Shoutbox

iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection (/showthread.php?tid=50362)

iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by kierant on 09-11-2005 at 04:00 PM

I am on a wireless network with one PC (Internet source) and one laptop.
Both use XP Home.

When iTunes 5 came out I downloaded it to the laptop and installed. After installation however, the internet connection and the laptop completely stopped [ie. no internet explorer; MSN etc.]. I checked the main PC and the connection had failed here too - even though the main PC is the source of the connection.

Strangely however, my wireless router that is connected to the PC [only laptop has wireless card - PC and router connected by ethernet] still displays the DSL LED to say that the connection is alive. Also, I am still able to share documents/printers between the two over the wireless.

I tried uninstalling iTunes on the laptop to fix it but the only way it could be fixed was to turn off the router for a while and turn it back on.

NOTE: it is definately iTunes that is causing the problem as I have tested and installed it a few times by running Internet Explorer moments before installation [works fine] and moments after [doesn't work].

If anyone is able to help I'd be very happy! Thanks

EDIT: I have noticed that in version 5 it installs a program called 'Bonjour'. What is this and could this be the problem?

EDIT2: I have just installed iTunes 5 on the main PC and this hasn't killed the internet connection in any way.*-) EDIT3: After actually running iTunes the connection was killed. Grr...

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by Stigmata on 09-11-2005 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kierant
EDIT: I have noticed that in version 5 it installs a program called 'Bonjour'. What is this and could this be the problem?

its "hello" in french :grin:

well kill the process and see what happens.
RE: RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by kierant on 09-11-2005 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
quote:
Originally posted by kierant

its "hello" in french :grin:

well kill the process and see what happens.

Funny guy.

I have and still the problem occurs.
RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by matty on 09-11-2005 at 06:55 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but iTunes 5 is not the culprite. Just because your DSL light is active doesn't mean your actually transfering bits of data back and forth. Now if you have to reset your router to get a connection then there might be something with the router itself but certainly not iTunes. Since you have uninstalled iTunes and it still happened a problem can't be caused by software not installed right?!?

I would reset both your router and your DSL Modem (unplug the power for each for 10 seconds then plug them back in). The devices may just need to be reset I know it happens at home with my network to.

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by Dane on 09-11-2005 at 07:06 PM

I'm going to agree with Matty, if anything, its your DSL having issues or the Modem/Router.  What is your DSL Company?  Most of them provide a tool that automatically ensures the connection status is Ok.

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by kierant on 09-11-2005 at 07:31 PM

Well having had 'my bubble burst' I'll add some more info:

With iTunes installed I tried resetting the router and the connection does not work. After uninstalling iTunes and then resetting the router once more - it does work. So I know you undoubtedly know more about this sort of thing than me, but it seems a bit fishy that this should happen right?

A bit more info: I was having trouble with Norton Internet Security a few days ago (on the main PC) and messages popped up telling me to uninstall and reinstall. So I uninstalled but have yet to reinstall. I don't know if this could have caused the problem?

Thanks for your replies

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by mad_onion on 09-11-2005 at 08:32 PM

no itunes 5 is the problem it installs bonjour (previously called rendevous) which allows library transfer over networks or something like that. but basically this has caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people as it installs a new service. although im not sure if it appears in the services list. the problem is apple have made the installer badly and so on some machines it either cant install the service (leading to a crash on starting itunes) or a corrupt service which has been know to completly crash the DNS. this is what seems to be happening.
Solution: uninstall itues 5 and wait for 5.1 thats what im doing

RE: RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by kierant on 09-11-2005 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
no itunes 5 is the problem it installs bonjour (previously called rendevous) which allows library transfer over networks or something like that. but basically this has caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people as it installs a new service. although im not sure if it appears in the services list. the problem is apple have made the installer badly and so on some machines it either cant install the service (leading to a crash on starting itunes) or a corrupt service which has been know to completly crash the DNS. this is what seems to be happening.
Solution: uninstall itues 5 and wait for 5.1 thats what im doing

Ok thanks very much. I'm glad it wasn't a problem just for me (in the nicest posiible way) :P
RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by mad_onion on 09-11-2005 at 08:55 PM

lol no thats fine, and it isnt just a few its a lot of people sorry i cant be more helpful with a solution but 5.1 shouldnt be too far away not saying it will solve the problem but if apple cares about its customers it should :)

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by TylerG on 09-12-2005 at 12:11 AM

I am having the same problem.  Uninstalling itunes now to see if it will work then.  Thanks:D

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by Pyroteq on 09-12-2005 at 11:59 AM

my install freezes at "stopping services" and now i cant use itunes at all >.<

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by mad_onion on 09-12-2005 at 06:12 PM

well the install shouldnt say stopping services at all :S

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by King For A Day on 09-12-2005 at 08:24 PM

offtopicly i hate the look of the new itunes its differant and i dont like change

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by paperless on 09-15-2005 at 01:39 AM

This is curious... can you check if you have an nmp.log file in your system32 folder?

RE: RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by kierant on 09-15-2005 at 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
This is curious... can you check if you have an nmp.log file in your system32 folder?

No I don't have that...I have since reverted back to 4.9 so I don't know if that may have deleted it or whatever? What is it?
RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by paperless on 09-15-2005 at 11:17 AM

Thats what i wanted to know lol but as ive had some trouble lately i related Bonjour with that.

RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by Lieter on 09-15-2005 at 11:31 AM

use WinAmp

RE: RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by kierant on 09-15-2005 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lieter
use WinAmp

I use Windows Media Player and I'm happy with that, it's just that I use iTunes to download music and use it for my iPod.
RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection by Pyroteq on 09-15-2005 at 12:40 PM

Many problems i reccomend you do not install it and insted wait for 5.1
my problems

-Crashed upon inserting cd
-Failed installation countless times
-Wouldnt launch at all
-Crashed upon clicking itunes store

alot of people are reporting the same things and it killing thier internet connection.

I refer you to

Here
And here
But in saying that i had to uninstall, then reinstall version 4.4 from my ipod cd and im not very happy about it..if anyone has a copy or knows where to get one of 4.8 or 4.9 please PM me.

Lieter just saying "use winamp" is no help, im sure we all know about winamp, but the fact is Itunes users need it to put music on thier respective ipods and also, they might not like winamp..