here as an addon but many people flamed it saying it was useless :S

It could have an optional, or a sponsor, did it?, because it could be like a plus! situation. If not i recmmend you uninsatll the program or make the scanner delete it :)

RE: Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS by Anubis on 09-10-2005 at 08:10 AM

What website did you download FireTune from?
If it was downloaded from an unreliable source it could be bundled with a trojan, accedently or purposefully.

There are many Downloader.Agent builds, but I've never heard of an XS build. Are you sure it was XS and not any other letters (ie AS?)

RE: Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS by zach on 09-10-2005 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
firetune was posted here as an addon but many people flamed it saying it was useless :S

It could have an optional, or a sponsor, did it?, because it could be like a plus! situation. If not i recmmend you uninsatll the program or make the scanner delete it :)
I did remove the files that were detected in the scan. when I checked to see what firetune had "optimized", it looks like it was only one thing: "firetune.optimization | User set | Integer | 1"

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
What website did you download FireTune from?
If it was downloaded from an unreliable source it could be bundled with a trojan, accedently or purposefully.

There are many Downloader.Agent builds, but I've never heard of an XS build. Are you sure it was XS and not any other letters (ie AS?)
It was downloaded from totalidea.com. My AV didn't pick up the trojan before, so I must have just got it.
I'm sure it was XS. That's what it says in the 'virus vault'.

Could have there been some security hole that the trojan exploited? if those are the right words ;s
RE: Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS by Mike on 09-10-2005 at 12:01 PM

Are you using AVG?

Because someone else on another forum has the sam problem with AVG.

RE: Firetune -Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.XS by zach on 09-10-2005 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Are you using AVG?

Because someone else on another forum has the sam problem with AVG.
Yes I am. I wonder why it's detecting it as a trojan then...