Shoutbox

RAM... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: RAM... (/showthread.php?tid=50304)

RAM... by spokes on 09-10-2005 at 07:37 AM

Ok, i'm thinking of getting new ram today, i don't really know much about ram, so can someone tell me the advantages of having more ram?

RE: RAM... by absorbation on 09-10-2005 at 07:40 AM

Random Acess Memory to sum up is the speed of your pc. High ram would make loading quicker.

* absorbation waits for cookie to tell me i'm wrong with all the tech stuff :rolleyes:

RE: RAM... by spokes on 09-10-2005 at 07:45 AM

So, photoshop wouldn't take so long to load, programs wont hang as much and the pc can handle more? is that basically right?

RE: RAM... by absorbation on 09-10-2005 at 07:46 AM

yeh, bigger the ram faster it goes in easy terms sure it's a bit more than that but that's the main reason people go for more ram :P

RE: RAM... by John Anderton on 09-10-2005 at 07:57 AM

How much ram do u have atm. I had 128 mb sd ram and i got 128 mb more (total 256 mb ram) and now photoshop works smoothly for me :)

RE: RAM... by Anubis on 09-10-2005 at 08:01 AM

Why more RAM is Better < That website sums up many of the key facts you will likely use (for home use that page doesn't really go into a lot of detail of advantages of RAM if you're running a server but it does cover it). However that is perfect for the key advantages of having more RAM.

Just make sure you get the RAM type that works with your motherboard (older computers can't use DDR but can use SDR).
Also its never a good idea to mix RAM types; ie. if your computer already has some DDR don't buy some SDR because its cheaper as it isn't as efficient and will lead the current DDR RAM to have to run slower which will cause problems.

RE: RAM... by Nathan on 09-10-2005 at 08:02 AM

Depends what your using it for.
If your using it for programs etc. then you want to use min 512mb ram.
If your using it for games you want to use 1-2 gb of ram! For good gameplay.

RE: RAM... by Anubis on 09-10-2005 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak

Depends what your using it for.
If your using it for programs etc. then you want to use min 512mb ram.
A lot of you really don't know how to rough it do you?

"Programs" covers a lot of stuff. From notepad, (which would run on an average computer from 15 years ago) to enhanced CGI graphical design programs, that they use on films, which can need 2Gb of RAM to work at minimum.

For average computer programs, like word, music, and some old games; anyone can get away with 128mb (or even 64mb). Just as long as you ration the amount of stuff you have running at once.

quote:
512mb of DDR RAM will easily play many of the high spec games that are out at the moment. 1gb would obviously seem better, but for now its nearly pointless.
RE: RAM... by Nathan on 09-10-2005 at 08:29 AM

Yer but if you did have 1gb of ram you could use programs and they wouldnt crash! And games would be an extra

RE: RAM... by WDZ on 09-10-2005 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Yer but if you did have 1gb of ram you could use programs and they wouldnt crash!
Err... wtf :p

You can use programs without them crashing with any amount of RAM...
RE: RAM... by John Anderton on 09-10-2005 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Yer but if you did have 1gb of ram you could use programs and they wouldnt crash!
Err... wtf :p

You can use programs without them crashing with any amount of RAM...
Yeah true but i think what he meant was like if you have 64 - 128 mb sd ram then running photoshop 8 cs or above (well even v 7) is tough cause it gets stuck in between. So what he means is that if you have more ram then you can easily run any program smoothly and A) Not be bugged B) Easily complete your work C) not have to have your computer hang every once in a while (A)
RE: RAM... by spokes on 09-10-2005 at 09:37 AM

Well, i got my RAM now, ive noticed that it loads programs alot faster, and that iTunes is STILL slow, lol

but Messenger loads fast, now for the ultimate challenge, to see if it can load photoshop in less than 30 seconds

RE: RAM... by Garndell on 09-11-2005 at 12:03 PM

If you've got 512MB of PC3200 (400MHz) DDR buying another 512MB of PC3200 won't increase the speed (unless Dual Channel) just enable you to do more.

IMO 256MB is the absolute minimum for Windoes XP which makes Windows XP 64bit 512MB minimum (since 64bit is twice the data chunk size of 32bit).

If you play games (casual gamer) 512MB is fine, if you're hardcore then 1GB is the minimum you should use.

CAD/CGI & even heavy Video Editing also 1GB is the minimum you should use, while 2GB will be better.

A server really doesn't make sense with les than 2GB of RAM as they tend to do a lot of tasks simultaneously.

EDIT:  once your RAM is full it will use your Page File (Virtual Memory) which is vastly slower than RAM and in that way more RAM will seem faster.

RE: RAM... by Eljay on 09-11-2005 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
if you're hardcore then 1GB is the minimum you should use.

not really true, what if youre a hardcore old skool point and click gamer and just play monkey island :cheesy: