Shoutbox

[Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum (/showthread.php?tid=50548)

[Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Stigmata on 09-15-2005 at 07:41 PM

The topic of conversation was changed in the thread about Johnny Leaving. It turned to how this forum has changed for the worse. Some of us have expressed our opinions, and i wonder if there are any others that also want to speak out. I would ask that you treat everyones opinion with respect, and if you disagree, please back it up with a decent reason.

Original Thread:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=50454&page=4

Here are a collection of responces from the original thread for your ease.

Proxy:

quote:
None of the forum staff want to ignolage it, because the cause if it are members that they are friends with, plus some of the staff are the cause also.
&
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Although, what is in the hands of all of us, is trying to make the changes be towards positive, not negative...
When we try, we get ganged up on, or flamed. 
quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Things change. Forum communities change. It is inevitable, so I think it's kinda fruitless to point a finger at change itself.
No offence, but your wrong.  This kind of change doesn't just happen.  Yes things do change but when I look at what is happening, I don't like the outcome.  It makes me very sad, because I care about this community, and the members, but I don't know what to do or how to change it.  It cant be done by the members that see the problem and are tired of it.  It's in the hands of the forum staff and the problem makers.

Joa:
quote:
i know i'm not an old member, but lately i feel it too... it's kinda depressing. it's like the spirit of this community is slowly disintegrating. some examples are that - if there are even arguments or whatever, they get really personal, people take some things way too seriously, more often people gang up on like one person who does a little thing wrong.

tempers are short... blah.
there's so much stuff....... like i said, i'm a newb compared to most of the members here. but i feel the change too. it's hard to explain WHAT exactly is happening, but there is something.

just the whole mood of the forums has changed..

Leo:
quote:
Anyway, I agree with proxy. I notice that lately I try to stay out of certain threads because I get the feeling that my opinions will trigger a wave of flames and attacks that I don't really have the time or strength to read.

And it's sad to think that some people might be doing the same. Holding back because you think people will take things personally. :-/

I don't blame anyone in particular, I think we're all responsible. Over the year I've been around, I've seen these negative periods (which I call "bad waves" :tongue:), although this time it's more obvious.

I admit I also took part of a lot of these so-called waves. Trying to change that because this is the first community I fit in so well... At least I think so... Didn't make any friends, but did meet interesting people who I share stuff with.

It'd be sad if all this ends because of pride and selfishness... :-/

Wish I could write more, there were a lot of things I had to say but I have to go, grandparents are waiting for me. If I come back home early I'll reply again (if I didn't get flamed to death :tongue:).

Kuddos, I hope no-one gets offended by this. :bow:

FrozenDaggers:
quote:
Guess it could be moderated a bit more, like by not letting personal feelings to someone else get in the way of people posting topics about things they want to talk about or share ideas about. If you don't like the person leave it... don't spam the thread with abuse, or if you dont agree with what the persons saying, don't get nasty about it.

Haz:
quote:
Things change. Forum communities change. It is inevitable, so I think it's kinda fruitless to point a finger at change itself.

Although, what is in the hands of all of us, is trying to make the changes be towards positive, not negative...

Myself:
quote:
How there are celebrities of the forum. How people gang up on others. How some treat new members with complete disregard. How staff has favourites and sometimes take bias decisions.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Plik on 09-15-2005 at 07:49 PM

I think that this forum is in a bit of a rut at the moment, but this has happened before.
I also think that people are blaming the admins way to much for this, its 90% members causeing the problems, and the admins overall to a great job on the forums.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Millenium_edition on 09-15-2005 at 07:51 PM

seriously, i think it must be the change of weather or something :-/
three people i know (including me) are depressed, all at the same time... tingeling it's school time and tingeling it's almost not summer anymore

nobody seems to smile or anything, and that includes me

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by _Humphreys on 09-15-2005 at 07:59 PM

I dno I think it's the lack of people posting here at the mo. I think it'll pick up and people will start acting responsable again.

The only problem I can see is that the lack of modding... I mean not one of my last 30 posts has went into the trash like it normally does. :/

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Pr0xY on 09-15-2005 at 08:00 PM

First off, good idea Stigmata.  :)

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
What a shame.
The real shame is how no one is realizing why so many of our members are leaving.  The attitude of the forums has changed, for the worse.  These forum are dying, in a way I never thought they would. 

I'd rather have the spam problem then this.  Good luck to all who stay and put up with it.  :wave:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
None of the forum staff want to acknowledge it, because the cause if it are members that they are friends with, plus some of the staff are the cause also.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Haz
When we try, we get ganged up on, or flamed. 
quote:
Originally posted by Haz
No offence, but your wrong.  This kind of change doesn't just happen.  Yes things do change but when I look at what is happening, I don't like the outcome.  It makes me very sad, because I care about this community, and the members, but I don't know what to do or how to change it.  It cant be done by the members that see the problem and are tired of it.  It's in the hands of the forum staff and the problem makers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
There is everything I posted in the other thread.  I posted it here because that thread wasn't the place for it, this it though. 

:)

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
people will start acting responsable again.
Hopefully.  Responsability & Respect are the two key issues here.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Anubis on 09-15-2005 at 08:09 PM

The forum doesn't seem too bad at the moment; I'll admit older members do seem to get more status and respect from other members than newer members however a way to look on this is that the member must prove themselves before they gain everyone is respect.
I don't like to insult newer members; if they post incorrect facts\advice, there's no need to flame them, just correct them and sure enough they will turn into active, helpful, and great members.

The big problem I find is that some members don't actually care about helping newer ones, they care too much about rushing in to help people without actually laying out their posts, which is very hard for less computer talented people to understand. They get so wound up in trying to look like a good helper that they post stuff that isn't properly researched and stuff less computer talented people won't be able to follow.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by RaceProUK on 09-15-2005 at 08:52 PM

I agree with Anubis. The forum's aren't in a rut, and they're just like any other large forum - a bit rough around the edges.
What really matters is the core of the community, the glue that holds it all together. Everyone in this thread (and many more besides) are part of that glue, and we should all be proud of our own achievements, proud that we are useful people to have around.

As usual, it's the few who spoil it for the many. I won't name names (because, honestly, I can't think of a member that bad), but those who don't share the spirit end up losing out in the end.

I can guarantee to everyone on this forum - I'm here for the long haul. 'Till death parts us' sort of thing.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Plik on 09-15-2005 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
The big problem I find is that some members don't actually care about helping newer ones, they care too much about rushing in to help people without actually laying out their posts, which is very hard for less computer talented people to understand.

The other problem with this is while your taking the time to write out a clear and informative post, about 3 people have posted rushed, dodgy and sometimes incorrect information which you would have to correct which is annoying and quite often you lose the effort to bother (which iirc was the basis of the whole cookie leaving thing a while ago)
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ShawnZ on 09-15-2005 at 09:10 PM

If you guys don't like some members of the IRC community because we act differently, its because IRC has different rules. On IRC we just get rid of people right away if they're annoying or if they spam and no one cares. On these forums, everyone HAS to be respected ALL the time, even if we don't like people. Its the (lack of) rules on IRC that make it a more enjoyable place than the forums, and we all know how to control ourselves enough that it doesn't go to shit all the time even though our rules are more bare than on the forums.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by wj on 09-15-2005 at 09:15 PM

I've recomend some action items to the staff. But Heres a question, List it out, what you would do to fix the problem.

