Shoutbox

login - password length changes :s - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: login - password length changes :s (/showthread.php?tid=50361)

login - password length changes :s by chrisbloe on 09-11-2005 at 03:58 PM

Messenger allows me to log in when I use my primary e-mail addy, which has an 8-character password, but when I try to log in using a second account (where the password length is 7-characters) an extra character is added to the password when I click to login...

I've tried logging in using different addresses and different password lengths, but it always changes to 8-characters, whilst the addy stays the same...

Anyone else having this problem?

Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0303
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.54.0132

RE: login - password length changes :s by mwe99 on 09-11-2005 at 04:30 PM

I dont think its a problem its just the way it masks the characters, my password is like ************** and i only get ********

RE: login - password length changes :s by Mnjul on 09-11-2005 at 04:31 PM

My password is 14 characters long, and MSN Messenger show 8 asterisks in Password box when I sign in, too. My guess is that MSN Messenger is doing this so that the password cannot be easily guessed :) Anyway, it's nothing to worry about since it's not hindering us from signing in, right? ;)

Edit: mwe99 beat me to it =p

RE: login - password length changes :s by EvilSeph on 09-11-2005 at 04:45 PM

The most important thing is, are you able to sign in with the second account? Because you should be. This isn't a bug nor an issue, it's intentional - at least, that's what it appears to be since this "bug" has been reported multiple times and has not yet been fixed.

RE: login - password length changes :s by chrisbloe on 09-11-2005 at 05:46 PM

no, it wont let me sign in, only my primary account signs in...

RE: login - password length changes :s by mwe99 on 09-11-2005 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chrisbloe
no, it wont let me sign in, only my primary account signs in...

Okay thats a different matter then, do you get an error message? If so can you post it?
RE: login - password length changes :s by chrisbloe on 09-11-2005 at 06:44 PM

quote:
do you get an error message? If so can you post it?

At the moment it's saying the service is temp. unavailable, but it usually says that either the addy doesn't exist or the password is wrong

error code: 80004005
RE: login - password length changes :s by mwe99 on 09-11-2005 at 07:05 PM

quote:
usually says that either the addy doesn't exist or the password is wrong

Have you checked your password is actually typed correctly? and can you log in to hotmail etc?

You'd be surprised how a simple typing error can affect your password
RE: login - password length changes :s by zaher1988 on 09-11-2005 at 07:15 PM

ok if it works on hotmail or other .net sites ! so then ur password is working! but change it make it more characters !! and try if it works!

RE: login - password length changes :s by mwe99 on 09-11-2005 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
ok if it works on hotmail or other .net sites ! so then ur password is working! but change it make it more characters !! and try if it works!

Actually, the minimum password for hotmail is a Six-character minimum with no spaces
RE: login - password length changes :s by L. Coyote on 09-11-2005 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0303
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.54.0132
quote:
error code: 80004005
Looking around the forums, it seems that the error appears when using MSN Messenger 7.5.x and MsgPlus! 3.54.0132 with Custom Names enabled or an old version of StuffPlug.

If you have "Custom Names" enabled, you could try disabling them before signing in. Or if you have StuffPlug, download a version compatible with MSN Messenger 7.5.x (or simply uninstall/disable the plug-in for now).

Not sure if it's related, but it's worth a try. (Y)
RE: login - password length changes :s by rav0 on 09-24-2005 at 03:23 AM

To make sure that you aren't making a mistake typing your password, type into a plain window such as Notepad, then copy it and paste it into the password box in MSN Messenger, and into Hotmail as well, then try.

RE: login - password length changes :s by haydos on 09-24-2005 at 05:52 PM

Also, you mentioned that its your 'secondary' email. Hotmail closes accounts temporarily without activity within 30 (i think) days. Make sure your email is still registered and activated if you havnt been on it lately.

It would also be a good idae to try and log into this 'secondary' email on another computer or even with basic windows messenger.

RE: login - password length changes :s by rav0 on 09-24-2005 at 11:29 PM

After the first inactivity period (30 days), you Hotmail account is suspended, your account still exists, your settings are there, but mail is deleted, and no new mail is accepted.

If your Hotmail account has been suspended, your Microsoft Passport still works, at other sites, and in Messenger.

In 90 days of no usage of your Microsoft Passport, it is removed completely.