Shoutbox

removing multiboots? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: removing multiboots? (/showthread.php?tid=50562)

removing multiboots? by Savior on 09-16-2005 at 01:15 AM

Hi,

What is the best way to delete and OS and multiboot I'm multibooting XP and VISTA on two HD.  I want to remove VISTA.

RE: removing multiboots? by matty on 09-16-2005 at 01:19 AM

On your C Drive there is a folder called BOOT (need to remove that) and edit Vista out of your boot.ini

Note: This will render Windows Vista UNBOOTABLE, then you need to format the partition/drive where vista is on.

RE: removing multiboots? by Savior on 09-16-2005 at 01:21 AM

Will the bootmanager come up?

RE: removing multiboots? by paperless on 09-16-2005 at 01:44 AM

Yes it will but in boot.ini you can set the time till it goes automatically to the default selected OS.

RE: removing multiboots? by ShawnZ on 09-16-2005 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
Yes it will but in boot.ini you can set the time till it goes automatically to the default selected OS

No, regardless of the timeout value the menu only appears if more than one OS is specified.
RE: removing multiboots? by paperless on 09-16-2005 at 01:49 AM

Are you sure? I think when i had two windows and removed one the menu still apeared ( im almost sure about this but i could be wrong )

RE: removing multiboots? by ShawnZ on 09-16-2005 at 01:50 AM

Yeah, mine used to be set to 30 (default) and with only one option it never prompted me. Did you tape your f8 key down? =p

RE: removing multiboots? by matty on 09-16-2005 at 03:11 AM

Once you delete the BOOT folder on the root of C: it wont come up then when  you clear out the boot.ini of Vista you will be free. Its what I had to do.

RE: removing multiboots? by zaher1988 on 09-16-2005 at 07:54 AM

guys when i used to have 2 winxp.

like one on the c: and one on the D:

i used to go to D: delete the windows folder + all related folders

then go to run>msconfig>boot.ini and click check all boot paths, this will remove the deleted version's boot automaticly

regards :)

RE: removing multiboots? by Savior on 09-16-2005 at 03:15 PM

I removed it but still it comes up :(

RE: removing multiboots? by zaher1988 on 09-16-2005 at 03:29 PM

hey

REMOVING WINDOWS VISTA FROM YOUR SYSTEM

1. If you installed Build 5048 as a standalone operating system on its own PC, then simply reformat the hard drive it is on.

2. (a) If you have Dual Booted with another operating system, for example Windows XP, then boot into Windows XP and go to Disk Management (right click My Computer>Manage>Disk Management).

Select the drive you have Windows Vista installed on, right click it and select Format. A quick format should be all you need.

2. (b) Proceed to and use the Quick Removal Method below.

3. If you have Windows Vista installed on a system with multiple operating systems, i.e. two or more in addition to Windows Vista, use the Complete Removal Method.

QUICK REMOVAL METHOD

Go to the Run dialogue box on your start menu and type “msconfig” (without the quotes). This will open the System Configuration Utility. Then go to the BOOT.INI tab and select "Check All Boot Paths".

This is automatic and all you need to do after this is select “OK” and “Apply” and "Restart".

On restart, place a check in the System dialogue box that pops up.

Note: This method while easy to use and effective has its shortcomings. It does not carry out a full cleanup of your system and leaves traces of the Longhorn installation on your Windows XP system drive. These will however not interfere with your Windows XP installation. Should you wish to fully remove Windows Vista from your system, use the Complete Removal Method.

COMPLETE REMOVAL METHOD

With Windows Vista still fully installed, boot to your Windows XP installation. Go to Start>Run and type "C:\boot\fixntfs -XP" (without the quotes) and click OK. Restart your system.

When the system reboots you will notice that the Windows Vista bootloader no longer exists.

Boot into Windows XP again and go to Disk Management (right click My Computer>Manage>Disk Management).

Select the drive you have Windows Vista installed on, right click it and select Format. A quick format should be all you need.

Now go to Windows Explorer and delete the following files from the root of your Windows XP installation hard drive or partition:

Boot (folder)
Boot.BAK
bootmgr
BOOTSECT.BAK

Right click My Computer, select Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings and under System startup, make sure that Windows XP is selected as the Default operating system. If not, then select it as Default operating system and select OK at the foot of the Startup and Recovery user interface and again select OK at the foot of System Properties user interface.

(Modifying the contents of one’s boot.ini file and bootsector may lead to not being able to access the operating system. Only experienced user’s comfortable doing so should use this method).

Return to My Computer, select Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings and this time select Edit. In the Notepad file that opens, select and delete all lines mentioning Windows Vista and then in that Notepad file, go to File and select Save.

Close Notepad and select OK at the foot of the Startup and Recovery user interface and again select OK at the foot of the System Properties user interface.

To confirm that your boot.ini file is now correct, go to the Run dialogue box on your start menu and type “msconfig” (without the quotes). This will open the System Configuration Utility. Go to the BOOT.INI tab and select "Check All Boot Paths".
You should get a dialogue box appearing with the message “It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK”. Restart your system

Read more Here

RE: removing multiboots? by Savior on 09-16-2005 at 06:15 PM

thanks for the advice.