And in response to Shawnz, Look at the volume of people that come through the forums, then look at the volume of people who go through IRC. Theres a huge difference. And IRC more often then not has ALOT more technically savy users so alot of n00b's dont end up there as often. Beyond that, It's a chat room, Not a forum.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Pr0xY on 09-15-2005 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
If you guys don't like some members of the IRC community because we act differently, its because IRC has different rules
Blah! I dont like it because they dont follow all the fules on IRC.

quote:
Its the (lack of) rules on IRC that make it a more enjoyable place than the forums
No, the lack of rules makes it so crazy.  The lack of rules makes it so you can all gang up on people when they try to talk to one person about a problem.  Then you piss that person off by what you say, then kick/ban them when they respond in the same manner (immature). 

quote:
we all know how to control ourselves enough that it doesn't go to shit all the time even though our rules are more bare than on the forums
Rofl....

Knowing and Doing are two different things. 

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ShawnZ on 09-15-2005 at 09:27 PM

quote:
No, the lack of rules makes it so crazy.  The lack of rules makes it so you can all gang up on people when they try to talk to one person about a problem.  Then you piss that person off by what you say, then kick/ban them when they respond in the same manner (immature). 

Because no one likes that person. Once they have left everything is at peace again.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Pr0xY on 09-15-2005 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Because no one likes that person. Once they have left everything is at peace again.
Thats the problem.  If you don't like someone, or want to tell them that (dont know why), do it nicely, and not in the main channel.  Use /notice or /msg. If you make your opinions public, then it goes crazy cause on IRC everyone feels the need to voice their opinion about a conversation they were never ment to be a part of.  And if it is kept private, you make it public later on, posting the logs, and then ganging up on the person. 

Dont say it doesn't happen either.  I've seen it & esperienced it.  It sure doesn't make the person feel all happy inside, weather their opinions were right or wrong in the first place. 
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Sunshine on 09-15-2005 at 10:12 PM

Aren't we going offtopic here? Is this about forums or irc? You really can't compare the two.

Forums - everything's in writing...reply taking your time
IRC support chan - real time support...fast responces/solutions needed (good ones).

And no there are no fights in the supportchan...if there is, a chanop or ircop will take care of it...if there are arguments it's in the chatchan, that chan has less rules..you can't prevent arguments from happening inthere..it's life. It's easier to not post if you feel offended onhere than it is to walk away on irc.

Being a good helper (quick, good help, not loosing patience...staying friendly) on irc is a hell of a lot tougher than it is to be a good one onhere.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Ash_ on 09-15-2005 at 10:27 PM

you can't just allow a whole lot of people to get to know each other and to talk and hope it works, because it won't. on the internet people feel like they are in a position of power, if owning a newb makes them feel that way even more, im sure they will do it. Although i don't agree with some of the decisions made by the forum staff, don't say they're not doing their job. With the number of threads, members and posts on this forum it's alot of work (and they don't even get paid :refuck:). we only have ourselves to blame for what we've done, we were the role models. we showed bad examples and this is the way things turned out.

now excuse me but im going to play World of Warcraft :refuck: :P,

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Lou on 09-15-2005 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
It's easier to not post if you feel offended onhere than it is to walk away on irc.
That is the main reason that alot oif members do not go on irc. The first two times I went I was abused, insulted, abused some more, banned/kicked for just saying hi. They didn't want a new person there, so they it seem like the person said/did something offending. Sure it's not in the support chan. But alot of people go on the chat chans..and then leave because they were abused of or banned.

And on the subject of admins and mods...

They do a great job but do have favourites unfourtunately. And they take decisions based on their favourites. For example, I was banned once because I spammed a bit. Sure that is acceptable. However I was also told that it was because I asked to be a beta tester, which I never did. It was someone who posted before me, and I took the blame. And the admins/mods don't seem to like me anymore because of this. Sure some probably don't even care, but there are some like mnjul who seem to not like me.

We however played a big part if this forum. And if its broken up, it won't be because of a specific person. Its everyone.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by RebelSean on 09-15-2005 at 10:39 PM

This is simply my view of the current forum.

Things that I think need improvement or changes:

Reputation system - We should have a report reputation button next to the reputations, the only catch would be that the person who got the reputation should not be able to report his/her own reps. As for, if they got a negative for say spamming, they would report it and would just fill the report system with stupid reports. What would be the outcome or positive from it? Well, IMO it would stop people from abusing the system. Also, while I'm on about the reputation system, I think there should be more bans given out to those who abuse it. The only person who, AFAIK, that is banned from giving reputations would be Toddy.

Staff wise: IMHO, I think there should be LOCAL mods. People (Elites) should be given the oportunity to moderate certain forums. I know there are a small number of forums, but I do think that putting local mods would reduce the spam. And I see spam all the time, like today, 4 people said the SAME thing in a thread. That should not be allowed, and I remember back in the day if you confirmed or said things that had already been stated you got trolled.

More bans: I think the current system is fine, but when you see the SAME people getting banned weekly I do believe that is very dodgy. IICRC, I thought that people were going to be permanantly banned after like 5 bans? I may not be right, but I though Chris Boulton said that before. Also, I do believe that 1 day bans have got to be longer, because the people who are getting 1 day bans are just coming back doing the same crap as they did before.

Testing & Trashing: I think there should be set guidelines on what is allowed to be posted there. The current posts and threads are 99% useless, but I know the forum is there for people to spam. But when people go in topics and just go "HI" or  post one emoticon, it gets annoying, examples are there you just have to look.

Note: Yes my grammar is probably not 100% correctly and I don't care. So do not go offtopic with the grammar crap and/or posting stupid url's to grammar crap.

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:
It's easier to not post if you feel offended onhere than it is to walk away on irc.
That is the main reason that alot oif members do not go on irc. The first two times I went I was abused, insulted, abused some more, banned/kicked for just saying hi. They didn't want a new person there, so they it seem like the person said/did something offending. Sure it's not in the support chan. But alot of people go on the chat chans..and then leave because they were abused of or banned.

I'm not trying to speak on behalf of the IRC channel, but I'm sure EvilSeph will agree with me on here. Yes, that is the way it was. Alot has been changing, EvilSeph & Underlord have been removing access to those who abuse. I assure you, if you get insulted by anyone they will be kicked or banned. It's been like that for a long time now, abuse wise that is.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ddunk on 09-15-2005 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Note: Yes my grammar is probably not 100% correctly and I don't care. So do not go offtopic with the grammar crap and/or posting stupid url's to grammar crap.

Actually, your grammar was pretty good there, nothing that I caught without re-reading the post. :p

About IRC: Got a problem with us? Don't bring it to the forums, keep the two seperate, let the forums deal with their shit and let us deal with ours. If you don't really want to come there because you're afraid of the magical monster that says we chew out and kickban everyone who joins, PM an Op on the forums (Me, segosa, EvilSeph, Time, Chris Boulton, Dane, etc.)
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by emit on 09-15-2005 at 11:10 PM

Rules on IRC are kind of inane. IRC is about mutual respect and not being a lamer. You can't govern IRC with rules for every petty little action. Read bash.org - notice the lack of respect for race, culture and anything in between in half of the quotes. Just as everywhere else respect is earnt on IRC; mostly by spending lots of time active, by hanging around channels for a long time; people soon learn that you are knowledgeable and not a lamer. In one channel I am in 80% of the members are ops and we all mutually respect each other's knowledge of IRC and general IRC behaviour - we're all veterans with experience - you work out 80% of 200 people. If you prove clueless or say stupid things then you are quickly removed. That's how IRC works.

