Shoutbox

Icon sorter - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Icon sorter (/showthread.php?tid=50444)

Icon sorter by booboo on 09-13-2005 at 03:52 PM

Hi,
I no I'm new but could you help me with a question please?
My auntie who isn't to good on a computer wants her icons sorted but in like boxes.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=534623]
But fancyer, I just thought you might no.
Thanks in advance
booboo

RE: Icon sorter by M73A on 09-13-2005 at 03:57 PM

jus photoshop the background images with boxes.... untick auto arrange icons... place them where u like.... done!

RE: Icon sorter by Anubis on 09-13-2005 at 04:01 PM

I don't know of any software that can do this, but I do know of a workaround. Take your desktop background image and open it in paint (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint). Here add boxes around the areas you want icons to be placed, and then save the image. When the image is saved set it as your desktop background image and then delete the file you just created.
On your desktop right click and select Arrange icons by, and make sure only align to grid and show desktop icons are selected. Now move the icons to the corresponding boxes you made in paint and then have as your desktop background.

The Windows API (in XP) does allow you to create objects that would resemble boxes all over your desktop, that you could be able to set up and place icons on. However you would need to program something like this, there may be a program that already does this, but I can't find any.

RE: Icon sorter by paperless on 09-13-2005 at 04:04 PM

Do what M73A said but TBH it isnt worth the hassle, i mean you will have to do it with all the wallpapers just coz of.. that?

RE: Icon sorter by booboo on 09-13-2005 at 04:04 PM

Ok thanks everyone.
It's pretty amazing how quick you reply\!

RE: Icon sorter by paperless on 09-13-2005 at 04:05 PM

Helping Msgplus members is our motto :P

RE: Icon sorter by M73A on 09-13-2005 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
Do what M73A said but TBH it isnt worth the hassle, i mean you will have to do it with all the wallpapers just coz of.. that?

do it in photoshop. but the boxes on a new layer, and change the background image to save you hassle maybe? but then again thats if you can be bothered.
RE: Icon sorter by Anubis on 09-13-2005 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
do it in photoshop. but the boxes on a new layer, and change the background image to save you hassle maybe? but then again thats if you can be bothered.
How do you know if they have photoshop though, not everyone does, however more people have paint.
RE: Icon sorter by booboo on 09-13-2005 at 04:46 PM

No I dont have photoshop and I'm not planning on downloading it!

RE: Icon sorter by RaceProUK on 09-13-2005 at 05:17 PM

You can't really download Photoshop, unless it's a trial or a cracked version. However, I'd be tempted to write a program to do this.

I'm a programmer, OK? :P

Edit: Actually, after all, the desktop is one massive ListView control... and they can be split into working areas.

RE: Icon sorter by booboo on 09-13-2005 at 05:27 PM

Wow your a programmer!
And could you make one that does what I'd like?
I'd be so grateful if you could!

RE: Icon sorter by RaceProUK on 09-13-2005 at 08:50 PM

I would do, but I'm too busy trying to get Phoenix working fully with Messenger 7.5 and Plus! 3.60.
Plus I've got to sort out a tax return, stuff for my return to uni, and then I've got anothe rplugin I've started already.

RE: Icon sorter by booboo on 09-14-2005 at 06:13 PM

So if you do, do it what time do you reckon it will be finished.
I'm not forcing you,

RE: Icon sorter by RaceProUK on 09-14-2005 at 06:48 PM

No idea when I could devote time to it I'm afraid. However, this forum has more than it's fair share of programmers - I'm sure someone can be persuaded.