Shoutbox

England Cricket Team Wins Ashes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes (/showthread.php?tid=50409)

England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by _Humphreys on 09-12-2005 at 05:38 PM

England regain Ashes as Pietersen defies Warne

LONDON (Reuters) - Kevin Pietersen defied his close friend Shane Warne to score an outrageous maiden test century at The Oval and seal England's first Ashes triumph for almost two decades on Monday.

Pietersen broke Australian hearts as he brushed off three dropped catches, one before he had even scored, to score 158 and ensure a draw on the last day of the weather-affected fifth and final test.

That gave the home team a 2-1 series win.

Six runs ahead after the first innings and resuming their second on 34 for one, England recovered from a top-order collapse to bat out almost the entire day before being dismissed for 335.

The world champions, who had been hoping to set up a run chase in the final session, were left to face less than an over from Steve Harmison, getting to four without loss before accepting both the light and their historic defeat.

The South Africa-born Pietersen was eighth man out, bowled by a Glenn McGrath leg-cutter, but by then he had saved the game.

England cricket fans sing during the last day of the fifth test in the Ashes series in London
view photo

He hit seven sixes and 15 fours, faced 187 balls and batted for four and three-quarter hours, helping to put on 60 for the sixth wicket with Paul Collingwood and 109 for the seventh with Ashley Giles.

Warne produced a mammoth, exhausting performance to take six wickets for 124 to go with his six for 122 in the first innings, but did not get enough support from his team mates.

England's Pietersen is congratulated by Australia's Warne after scoring 158 on the final day of the fifth test of the Ashes series in London
view photo

England battled back after losing the opening test at Lord's by 229 runs. They last won the Ashes in 1986-87, Australia winning a record eight series in a row since.

EVENING SHADOWS

England's Pietersen celebrates his century during the final day of the fifth test of the Ashes series in London
view photo

When Pietersen was finally dismissed, Warne ran over to him to shake his hand as he headed for the pavilion in the evening shadows.

Australia, hoping to set up a run chase in the final session to retain the Ashes, had to bow to the inevitable.

England's Pietersen jumps to avoid a delivery from Australia's Lee on the final day of the fifth test of the Ashes series at The Oval cricket ground i
view photo

Michael Vaughan's side had looked to be tottering towards defeat at lunch as the collective genius of Warne and McGrath reduced them to 127 for five.

Pietersen, however, in his first test series for his adopted country, mixed his unlikely good fortune with extraordinary leg-side shot-making.

England's Pietersen celebrates scoreing a century during the final day of the fifth test of the Ashes series in London
view photo

Refusing to rein back, his audacity during the afternoon had the anxiety-ridden 23,000 capacity crowd singing again.

For Warne, Pietersen's friend and Hampshire team mate and who dropped the easiest chance he offered when on 15, there were few consolations, just a few additions to the record books.

Australia's Warne celebrates after dismissing England's Collingwood on the final day of the fifth test of the Ashes series at The Oval cricket ground
view photo

In his last test in England and one day short of his 36th birthday, the leg spinner completed 40 wickets for the series and 172 in all against his favourite opponents, surpassing the previous Australian record of 167 by Dennis Lillee.

We won Australlia :D t'was a great match.
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Anubis on 09-12-2005 at 05:41 PM

What can I say, its about time :refuck:
But in all fairness, we did have this one in the bag from before the game...the odds were already in our favour, I would have been supprised if the Aussies won. Now I'm waiting for all the POHM flaming that will be coming from the members from the land of teh XXXX!

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Tasha on 09-12-2005 at 05:44 PM

Well done to us, we deserve it, and well done to the Austrailian team too. Their team was good, and they also take defeat very well, and are very fair sportsmen. :) (well, their team is, at least. 8-))

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Plik on 09-12-2005 at 06:02 PM

wewt we finally got it :), These ashes have been great to watch, and england played incredibly well :).
Although i think warne and magrath (sp?) deserve alot of respect for their bowling for the ausies.