Read about it: http://chowned.org/irc-guide.txt

Edit: This little tidbit from a ToS on a website that offers shell services for connecting to IRC sums up perfectly the ethic with which everyone should approach IRC:

quote:
"The good news:  We're not anal.  You can use your shell however you like as long as it doesn't disrupt other corp users, consume an abnormal amount of system resources or bandwidth, break irc rules, attract packets, isn't illegal or doesn't violate the generally accepted code of online ethics.  In other words, don't be a retarded lamer.

The bad news: Corp shells are for mature and clueful individuals who know how to behave.  If you're generally hated, have a tendency to attract negative attention, or are abusive on irc, then this isn't the place for you. Corp is a stable server for irc clients, bots, and bnc's.   We don't have a lot of stupid rules, but the general rule of common sense applies.  This means respect and show some courtesy to your fellow Corp users; don't ruin it for everyone.  Any form of abuse (or generally any form of stupidity) is not tolerated and dealt with swiftly.  We reserve the right to remove your account for any reason at any time. If your account is terminated, don't hold your breath expecting a refund, we don't have time to play games. "

The site is run by one of the most influential people on IRC, a long time admin on one of the biggest and oldest networks. His opinion is pretty much the way to go. He also wrote the irc-guide above.

Of course, like Ddunk said: if you want to get a point across about IRC - PM an op on the forums, or just talk to them on msn. We aren't inhuman or even scary. C'mon, am I really scary?! Seriously - we do listen and we do know that even people in a position of power on IRC can be lamers too.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Lou on 09-15-2005 at 11:29 PM

quote:
Yes, that is the way it was
true. It has changed alot.
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
Got a problem with us? Don't bring it to the forums, keep the two seperate
Is it really like that? The irc is run in a way for the same community. If you don't want us brining us issues on the forums about it, is it really because it annoys you? or because you can't just click block and pretend the person isn't telling everyone else the truth. Please do not take this personally. But everytime irc is brought up on here the people that are on there often always tell everyone to shut up. Maybe there is a problem. Sure its different than the community and therefore should be treated differently. But I think that issues can not always be resolved via pm. People may ignore them. As for msn, that can be an even bigger problem. You can't get a hold of the email address of someone that really really hates you, to tell them to stop it please. Do you really think that it's a good idea?
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Pr0xY on 09-16-2005 at 12:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
About IRC: Got a problem with us? Don't bring it to the forums, keep the two seperate, let the forums deal with their shit and let us deal with ours. If you don't really want to come there because you're afraid of the magical monster that says we chew out and kickban everyone who joins, PM an Op on the forums (Me, segosa, EvilSeph, Time, Chris Boulton, Dane, etc.)
Its kind of hard to report abuse to the people who do the abusing. 

I was on my last straw, Ddunk, Segosa, Shawnz, & FrozzenDaggers, and you all did something I never thought you would.  I have lost all respect for you. I still cant believe you all could say and do such a thing.  You put me in a horrible mood, ruined my day, which in turn made my school class a really hard. 

I'm taking a brake from this forum, and the IRC chat channels.  See ya around. GoodBye...

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ddunk on 09-16-2005 at 12:25 AM

quote:

Is it really like that? The irc is run in a way for the same community. If you don't want us brining us issues on the forums about it, is it really because it annoys you? or because you can't just click block and pretend the person isn't telling everyone else the truth. Please do not take this personally. But everytime irc is brought up on here the people that are on there often always tell everyone to shut up. Maybe there is a problem. Sure its different than the community and therefore should be treated differently. But I think that issues can not always be resolved via pm. People may ignore them. As for msn, that can be an even bigger problem. You can't get a hold of the email address of someone that really really hates you, to tell them to stop it please. Do you really think that it's a good idea?

Or maybe we just don't want our shit flooding onto the forums? I doubt the admins care about it either. If you seriously have a problem with us, talk to us, don't come bitch on the forums about it.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Wabz on 09-16-2005 at 12:52 AM

Look guys being a member of these forums with a fair few amount of posts, and an oper on the irc forums.  I think I have a fairly reasonable view of what goes on in both.

Forums are ran by a team of what I'd call excellent Administrators and Moderators, they are very fair and put up with a lot of shit big forum mods and admins normally don't.  So don't whine or moan when something goes wrong, Dz and Surfi are normally on the ball and aware of most problems with users as they happen.  People argue people disagree but not much can really go wrong with the boards with the average user here.

IRC is in my opinion a completly different ballgame.   I learnt from the very basics in #msgplus.  I have moved across something like 5 servers to the support channels current home.  I have learnt a lot about people and the way IRC must work to be some sort of sane community.  Best real way to think of it is a channel is a classroom.  Operators are teachers and users are pupils.  Now most rules of human interaction are exactly the same.  Take for example I'm helping one user/pupil and you interupt with SHOUTING  I'm going to kick you in the channel, or tell you to sit down and shutup in a classroom.  Theres no difference.  Carry on and I'll send you outside my room.  Which would be similar to a kickban.  (Sorry if this is confusing but I'm trying to make it clear as possible).

Both are very different.  Sorry if I mumbled.  or Whatever but I'm tired and I jsut wanted to clear this up.

Feel free to contact myself if you have problems on IRC and I'll attempt to do my best.  I'm sure other opers would do the same. 

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by L. Coyote on 09-16-2005 at 01:11 AM

About IRC:
It was stated a LOT of times that IRC and the forums aren't the same. It doesn't matter if they're for MsgPlus! or for whatever they are, IRC issues and Forum issues are to be handled separately.

Now, this thread has become IRC-related, which is the opposite of its purpose. :-/

To be honest, you don't require to be a great person to go to IRC. I'm an idiot who never does anything on IRC but to put smilies and whatnot, and never got banned or treated bad. So, maybe you could try a different approach.

About behavior:
Anyway, the forums might not be crumbling down or anything like that, but the air is different. I don't think it's because of the admins or what they do. It's easier to blame the people with more "forum age" and power (like with everything), but they're just a few.

The real issue is the whole community. I don't mean it's anything bad, it's just that the world is going through a lot of issues and it reflects on us. Our different opinions and tastes clash, and with time it generates anger against other members.

It's human, so I don't think we can do anything about it. Maybe calm down a little, but tell that to the dozens of people who post daily (regulars, I mean). :tongue:

About some phrases and my thoughts on them:
You don't need to have the last word in every single debate.
This reminds me that if two members are the type to have the last word at everything, if they clash, it's a never-ending, eventual, flame war.

If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything.
We did have a debate over this phrase. :tongue: It doesn't mean to suck up or take it literally. It simply means that sometimes, it's best to keep your mouth shut. Not only because it may hurt the other person, but because you might also get hurt.

Words are words. Be mature.
How much harm can a comment cause the member I'm talking to? If I tell him/her: "you're an idiot!", how will they react? Do I know this person enough to joke and be understood? These are basic questions you should make yourself before posting something, anything.

You might not care at all about what others tell you, but remember, not everyone is like you. Some people take things seriously, and it's something to consider. After all, if you do it with your family, friends and ocassional strangers, why not respect people's feelings on the Internet?

Agree to disagree.
What is the point of keeping a discussion if things are starting to get personal? The solution is not carrying it on until one of you gets banned or hurt, but to leave it at that and move on. Opinions are that, personal thoughts that might or not be changed, but debates are not to force changes, but to open minds.

About helping:
But, seriously, we could learn to tolerate each other. This is a support forum, mainly. Which, reminds me of what someone else posted: some people think there's a race to see who helps the most people in one second.

