Shoutbox

Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone (/showthread.php?tid=50332)

Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by alegator on 09-10-2005 at 10:15 PM

Hi, I have many friends here in Argentina that I see in my contact list under the "Mobile" category when they are offline, and when I send a message from my PC they receive them in their mobile. I want to configure the same for my mobile phone so that my contacts can send me text messages to my mobile from MSN Messenger. How can I do this? I tried going to TOOLS/OPTIONS/PHONE, I tried clicking "Mobile Settings" but my country is not listed...any clues? Also, the "Allow people on my contacts list to send messages to my mobile device" checkbox that shows in TOOLS/OPTIONS/PHONE tab can not be checked since it is not highlighted.
thanks!

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by joao267 on 09-10-2005 at 10:57 PM

Well I think you need to instal an application in your cellfone. Have you got a Nokia s60?

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by alegator on 09-10-2005 at 11:02 PM

joao, I have a Siemens S66, but it has nothing to do with installing an application in the cellphone. The contacts send you SMS text messages from MSN Messenger to your mobile, and if your mobile is enabled to receive SMS that's all you need.

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by mwe99 on 09-10-2005 at 11:10 PM

Check out: MSN Mobile Services

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by joao267 on 09-10-2005 at 11:23 PM

Because, if you instal an apllication in the cellfone it would be easier. But are other ways.

Yes, thats right !!!! Good Post

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by mwe99 on 09-10-2005 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joao267
Because, if you instal an apllication in the cellfone it would be easier. But are other ways.

Yes, thats right !!!! Good Post

True, but i dont know of applications that are downloadable for that make of phone sorry. Additionally you'd probably have to pay

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by alegator on 09-10-2005 at 11:40 PM

None of my contacts pays for the service, thay subscribed for free. So ?

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by joao267 on 09-10-2005 at 11:41 PM

Yes, maybe.  For Nokia is simple are many apps. But for others is more dificult.

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by multimillion2k on 09-11-2005 at 03:15 AM

Joao, It has nothing to do with any phone software, or what type of phone you have - it is basically an sms message.

Alegator, your checkbox is probably greyed out because you haven't set up anything in your 'mobile settings' - had you been able to complete it then I think simply signing out and back in again would enable the checkbox to be ticked.

I don't know why you couldn't find Argentina on the list of countries, if you want to see if the checkbox will work you can select a random country for now, just don't leave it ticked or people might try to send you messages :P

I assumed that it was a paid service (I'm sure everyone would be using it if it was free) but perhaps some networks offer it as a free service?

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by alegator on 09-11-2005 at 03:59 AM

multi, I checked with the local mobile phone service provider and they told me that if someone sends me an sms to my mobile from their PC based MSN Messenger it's free for me. Of course replying that message from my mobile is paid. What I'm not sure is if sending an SMS from a PC based MSN Messenger is free, but my contacts told me they don't pay. Maybe now Microsoft changed the policy and is charging for that?

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by trini on 09-11-2005 at 06:24 AM

If you county is not listed, you can choose "other" from that list and put there your e-mail address. Then, of course, you e-mail must allow forwarding messages to mobile phone. Check out everyday.com if you don't have one, I'm using it and it's working (Y)

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by alegator on 09-11-2005 at 10:28 AM

there's no "other" in the drop down list. What is "everyday.com"? I checked it and it seems it's an ISP?

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by trini on 09-11-2005 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
there's no "other" in the drop down list. What is "everyday.com"? I checked it and it seems it's an ISP?
You put you country as US and choose "other" for your service provider. On everyday.com you can sign up for e-mail address that supports message forwarding to mobile phone. |-)

Edit: forgot to say that when you sign up for e-mail, you must put alert@mobile.msn.com to your address book to make message forwarding work.
RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by alegator on 09-11-2005 at 09:39 PM

Is email forwarding free? I mean, do I receive the email in my mobile as a regular SMS text message free of charge?

RE: Receiving MSN messages in the mobile phone by trini on 09-12-2005 at 09:19 AM

Yes, it's free :)