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by RaceProUK on 09-12-2005 at 07:19 PM

Someone's been reading too much Douglas Adams :P

All credit to England: the team did look a bit shakey at the start of the second innings, but they outplayed the Aussies overall.

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by fishybobbins on 09-12-2005 at 07:42 PM

And that is why Cricket should be our national sport, not football (soccer).

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Zephyr on 09-12-2005 at 08:08 PM

I watched nearly all of the series and watched this last match in my free periods at school. It was definitely a great series. I'm glad we won after such a long time, but i really thought we had thrown it away this morning when Flintoff went out. I'm really glad he got the man of the series award because he was amazing throughout the series.

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by GiantSpider on 09-12-2005 at 08:18 PM

Actually I wanted Vaughaun to declare at about 4 o'clock to try & win the match but it was not to be. Yesterday was the funniest day of the whole series with people paying £60 & hoping not to see any play at all. It's about time we won we really deserved it. And all I can say about Pietersen is what must the South African board of selectors be thinking?

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by King For A Day on 09-12-2005 at 08:22 PM

ooo i forget to find out lool i hate sport but i was interested in this

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-18-2005 at 03:07 PM

England stands second in test ratings with 119 points  with only Ausies ahead of them (y)

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Negro_Joe on 09-18-2005 at 03:26 PM

I hat cricket, but i <3 love england we RULE....:P

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by jren207 on 09-18-2005 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
I hat cricket, but i <3 love england we RULE....:P

I agree (y) :P
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-19-2005 at 08:59 AM

Climb as much as you want..but remember you have to come down :grin:

* shine remembers Calcutta Test

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by linx05 on 09-19-2005 at 10:36 AM

So next time the Aussies win will we (FINALLY) get to actually take home the Ashes? Or will it always stay in Pommy land?

Good game guys! About time you beat us!!!!!

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-19-2005 at 11:05 AM

TBH England didn't win it, Australia lost it :undecided: no offence...

It took Hayden 10 innings to find out how to play and change his game

Warne made more runs than Martyn and Gilchrist (so why wasn't Martyn dropped?)

Ponting is an effing hopeless captain...i mean come on how many times did he stuff up in the series? It was deplauable.

It took the selectors how many one day internationals and test matches to drop Gillespie? how many? you tell me, because i lost count :rolleyes:

Katitch only played one good innings for the entire series? So why wasn't he dropped?

It was unfortunate that Mcgrath was only fit for one test match (the first)

The only people who can hold their heads up high are Langer and Warne :undecided: They were the only 2 who had their heads screwed on throughout the entire series

Now i'm not taking anything away from England, they had a great series. But come on, what i said above was rediculous. And even if it was the England coaching staff and the players who set up the strategies to get Australia out, why couldn't the Australian players figure out what they were doing and change their game?

I mean how many matches does it take for a player to be out of form and get dropped? :\ The selectors are weak

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-19-2005 at 11:19 AM

YEAH you are right. But remember every team/player/captain has to go through a bad patch.. you cant be no.1 everyday. Remember West Indies. They were like Aussies in late 70's.

Ausies are not using one of their main weapons now a days - 'Sledging' :grin:. That could make a difference.

Finally!

Bring Steve Waugh back as Coach (y) :bow: @ Setve

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-19-2005 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shine
YEAH you are right. But remember every team/player/captain has to go through a bad patch.

Of course, but i mean when so many people are playing bad, you gotta give other people a chance...thats why I dislike the Australian selectors. They have young guys down here, playing so well, for example Cameron White (who can bat and bowl fast spin like Shahid Afridi). They were going on about how they needed another spinner? Well take out Katitch or Martyn and play him!

Jason Gillespie was the first person dropped due to bad form since Micheal Slater for crying out loud!

What are they for? They're job is to select a team that will win and obviousely they aren't doing their jobs

quote:
Ausies are not using one of their main weapons now a days - 'Sledging' :grin:. That could make a difference.

Oh don't worry, Warnie dishes out alot of it :P

quote:
Bring Steve Waugh back as Coach (y) :bow: @ Setve

:banana:

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Rubber Stamp on 09-19-2005 at 12:00 PM

i like cricket (who doesnt here??)
ours is a cricketing nation, India.
hope they start winning again.