Don't get me wrong, they seem to have the best intentions, but when replying you can't understand a thing of what they're saying because they must have been typing in a rush. This confuses the person who comes here for the help and help only.

About rules:
The rules and guidelines are all over the place, maybe some people should read them again. It would really ease up a lot of work. I know I ocassionally slip, like anyone else, but some make these slippings part of their everyday forum experience... :-/

Anyway, that's kind of what I had to say today... Feel free to PM me or something. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I like the forums and will stick around a lot more, no matter what others say. :)

:wave: <--- off to sleep

PS: to think traxor is missing all this!
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ShawnZ on 09-16-2005 at 01:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
IRC is about mutual respect and not being a lamer.
Just as everywhere else respect is earnt on IRC; mostly by spending lots of time active, by hanging around channels for a long time; people soon learn that you are knowledgeable and not a lamer.
If you prove clueless or say stupid things then you are quickly removed. That's how IRC works.

Exactly. At the beginning of the year when I first started regularly joining IRC, everyone pretty much hated/ignored me. But I kept coming and ignoring everyones criticism and eventually I got noticed, and now i'm ``ShawnZ''. Its all about not acting retarted, or all friendly/cute or whatever. That's IRC.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by surfichris on 09-16-2005 at 01:22 AM

quote:
None of the forum staff want to acknowledge it, because the cause if it are members that they are friends with, plus some of the staff are the cause also.
I'm taking offence to that on behalf of the other members of staff here. Speaking for myself, if you misbehave and are my friend or not you'll cop the same punishment. I've had to ban several of my 'friends' numerous times and do you think it is easy on us? Do you really think we'd treat people lighter because we're friends with them?

You have to remember, we have to make decisions sometimes and if it looks like we're going light on someone then that is most certainly not the case. All of our decisions are based on our own judgement as well as what the user has been involved with before.
quote:
They do a great job but do have favourites unfourtunately. And they take decisions based on their favourites. For example, I was banned once because I spammed a bit. Sure that is acceptable. However I was also told that it was because I asked to be a beta tester, which I never did. It was someone who posted before me, and I took the blame. And the admins/mods don't seem to like me anymore because of this. Sure some probably don't even care, but there are some like mnjul who seem to not like me.
You were banned because you spammed. End of story. When we ban someone its not like we hold this huge grudge against them for the rest of their membership. I think you'll find that we forget about it a few days later and it's only when people bring it up that we are reminded. We're not angry at you and we don't hate you!

Now, i'm at work at the moment so i'll write a better reply later when I get home! Would rather do it now that i have this in my head:

quote:
Staff wise: IMHO, I think there should be LOCAL mods. People (Elites) should be given the oportunity to moderate certain forums. I know there are a small number of forums, but I do think that putting local mods would reduce the spam. And I see spam all the time, like today, 4 people said the SAME thing in a thread. That should not be allowed, and I remember back in the day if you confirmed or said things that had already been stated you got trolled.
"Local" - Normal Moderators - are useless on a forum of this size because they need to be able to moderate the other forums as well. Adding new moderators isn't the solution to a spam problem either - we've discussed this too. Oh, and if you see this spam then do us a favour and report it! It will be dealt with!
quote:
More bans: I think the current system is fine, but when you see the SAME people getting banned weekly I do believe that is very dodgy. IICRC, I thought that people were going to be permanantly banned after like 5 bans? I may not be right, but I though Chris Boulton said that before. Also, I do believe that 1 day bans have got to be longer, because the people who are getting 1 day bans are just coming back doing the same crap as they did before.
3 strikes and you're out for a long time. As you'll see, toddy is now gone.
quote:
Testing & Trashing: I think there should be set guidelines on what is allowed to be posted there. The current posts and threads are 99% useless, but I know the forum is there for people to spam. But when people go in topics and just go "HI" or  post one emoticon, it gets annoying, examples are there you just have to look.
Indeed.
quote:
Is it really like that? The irc is run in a way for the same community. If you don't want us brining us issues on the forums about it, is it really because it annoys you?
Actually it's because we dont want to deal with IRC issues on the forum.

Feel free to post them in Forum & Website however don't expect the forum staff here to do anything because we're not in charge of IRC.
quote:
You put me in a horrible mood, ruined my day, which in turn made my school class a really hard.
Then if the computer is really affecting you that much then I suggest you have a break from it.
quote:
I'm leaving this forum, and the IRC chat channels.  Nice meeting all of you, GoodBye
Thanks for telling us the community is crap then running off!
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Forums are ran by a team of what I'd call excellent Administrators and Moderators, they are very fair and put up with a lot of shit big forum mods and admins normally don't.
(Y) Thanks for the support Wabz - at least one member here thinks we do a good job.

Now, I just want to finish my reply by stating (something which i've forgot). Oh, yeah, right. About the favourtism - there are several of my 'friends' around here whos posts I keep tabs on (monitor) because I know they can say some mean things before - and if I see them doing so then I won't treat them easier than others.

You look at any other community (Neowin, Mess, MSFN) and you'll see they all have problems like this - as was said in this thread, you can't have thousands of people together and expect them to each like each other and there not to be a few little arguments and things. Welcome to the world.

[edit] Just back on IRC. If its server issues or issues with #msgplus then by all means bring it here. However it isn't our job to police #banana, #apple and #mybb and any other channel on the network if there are problems with those channels. IRC Operators (opers) exist on the network to handle issues like this as well as the channel founders. The opers, who are more than willing to listen, are Trekie, wtbw, segosa, Wabz and supposidly myself. (Kisskiss if i missed anyone - apart from the other guy :x)
RE: RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by segosa on 09-16-2005 at 05:35 AM

quote:

I read this and found it hard to believe. I don't think you were abused the moment you joined and for no reason. IRC isn't that bad at all. I did a bit of searching in my #banana logs..

I believe this was the first time you came on IRC:

code:

[04:20:09] * Joins: lou_habs (~msgplus@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca)
[04:20:18] <@wacky> and there he is! :o
[04:20:24] <@Omar> you're not cool...
[04:20:28] <lou_habs> hey its you pplz
[04:20:29] <@wacky> :(
[04:20:32] <@wacky> yeah I am
[04:20:34] <lou_habs> hey wacky
[04:20:35] <@wacky> nah I aint lol
[04:20:37] <@wacky> hi lou
[04:20:39] <lou_habs> since when is your name wacky cool?
[04:20:47] <@wacky> I just replied to your post
[04:20:48] <@Omar> you body's temp is 37.5º just like everybody else... :D
[04:20:53] <lou_habs> lol
[04:21:05] <lou_habs> I need to be on here more often!
[04:21:08] <@wacky> lies omy.. mines at 20.34
[04:21:13] <@Omar> :O
[04:21:16] <@wacky> why.. this place sucks :P
[04:21:20] <@Omar> you ARE cool
[04:21:27] <@Ddunk> did you try another distro of linux lou_habs?
[04:21:27] <@wacky> haha
[04:21:49] <lou_habs> ddunk...I was able to make it work...and no only one distro...didnt like it:s
[04:22:01] <@Omar> doughboyy... this guy TylerG is making fun of you
[04:22:04] <@Omar> :D
[04:22:08] <@wacky> Now Playing: Murderdolls - I Take Drugs [00:26/01:43@128kbps]
[04:22:09] <@Ddunk> what didn't you like? :P
[04:22:17] <lou_habs> dunno...no imgs at all..lol
[04:23:03] <@Ddunk> there are a few with GUI, like redhat :p
[04:23:08] <@Ddunk> +a

(conversation continued with a bit of a discussion on linux)

I saw no abuse, rather, you were being helped.

A bit later...
code:
[04:31:54] <lou_habs> does chaotic_shield ever come on here?
[04:31:55] <@Omar> its a torrent site
[04:32:01] <@Ddunk> invite only
[04:32:05] <@Ddunk> and yes lou_habs
[04:32:33] <lou_habs> alright...ddunk Im not used to being on here...how in the world did you make that thing go ping?
[04:32:55] <@Ddunk> Ping? Pong!
[04:32:56] <@Ddunk> that thing?
[04:33:01] <@Ddunk> it's the server making sure you're still connected
Same thing there ^
code:

[05:05:41] <lou_habs> come on you lazy bums wake up and smell the roses
[05:06:10] <@wacky> roses have thorns :dodgy:
[05:06:39] <lou_habs> your dodgy imo ;)

You could easily have been abused there but you weren't. You were asking for it.

code:
[03:25:55] * lou_habs slaps XxRebelSeanxX around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:29] * lou_habs slapping time
[03:26:29] * lou_habs slaps AznAngel around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:30] * lou_habs slaps Dane around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:31] * lou_habs slaps Ddunk around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:32] * lou_habs slaps digital around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:32] * lou_habs slaps EvilSeph around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:33] * lou_habs (~louhabs@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca) was kicked by Robot (Stop flooding!)
[03:26:39] <@AznAngel> owned.
[03:26:43] * Joins: lou_habs (~louhabs@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca)
[03:26:43] <YBWZRD> pawned
[03:26:44] * lou_habs slaps Time around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:45] * lou_habs slaps Wabz around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:45] * lou_habs slaps Jenny around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:47] * lou_habs slaps paul|laptop around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:47] <lou_habs> sory bout that.
[03:26:48] * lou_habs slaps segbot around a bit with a large trout
[03:26:48] * Robot sets mode: +b *!*@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca
[03:26:48] * lou_habs (~louhabs@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca) was kicked by Robot (Stop flooding!)

That wasn't even done by a human. The bot banned you automatically for flooding.
code:
[03:28:28] * lou_habs slaps lou_habs around a bit with a large trout
[03:28:41] * Robot sets mode: +b *!*@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca
[03:28:41] * lou_habs (~louhabs@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca) was kicked by Robot (flood.)

That wasn't justified at all, but we don't know what op kicked you (signkicks off) so we'll have to ignore that..

I searched for any time you were kicked..
code:
[19:01:25] <lou_habs> 4,1&#8364;9«0©9»4,1&#8364;9«0©9» 4,1&#8364; 9«0©9»4,1&#8364;9«0©9»4, 1&#8364;9« 0©9»4,1&#8364;9«0©9»4,1&#8364;9 «0©9»4,1&#8364;9«0©9» 4,1&#83 64;9«0©9»4,1&#8364;9«0©9»4,1 &#8364;9«0©9»4,1&#8364;
[19:01:26] <lou_habs> 4,1&#8364;9«0©9» 4,1&#8364; 9WELCOM E 4,1&#8364;9«0© 9»4,1&#8364;  9HUGS 4, 1&#8364;9«0©9»4,1&#8364;  9 WELCOME 4,1&#836 4;9«0© 9»4,1&#8364;
[19:01:26] <lou_habs> 4,1&#8364;9«0©9 »4,1&#8364;0,4              LittleK               4,1&#8364; 9«0©9»4,1&#8364;
[19:01:26] <lou_habs> 4,1&#836 4;9«0©9»4 ,1&#8364; 9WELCOME  4,1&#8364;9«0©9»4,1 &#8364; 9HUGS 4,1&#8 364;9«0©9»4,1&# 8364; 9 WELCOME 4,1&#8364;9«0 ©9»4,1&#8364;
[19:01:26] <lou_habs> 4,1&#8364;9«0©9» 4,1&#8364;....
[19:01:32] <LittleK> :|
[19:01:33] <ShawnZ> Holy fuck wtf.

[19:02:15] * lou_habs (~louhabs@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca) was kicked by segosa (TURN IT OFF.)

That was something like the third time you showed the stupid colour banner after we told you to stop...

I also kicked you once because you kept joining, parting, joining, parting every minute.

Seems EvilSeph doesn't like noobtalk..
code:
[19:26:36] <lou_habs> J00 MUST B0W D0\/\/|\| 2 ~|~|-|3 lou_habs()|_-|\/|A|\|
[19:26:42] <lou_habs> lol
[19:26:59] <@EvilSeph> http://www.web2messenger.com/forum/index.php/topi...g4306.html#msg4306 << this fuy is funny
[19:27:03] * lou_habs (~louhabs@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca) was kicked by EvilSeph (.)

That's everything I could find. From the moment you first joined to now, that's every time you've been kicked.

I don't call it being abused, every time you were kicked there was a valid reason (bar one, and we don't know who did it).

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Pipish on 09-16-2005 at 05:51 AM

Why are we winging theres nothing we can to the forums went downhill a long time ago they will never go back to the way they once were i find it sad to think i once cherised this place spent hours on end posting whatever the hell i felt like without anyone caring tbh no suggestion or anything can bring these forums back to what they once  were so we should just drop it and deal with those who are causing others grief :)

thats my input

Pip.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ShawnZ on 09-16-2005 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
Why are we winging theres nothing we can to the forums went downhill a long time ago they will never go back to the way they once were i find it sad to think i once cherised this place spent hours on end posting whatever the hell i felt like without anyone caring tbh no suggestion or anything can bring these forums back to what they once  were so we should just drop it and deal with those who are causing others grief :)

thats my input

Pip.

Oh geez, its 2 am, I can't read that shit, mind adding some punctuation?

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Stigmata on 09-16-2005 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Being a good helper (quick, good help, not loosing patience...staying friendly) on irc is a hell of a lot tougher than it is to be a good one onhere.

Not even a quarter of the users on the server actually help in the support channel..

quote:
Oh geez, its 2 am, I can't read that shit, mind adding some punctuation?

quote:
Why are we winging theres nothing we can do .The forums went downhill a long time ago, they will never go back to the way they once were. I find it sad to think i once cherised this place spent hours on end posting whatever the hell i felt like without anyone caring. Tbh no suggestion or anything can bring these forums back to what they once were, so we should just drop it and deal with those who are causing others grief.

thats my input

Pip.

Better?

One of my experiences on irc:
i used to be a op on #banana, but one day it was removed without my knowledge. I was there for about half an hour/hour without realising this. Then LittleK, Frozendaggers plus others started bitching and arguing. I told them to stop it, and warned them with a kick (i was still oblivious to the fact that i wasnt a op). In return all i got was a rude responce telling me to F*ck off, stfu, gtfu etc.. then after i tryed to ban Littlek for being rude to a op, realising my op had been removed, i declared to the forum something along the lines of "wtf happen to my op :s" to i get the reply (similer reply) "LittleK: yeh thats why i didnt listen to you lol", "LittleK: If you were one, i would have shut up". While this is happening others such a segosa take no notice, dont ban her, dont kick her, and so on. Come on, just because they are girls they get special rights? Immune to discipline? "wow shes fit".

What i would like to see done on the forums:

staff just being stricter.
just basically deleting the rubbish, no splits etc.
Longer bans, and more of them.

Elites + maybe others have the right to make posts invisible awaiting mod preview? so infectively deleting post but allowing it open to mod decision?

Reputations should be looked at, maybe this same elite/member moderating system could be put in place?