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-20-2005 at 07:25 AM

YES OMG

Martyn has been dropped for the up coming Super Series Test (Australia Vs The World)

FINALLY they swing the axe :dodgy:

Hayden has also been put on notice =O

I don't know why Katich wasn't put on notice :dodgy:

Australia better find another quality fast bowler soon...because Tait and Lee just can't play in the same side together. ESPECIALLY the one dayers. Kasprowicz just doesn't cut the mustard and Gillespie is finished.

Bring back Warne for the one dayers :bow: Hogg sux ¬¬

Edit:

Hayden was dropped from the one day internationals and is playing the tests
Martyn was dropped from the tests and is playing the one day internationals

James Hopes (all rounder)
Nathan Bracken (Left Arm Around the wicket Fast Bowler)
Shane Watson (all arounder)
Stuart Macgill (leg spinner)
Brad Hodge (batsman)

Have all been added to the squad to take on The World. Alot of young talent in there, lets hope they show us their best :)

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-20-2005 at 08:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by beamykitty
Warne was the death of us ..~!loose morals..and sms's

O_o Warne is the reason why Australia was so strong for so many years. He's the reason why we didn't loose the Ashes 0 - 5. Putting his private life aside, he's probably one of the best cricketers you'll ever see play the game. It has nothing to do with the game he plays.
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-20-2005 at 11:03 AM

Yes Warnie is best (y) (only in spinning dept. though :grin: and he can bat a bit too) But never did well with Indians :grin:

Had his debut aganist India and I remember he was hit out of the park by the Indians and He was dropped from the team. Then he came back with his unbelievable spinning magic. Donno why he never did well in India were every picth supports spin.

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-20-2005 at 11:28 AM

quote:
249 runs and 40 wickets is his best ever but unfortunately it wasn't good enough at the end of the day~s~

So why would you blame the best player on a team for losing :undecided:? that makes no sence what-so-ever

quote:
Had his debut aganist India and I remember he was hit out of the park by the Indians and He was dropped from the team. Then he came back with his unbelievable spinning magic. Donno why he never did well in India were every picth supports spin.

Very true about the spin factor, but don't forget in India, most of their bowlers are spinners, so naturally, they know how to play spin.

Unlike in England. Their pithces suit the fast bowlers, and spinners are rare up there. Thats why they struggle against Warne in England. I mean all you have to do is look at Ashley Giles to understand why they can't play spin...he can't even spin the ball 8-)
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-20-2005 at 12:56 PM

Right but no one in India Spins the ball as much as warnie does...but even warnie cannot spin the ball as much when he comes to Subcontinent (India/Pakistan/Srilanka)

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by mwe99 on 09-20-2005 at 01:20 PM

JJ Just accept you lost :P we should have had a bet and i would have been rich! :dances:

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-21-2005 at 05:54 AM

quote:
Right but no one in India Spins the ball as much as warnie does...but even warnie cannot spin the ball as much when he comes to Subcontinent (India/Pakistan/Srilanka)

Yeh it's interesting...

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
JJ Just accept you lost :P we should have had a bet and i would have been rich! :dances:

I'm not stupid enough to bet

Yeh, we lost :P i've accepted it, but the manner in which we lost was pathetic

Australia is still #1 though 8-)

quote:
I just dont Like shane warne...excuse my opinions~s~

Fair enough
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Chestah on 09-21-2005 at 07:15 AM

quote:
Warne was the death of us ..~!loose morals..and sms's

Shane Warne is a legend, how dare you make comments about him when you don't even personally know him :P

You can't defy the logic that Shane Warne is the greatest bowler ever to live and easily the best spinner :P

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99

JJ Just accept you lost we should have had a bet and i would have been rich! ances:
:dodgy:
Celebrate it while you can, there has been a reason why England hasn't one the ashes (cricket a sport THEY invented) for over a decade.. and thats because you guys suck at cricket :P