Favourtism to be decreased, dont get me wrong, its great that you can make friend on these boards, i myself have made a fair few, but they should never be allowed to influence decisions.

I would ask that some members are not treated like celebs. I highly disagree that people should hang on anothers every word because they are popular or cool etc. its just not right, you should all be a individual.

that is all for now :$
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by surfichris on 09-16-2005 at 06:57 AM

quote:
8-) We do that however you cannot expect us to read every single thread and post every day. We rely on users to help us with the report system. But thanks for stating what's already done!
quote:

Yep, let's be total Nazi's and make this forum hell for everyone. First we warn, we'll then ban if we see it justified. As for longer bans, we do ban users for longer periods of time.
quote:
Favourtism to be decreased, dont get me wrong, its great that you can make friend on these boards, i myself have made a fair few, but they should never be allowed to influence decisions.
Okay, did you even bother to read my replies? 8-).
quote:
I would ask that some members are not treated like celebs. I highly disagree that people should hang on anothers every word because they are popular or cool etc. its just not right, you should all be a individual.
"Whatever". As I explained, we don't play favourites.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Chrono on 09-16-2005 at 07:09 AM

quote:
One of my experiences on irc:
i used to be a op on #banana, but one day it was removed without my knowledge. I was there for about half an hour/hour without realising this. Then LittleK, Frozendaggers plus others started bitching and arguing. I told them to stop it, and warned them with a kick (i was still oblivious to the fact that i wasnt a op). In return all i got was a rude responce telling me to F*ck off, stfu, gtfu etc.. then after i tryed to ban Littlek for being rude to a op, realising my op had been removed, i declared to the forum something along the lines of "wtf happen to my op " to i get the reply (similer reply) "LittleK: yeh thats why i didnt listen to you lol", "LittleK: If you were one, i would have shut up". While this is happening others such a segosa take no notice, dont ban her, dont kick her, and so on. Come on, just because they are girls they get special rights? Immune to discipline? "wow shes fit".
Completely unrelated to the forums O_o
quote:
i usually delete slective posts rather than split :P. Unless it could be a decent or funny topic :P. I agree about the longer bans but that's up to the admins, as mods can only ban for 24 hours. (i would have banned toddy ages ago, ffs :dodgy:). About being stricter, we are strict enough. if you think something needs a bit of moderation, then report it. if you dont report it and we do nothing about it, then we think it's fine :P

quote:
Elites + maybe others have the right to make posts invisible awaiting mod preview? so infectively deleting post but allowing it open to mod decision?
(N) Useless, simply report the post.
quote:
Reputations should be looked at, maybe this same elite/member moderating system could be put in place?
what do you mean?
quote:
Examples please? i dont care if the one im banning is my best friend or something, i have banned almost every regular arround :P. I banned wacky and marissa not so long ago (as an example), and they are/were good friends of mine, and they are girls :refuck:. Did i care? Well, i said i didnt like to ban 'friends', but it's my job and ill do it if you give me enough reasons :P.
quote:
true. But what can we do about it? Members must change, the staff cant do much about it.

What i dont like about this thread is that you people blame us (the staff) about every single problem, when most of the times you HAVE THE CHANCE to do something about it. About the spam, you can report it, about the matter that the forums need more moderating, you can help us too by reporting! It's not just our fault, it is you who are spamming on the first place :P. If you think something needs moderation, you can report, if you think someone deserves a ban you can report, we are not perfect anyway.

Meh im really pissed off :P
RE: RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by segosa on 09-16-2005 at 07:20 AM

quote:
Not even a quarter of the users on the server actually help in the support channel..

i used to be a op on #banana, but one day it was removed without my knowledge. I was there for about half an hour/hour without realising this. Then LittleK, Frozendaggers plus others started bitching and arguing. I told them to stop it, and warned them with a kick (i was still oblivious to the fact that i wasnt a op). In return all i got was a rude responce telling me to F*ck off, stfu, gtfu etc.. then after i tryed to ban Littlek for being rude to a op, realising my op had been removed, i declared to the forum something along the lines of "wtf happen to my op :s" to i get the reply (similer reply) "LittleK: yeh thats why i didnt listen to you lol", "LittleK: If you were one, i would have shut up". While this is happening others such a segosa take no notice, dont ban her, dont kick her, and so on. Come on, just because they are girls they get special rights? Immune to discipline? "wow shes fit".

To clear things up, here are the logs of that event:

code:
[21:12:04] <Stigmata> SHUT UP!
[21:12:06] <LittleK> FrozenDaggers. we all sorted it out, it wasnt me who started the arguments everynight
[21:12:10] <FrozenDaggers> It is a fact cause you've proved my point already.
[21:12:14] <Jonny> right, AS SOMEONE who doesn't know a THING about this dispute, and hasn't seen any arguments himself, and generally is impartial, I command that no-one starts one now!
[21:12:23] <@segosa> Jonny: won't work.
[21:12:27] <@Shaun> /part and /ignore were made for reasons
[21:12:38] <FrozenDaggers> and I didn't know it was gonna cause trouble
[21:12:42] <LittleK> Ok
[21:12:45] <FrozenDaggers> cause I wasn't expecting you to come in.
[21:12:47] <FrozenDaggers> end of.
[21:13:26] <Stigmata> Anymore arguing results in a kick. Continous Arguing = Ban.
[21:13:38] <FrozenDaggers> ¬¬
[21:13:40] <LittleK> Stigmata, f o tbh ;\
[21:13:45] <LittleK> that count as a kick?
[21:13:48] <FrozenDaggers> yeah, what LittleK said.

After that you were just questioning losing your op.

You're telling me I should have banned her for telling you to 'f o'? Hey, whatever happened to free speech? Life is full of things which offend you, big deal. Learn to live with it. We don't ban for petty things like telling someone else to 'f o'.

Just like with lou_habs above the situation is blown right out of proportion in your description of the event and IRC is made to look worse than it is.

Girls do not get special treatment, LittleK is a perfect example of this and I'm sure she'll confirm it.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by CookieRevised on 09-16-2005 at 08:11 AM

Ok, I read this whole thread (once and a half times) and what I can add to the many posts in here I agree upon (and the few I don't agree upon), is this:

It all comes down to having respect for eachother and to have respect for the rules! Think before you post something, read threads before posting something and report spam/abuse/wrong things with the report button.

And if you need to argue with someone, try to keep it a clean and a mature discussion (I know this isn't always easy though).

Rules are to be respected, not to be broken. If someone doesn't stick to them he/she will get punished.

If people follow the rules (and I mostly mean the "common sense" rules, not only the "don't do this don't do that" rules) then there is no reason for a mod/admin to take any action in the first place. So please don't blame them if things get worse on a forum, it is mostly the users themselfs who make or brake a forum.

If anything needs to be changed it is not a reputation report system, local mods, stickies, etc. (as those are all means to keep a problem under control, or mask it if you like, it is not to solve the problem), it is the behaviour of the people who use a forum. If everybody has a good mature senseable behaviour on a forum, then there wouldn't be any need for mods/admins/rules/whatever anyways...

(all this goes for IRC also... heck, for every kind of community...)

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Hank on 09-16-2005 at 08:22 AM

i somewhat agree. these forums are going downhill,  why, i think its partly to do with the fact People "care" so much about this "Reputation" system than anything else,

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Pyroteq on 09-16-2005 at 09:06 AM

And ive just stopped posting, seeing as all this shit is going on..

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Sunshine on 09-16-2005 at 10:33 AM

What's with all these people leaving the forums when there are a few arguments? You think that's gonna solve the problem? If you do then i can tell you you are wrong! If anything it's gonna make it worse, big forums like these depend on people reporting posts and other mishaps (even posts in T&T if they are abusive). You can't expect a lil group of people to do it all. Admins and mods are trying their best..but don't expect them to read every single post, help them!

Asfor leaving threads, i've become somewhat immune to them (there were too many)..90% of those leaving come back, that's why you will not see me posting in them. It's only when people i know won't leave over nothing that i try to get them to stay. Dedication to a community means staying in good and bad times.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by KeyStorm on 09-16-2005 at 10:49 AM

First of all, I agree with Anubis and Cookie (edit: and Sunshine, of course), I think we see the problem from the same side.

In the time I've been back from my idleness I've discovered that there's a group of helper-wannabes who really have good intentions, but are not following some certain ethical guidelines while helping and convert the support into a race for posting the first and not a race for posting the best.
Other times there are different points of view, and I'm keen on discussing them because I like to see things from different sides, but I expect others to be just as open-minded to listen to others' opinions. Some threads have fallen into certainly harsh tone and, I reckon, I'm not going to allow people to insult my point of view, as well as you won't see me insulting anyone esle's. This points directly to respect. I had to bite my tongue fingers quite some times to not to start acccusing of immaturity and direspect towards forum veterans or forum n00bs. It's not a matter of forum time, it's a matter of thinking one's above the rest and can easily insult or disregard what others say.

I try to keep a respectful attitude towards those who start to aggressively defend their points, but I'm not an Otherland's bot, I can't always be nice to people stating those who say "Bush is not a good president" are stupid. It's not the opinion one may have, it's the way one supports it, and insulting others is certainly wrong, but lately spreading around, sadly.

There's nothing staff can do, people have freedom of speech (to a certain extent), but there still should be an etiquette for everyone, implied or expressed.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by Lou on 09-16-2005 at 10:57 AM

Well now that the chat logs have been posted for the chat with me I would like to clear things up.

First of all that wasn't the first time I was on. The first time I was on, I had been banned and I said hello and I just got flamed at from everyone for being baned o_O

Irc has changed since and I return once in a while. And I am respected. Things change.

@ admins: I wasn't saying I didn't get banned for a reason. Its the fact of privacy. If you ban me, only I and other admins/mods should know the reason. The fact is that when mnjul posted that he was going to ban me, it only went up for flaming at me. I deleted the thread before anything bad happened. And the fact that it was "possible" that I had been banned for asking to be a beta tester, which I never did  would mean that this privacy was no longer existent and that you couldn't keep anything to yourself.

I don't care about the past. I am merely stating examples of things that "could" be improved. I know that it isn't always the fact for everyone. Some things are member speicific.

quote:
We make or break these forums, together
I saw this is someone's signature once. It is very true. It's not just the admins, not jsut the mods, not just the members. Anything and everything is caused by everyone.

EDIT: It's sunshine's sig.

I would also like to add, that flaming people for bad grammer is stupid. You simply have to correct them, and politely ask them to be more careful of what they type. Flaming them will most probably get them to do it again just to annoy you.

RE: RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by segosa on 09-16-2005 at 11:09 AM

quote:
Well now that the chat logs have been posted for the chat with me I would like to clear things up.

First of all that wasn't the first time I was on. The first time I was on, I had been banned and I said hello and I just got flamed at from everyone for being baned o_O

Irc has changed since and I return once in a while. And I am respected. Things change

The first instance of 'lou_habs' in my logfile starts at line 122,230 out of 470,850, so if what you say is true then you must have left for a long time.

I don't know what happened back then, whether you really were flamed and abused for no reason, since I can't seem to recall any of that. But either way, whatever happened in the past, you're respected now...
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ddunk on 09-16-2005 at 02:01 PM

In addition to segosa's posts:

Line 22865/848457

quote:
05.16.05|16.16.11 * Joins: lou_habs (~msgplus@7482607.9BC948AB.144034AB.IP)
05.16.05|16.16.19 <%BEWARE^^> nanananananana
05.16.05|16.16.45 <lou_habs> menthinx?
05.16.05|16.16.53 <+ShawnZ> Menthinks.
05.16.05|16.16.55 <%BEWARE^^> whats with MenthiX
05.16.05|16.17.08 <lou_habs> lol
05.16.05|16.17.27 <lou_habs> hey who here would be kind enough to make me a logo/banner for my sITE?
05.16.05|16.17.37 <+ShawnZ> ¬¬ @ activetrek
05.16.05|16.17.45 <%BEWARE^^> www.gtmf.us
05.16.05|16.17.52 * Quits: @wacky (wax@0wnz.j00) (Quit: cya kids)
05.16.05|16.18.14 <lou_habs> lmao
05.16.05|16.18.21 * Joins: Peri (Peri@Ping.Pong)
05.16.05|16.19.15 <@DXtremz> vacuumo, columbia has something right too ;)
05.16.05|16.19.33 <lou_habs> ya but seriously....
05.16.05|16.19.39 <lou_habs> can anyone help?
05.16.05|16.19.50 <@DXtremz> Noes :<
05.16.05|16.19.51 <+ShawnZ> DX: and China ¬¬
05.16.05|16.20.09 <@DXtremz> :\
05.16.05|16.20.29 <lou_habs> can anyone tell me how to make myself a good looking one?
05.16.05|16.20.40 <+ShawnZ> get Photoshop, and...
05.16.05|16.20.42 <+ShawnZ> make one.
05.16.05|16.20.46 <+ShawnZ> or better
05.16.05|16.20.48 <+ShawnZ> microsoft paint.
05.16.05|16.20.49 <%BEWARE^^> lmao
05.16.05|16.21.29 <lou_habs> lmao yeah right
05.16.05|16.21.39 <+ShawnZ> wasnt a joke.
05.16.05|16.21.57 <lou_habs> haha
05.16.05|16.22.06 <+ShawnZ> no really
05.16.05|16.22.12 <+ShawnZ> that wasnt a joke.
05.16.05|16.22.20 <lou_habs> microsoft paint..if everyone made their logos there the net would sure be ugly...unless sum ppl are great
05.16.05|16.23.51 <lou_habs> so u say photoshop?
05.16.05|16.24.34 <lou_habs> ?
05.16.05|16.24.37 <+ShawnZ> no
05.16.05|16.24.37 <lou_habs> ?
05.16.05|16.24.44 <%BEWARE^^> ShawnZ with microsoft paint it sucks cock man