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Pinchichuv on 09-21-2005 at 07:21 AM

where in mexico we dont play cricket, and tbh i dont understand it, i preffer polo than cricket :P

but congrants to the England team

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Pipish on 09-21-2005 at 08:15 AM

lol stfu first time in 18 years haha Australia played crap but are the best in the world it was a well deserved win for england thogh :) good on them

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-21-2005 at 09:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Celebrate it while you can, there has been a reason why England hasn't one the ashes (cricket a sport THEY invented) for over a decade.. and thats because you guys suck at cricket :P

:lol: Chestah <3

Let them be like that =P You know they have to throw a party when they beat us in ANY sport. Its because its a rare occasion when they beat us ;) (a)
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Chestah on 09-21-2005 at 09:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
lol stfu first time in 18 years haha Australia played crap but are the best in the world it was a well deserved win for england thogh :) good on them

Couldn't have put it better myself, i personally liked the bit where you said "stfu" :P
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-21-2005 at 10:38 AM

hehe Ausies Played below par and England did a birdie ...if I would have like Golf :grin:

India is playing Zimbabwe right now ..are 247/4 after bowling out ZIM on 161 :banana:  Gambir missed century by 3 runs :p and Dravid THE WALL is on 73 ..Player of the Year (y)

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-21-2005 at 10:42 AM

Breaking Cricket News: Sachin Tendulkar will not be playing in next months Super Series against Australia

:sad: dammit...i wanna see all of the champs play together

I wonder who they'll replace him with...

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-21-2005 at 10:52 AM

Lucky other teams :grin:

Even I wanted him there in Super Six.. Blah Tennis Elbow ..What a bad way to sit out .. Poor  Sachin :(

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by John Anderton on 09-21-2005 at 04:58 PM

One of only 2 series' that i would have left soccer for. Except the 1st test all others were nail bighters ;)
Well done england :)
:clap:
:bow:

quote:
Originally posted by Third Dimension
Breaking Cricket News: Sachin Tendulkar will not be playing in next months Super Series against Australia

:sad: dammit...i wanna see all of the champs play together

I wonder who they'll replace him with...
I am an indian and i say that its good that he aint playing cause he aint that good anymore :-/ He was great but now he's not. I hate it when he reaches 90+ and starts playing like a snail so that he can survive and get a 100 :dodgy: Play your normal game damn it :blah: I do agree that on class he deserves to be there but the team is supposed to be the best players in the past 2 years (super test is once in 2 yrs i think .... what ever the term is ... thats the time to be considered ..... hence forth atleast cause the last super test was about 20 - 30 yrs back :P)
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Tasha on 09-21-2005 at 05:10 PM

Sheesh, you Aussies are sore losers... :-/ I remember in my first post on this thread, I congratulated your team for playing well, but you don't wanna congratulate us or our team for winning. Jeez. :-/

Not trying to start an arguement btw.

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Chestah on 09-22-2005 at 01:59 AM

Yeah, Warne isn't really the ideal Australian icon :P, but you weren't refferring to that you said "Warne was the death of us ..~!loose morals..and sms's". I really don't see how Warne's smses affected how we played, in my opinon Warney was the best player on the field :P.

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Sheesh, you Aussies are sore losers... I remember in my first post on this thread, I congratulated your team for playing well, but you don't wanna congratulate us or our team for winning. Jeez.

Not trying to start an arguement btw.
we are joking tasha :P! Good on England for winning, they played well and i can't wait until we get back into form and beat them again for another 10 or so years :P
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Blair on 09-22-2005 at 07:34 AM

LOL, Aus lost cricket and tri nations and the bledisloe cup! this is great, im a kiwi living in aus, so much fun teasing them! finally some revenge. who sucks now:P

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-22-2005 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Blair
LOL, Aus lost cricket and tri nations and the bledisloe cup! this is great, im a kiwi living in aus, so much fun teasing them! finally some revenge. who sucks now:P

Nice to be winning a sport for once isn't it 8-)

It's funny because Australia dominate in alot of sports, now all of a sudden we're losing a bit and now all the other countries wanna party :P
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Blair on 09-22-2005 at 08:06 AM

lol, aus has the least faith. everyone where i live thinks that aus is now shit, after losing for such a small amout of time... have some faith, mabye you'll start winning again in another 20 years;)

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by J.J on 09-22-2005 at 08:32 AM

quote:
lol, aus has the least faith. everyone where i live thinks that aus is now shit, after losing for such a small amout of time... have some faith, mabye you'll start winning again in another 20 years;)

The cricket team will be back soon...the people we have playing here for the ING cup and the Pura cup are really good...people will soon see. Everyone said Australia was finished when we lost to India in India a few years ago...all they did was change a few of their out of form players and they won the world cup.

I guarantee Australia will be back up there soon...
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-22-2005 at 08:40 AM

Jhon Anderton :blah:

:grin: Thats a typical Indian behaviour.

Sachin is a Great Player and will be a great player.. Both on and OFF the field (Unlike Shame Warne :tongue: j/k No matter Warnie has a good behavior in field)  Sachin inspite of injuries that bothered him he played well for India. Just becasue he cannot play now, you should not kick him away..

Warne is 'God's gift to cricket' - Tendulkar : September 22, 2005

Shane Warne's genius has evoked high praise from Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar has praised Shane Warne by calling him `God's gift to cricket'. He has also predicted that Australia would retain their superpower status even after their current ageing crop of players retire. ......more........

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Chestah on 09-22-2005 at 09:49 AM

quote:

ahem.. :P I think you mean you'll start winning in about 20 years time again for possibly a day or two and infact i think your completely correct :P.

quote:
LOL, Aus lost cricket and tri nations and the bledisloe cup! this is great, im a kiwi living in aus, so much fun teasing them! finally some revenge. who sucks now

Pfft, i went to NZ a few months ago, they obviously know they suck compared to us because they have shirts everywhere written on them "my dad said i could do anything, except play for australia". I was like Oh my god...
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-22-2005 at 09:55 AM

:lol:  Some one in NZ wheo really dont like the selectors!

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by Blair on 09-22-2005 at 09:58 AM

the shirts refer to the fact that its shameful to play for australia...?^o)

these losses will alow australia to freshen their teams... hopefully with new players emerging... look on the bright side:P

RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by John Anderton on 09-22-2005 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Jhon Anderton :blah:

:grin: Thats a typical Indian behaviour.

Sachin is a Great Player and will be a great player.. Both on and OFF the field (Unlike Shame Warne :tongue: j/k No matter Warnie has a good behavior in field)  Sachin inspite of injuries that bothered him he played well for India. Just becasue he cannot play now, you should not kick him away..

Warne is 'God's gift to cricket' - Tendulkar : September 22, 2005

Shane Warne's genius has evoked high praise from Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar has praised Shane Warne by calling him `God's gift to cricket'. He has also predicted that Australia would retain their superpower status even after their current ageing crop of players retire. ......more........
I never disagreed :refuck:

I just said that if the consideration is current form (a yr or 2 is in consideration) then he doesnt deserve to make it .... dont get me wrong i love the way he plays when he is socring fluently ... who doesnt but the super series isnt an all time great team its supposed to be the best players at that time .... well he doesnt make my list.
If the criteria is making the best all time team (ie considering entire careers of ppl still playing) then he should be on the top ;)

My 2 fav players of the series are freddy and warne :D I dont care what he does off the field. He destroys the opponent and its fun to see the way he tricks ppl (even tho it mabbe my team on the recieving end :dodgy:; then i dont like it that much but i applaud it none the less ;)) (I still love the match where sachin sweeped warne over mid wicket for 2 sixes and a four :rolleyes:)

Freddy and harmison really bowled well :clap:

:bow: England Cricket Team :bow:
RE: England Cricket Team Wins Ashes by shine on 09-22-2005 at 12:23 PM

India white washed ZIm's 2-0

Phew! At last an away series win.. A whitewash after 19 years ( sheer coincidence thay need 19 run to win the match :dodgy: )