05.16.05|16.24.45 <+ShawnZ> microsoft paint, i siad.
05.16.05|16.24.49 <lou_habs> then wut besides mspaint
05.16.05|16.24.51 <%BEWARE^^> thats not gonna work
05.16.05|16.24.55 <+ShawnZ> yes it would
05.16.05|16.25.06 <+ShawnZ> tis super easy to make good logos in paint.
05.16.05|16.25.07 <%BEWARE^^> no it would not
05.16.05|16.25.07 <lou_habs> I know ms paint aint gonna work no offense but I cant get anything good outta that one
05.16.05|16.25.10 <%BEWARE^^> no it would not
05.16.05|16.25.16 <%BEWARE^^> ShawnZ with microsoft paint it sucks cock man
05.16.05|16.25.17 <+ShawnZ> What the fuck
05.16.05|16.25.21 <%BEWARE^^> like i said
05.16.05|16.25.24 <lou_habs> then wut besides mspaint?
05.16.05|16.25.24 <+ShawnZ> then you just suck at life
05.16.05|16.25.27 <lou_habs> then wut besides mspaint?
05.16.05|16.25.32 <+ShawnZ> Dont ask me
05.16.05|16.25.36 <+ShawnZ> mspaint > *
05.16.05|16.25.41 <lou_habs> whoa peeps dont argue over this Im just saying I dont like mspaint
05.16.05|16.25.43 <%BEWARE^^> 04(ShawnZ04): you suck my cock fisrt biatch
05.16.05|16.25.57 <%BEWARE^^> first*
05.16.05|16.26.13 <lou_habs> WHOA
05.16.05|16.26.16 <lou_habs> calm it plz boys
05.16.05|16.26.19 <%BEWARE^^> brb
05.16.05|16.26.21 <%BEWARE^^> no
05.16.05|16.26.27 <%BEWARE^^> :)
05.16.05|16.26.31 <%BEWARE^^> iwont
05.16.05|16.27.12 <lou_habs> well how can I make sumthing good looking with mspaint?
05.16.05|16.27.23 <Dreth> It's easy
05.16.05|16.27.31 <Dreth> You need intelligence and creativity.
05.16.05|16.27.58 <lou_habs> ok I got the program
05.16.05|16.27.59 <lou_habs> lol
05.16.05|16.28.37 <Dreth> Okay you don't posses either...
05.16.05|16.28.39 <Dreth> I'm done.
05.16.05|16.29.24 <lou_habs> well is photoshop good> lol
05.16.05|16.29.54 <Dreth> Yes, as long you know how to use it.
05.16.05|16.30.04 <Dreth> Which I doubt you do.
05.16.05|16.30.39 <lou_habs> Well I USED to have it
05.16.05|16.30.46 * Quits: musicalmidget (~spam@musicalmidget.users.msgplus.net) (Quit: Nighty)
05.16.05|16.31.10 <Dreth> Then why do you ask me if it's good or not
05.16.05|16.31.28 <lou_habs> well I never made a logo with it
05.16.05|16.31.40 <lou_habs> lol
05.16.05|16.32.15 * Joins: dandin1 (~dandin1@MsgPlus-6CD6F021.sympatico.ca)
05.16.05|16.33.33 * Quits: Peri (Peri@Ping.Pong) (Ping timeout)
05.16.05|16.33.59 <Dreth> lou_habs Hmm... don't talk to me, again, thanks.
05.16.05|16.34.15 <lou_habs> wtf?
05.16.05|16.34.58 <+ShawnZ> i think he means
05.16.05|16.35.05 <+ShawnZ> 'it doesnt matter WHAT you make, youve used it.'
05.16.05|16.35.09 * Joins: Peri (Peri@Ping.Pong)
05.16.05|16.35.54 <lou_habs> ok then.....
05.16.05|16.36.07 * lou_habs slaps himself around the bit with a large trout
05.16.05|16.36.11 * Quits: lou_habs (~msgplus@7482607.9BC948AB.144034AB.IP) (Quit: www.msgplus.net)

Line 193492/848457
quote:
06.13.05|14.40.55 * Joins: lou_habs (~msgplus@MsgPlus-9C58E5C.mc.videotron.ca)

Then you /quit without saying anything.

Both these of these come before segosa's logs, and we still haven't seen that incident.
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by RebelSean on 09-16-2005 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fish

"Local" - Normal Moderators - are useless on a forum of this size because they need to be able to moderate the other forums as well. Adding new moderators isn't the solution to a spam problem either - we've discussed this too. Oh, and if you see this spam then do us a favour and report it! It will be dealt with!

Er, the point in Local Moderators is to moderate CERTAIN forums, not to be able to moderate them all. That is what Super Moderators are for. My point being, if you add locals it will still cut down on the amount of reported posts we report daily, and it would reduce spam in the long run, IMHO.

quote:
3 strikes and you're out for a long time. As you'll see, toddy is now gone.

That is very contridicting, because since I have been back, ShawnZ & Toddy have both been banned at least 3 times each, toddy more than that I do believe. Especialy with ShawnZ trying to exploit the board :undecided:. But as you said, toddy is now gone (for good?).

quote:
quote:
Indeed.

Any plans on stricter guidelines being added?
RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by absorbation on 09-16-2005 at 09:02 PM

The forum is coming apart, some things do annoy me, there was a thread about mippo today but since i've joined i've never seen him, not flaming anyone it's just an example.

Also the pointess spammy threads are getting too often, no offence to omar, just an example, but his a huge spammer in this community and does'nt help must however is great in the spanish forums :) So some people are liked for not doing things on this forum.

Also people who have reps like 8 with no posts becuase they are on irc etc.

Just some things that tic me off, not trying to flame or judge certain people :)

Thanks again.

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by ShawnZ on 09-16-2005 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Especialy with ShawnZ trying to exploit the board

I DIDNT!
RE: RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by emit on 09-16-2005 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
The forum is coming apart, some things do annoy me, there was a thread about mippo today but since i've joined i've never seen him, not flaming anyone it's just an example.

Also people who have reps like 8 with no posts becuase they are on irc etc.

Some people do a lot on IRC for the community, they help for hours on end dedicating a lot of time to real time tech support for Plus and MSN in general. You wanna deny people a rep point for that? You can't give reps on IRC, so I think some leeway is permissible in that.

As for Mippo - click the forums team link. He's an elite member, that's not given for no reason.
RE: RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum by CookieRevised on 09-17-2005 at 03:49 AM

quote:
quote:

Er, the point in Local Moderators is to moderate CERTAIN forums, not to be able to moderate them all. That is what Super Moderators are for. My point being, if you add locals it will still cut down on the amount of reported posts we report daily, and it would reduce spam in the long run, IMHO.
You missed the point. Local mods are useless on this board (not to mention on many others as well) because decent modding means being able to move threads to other subforums, joining several same threads but posted in different forums together, monitoring a spammer who doesn't keep his spam to 1 subforum (obviously), etc...

Local mods are only truelly usefull if your board is divided in very clear and big non-related subforums (aka having actually more then one board so to speak), not if a board is about one or two main subjects and has subforums which overflow in eachother. and IMHO, this goes for most if not all messenger related forums I've seen; a team of 20 local mods isn't better than a team of 5 'supermods'. In fact it is worse as more local mods need to be added all the time to keep fighting spam as local mods are restricted in what they can do and thus there need to be more mods online all the time to completely cover a board)

On this board there is no such thing as a 'local' mod, it doesn't exist, each mod is equal and covers the entire board. The staff people all trust eachother, like a good staff team should. I say this because you would only make someone a local mod because you don't fully trust him/her to be able to judge over other subforums; otherwise you might as well make him/her a full mod in the first place which would be much more convenient and usefull for both parties...

All this has been discussed many times before btw...

EDIT: And before you say "but there are admins on here, so why don't you make all the mods admins then?": there is a huge difference between 'admin vs supermod' and 'supermod vs localmod'.... Admins do more stuff than supermods and need to have knowledge about the inner workings of a board, hence they administrate a site, this isn't only about 'trust'.... But supermods can't do anything more or don't need to know anything more than a normal mod would (only they aren't restricted to one subforum), hence I say that local mods are only restricted local mods because they are not trusted as much as the supermods; there is no other difference between the two.

As said: adding local mods, normal mods, admins, more options, report buttons, deleting reputations, whatever... all that isn't going to change a thing as all that are means to fix the results of a problem. They don't fix the problem itself being: the attitude of the members of a forum.

If everybody had a good senseable and muture behaviour there wouldn't be any need for report buttons, mods, etc...