Shoutbox

Wireless Security... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wireless Security... (/showthread.php?tid=50587)

Wireless Security... by mwe99 on 09-16-2005 at 10:01 PM

How easy (or not) is it to hack and find a WEP key? i DO NOT want a guide, i'm just curious about the security of my network.

Anyone posting links to hacking materials or how to, I will report the post. Please respect the forum rules.

RE: Wireless Security... by ShawnZ on 09-16-2005 at 10:02 PM

Yeah it is. Use WPA if it's available.

RE: Wireless Security... by Choli on 09-16-2005 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
How easy (or not) is it to hack and find a WEP key? i DO NOT want a guide, i'm just curious about the security of my network.

Anyone posting links to hacking materials or how to, I will report the post. Please respect the forum rules.
That depends on the traffic of the network. The more traffic, the quicker the WEP key/password is found. I think it's about 5~10 minutes.
RE: Wireless Security... by Menthix on 09-16-2005 at 10:15 PM

For wireless security:

- Use WPA if it's availible indeed
- Change your SSID (don't leave it on the default one)
- Turn off SSID broadcast if possible
- Use Mac filter if possible to only allow the mac numbers from you ows system(s)

WEP is prety easy to crack, certainly if you applied none of the points above.

RE: Wireless Security... by mwe99 on 09-16-2005 at 11:17 PM

I can only seem to use WEP :(

RE: Wireless Security... by Choli on 09-16-2005 at 11:26 PM

Well, in that case, if you want your wifi network be secure then change the WEP password quite often, use a long one, change the SSID (if you can) and try to disable SSID broadcast and enable mac filtering. Well, what MenthiX said.

RE: Wireless Security... by mwe99 on 09-16-2005 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Well, in that case, if you want your wifi network be secure then change the WEP password quite often, use a long one, change the SSID (if you can) and try to disable SSID broadcast and enable mac filtering. Well, what MenthiX said.

okay i will do :) i dont live in a wifi hotspot area, i dont think so i shouldnt get too many, but ill take the notes into consideration. Thanks guys :) Does anyone know of like a generator that can create strong passwords?

RE: Wireless Security... by Choli on 09-16-2005 at 11:43 PM

quote:
Does anyone know of like a generator that can create strong passwords?
Żour mind ;) Use a long password (8, 10, 12 characters), include numbers and symbols, and if you can use lower and upper case (Y). Put random letters, like the initials of a phrase in a song for example.
RE: Wireless Security... by mwe99 on 09-17-2005 at 12:39 AM

quote:
quote:
Does anyone know of like a generator that can create strong passwords?
Żour mind ;) Use a long password (8, 10, 12 characters), include numbers and symbols, and if you can use lower and upper case (Y). Put random letters, like the initials of a phrase in a song for example.

lol thanks, my current password is 14 characters and my current WEP is Hexadecimal but thanks for the tips guyz :)

RE: RE: Wireless Security... by rav0 on 09-17-2005 at 09:00 AM

quote:
That depends on the traffic of the network. The more traffic, the quicker the WEP key/password is found. I think it's about 5~10 minutes.

With the amount of traffic travelling through a home network, it would take weeks of continuous capturing of packets gather enough to crack WEP. But take no chances, change your password often, use a high security password (as you are), and change to WPA when you get the chance.
RE: RE: Wireless Security... by Anubis on 09-17-2005 at 09:51 AM

quote:
I can only seem to use WEP :(

In that case it could be a good idea to look on the router's manufacturer's website for a firmware upgrade that could contain an option for WPA. Many of the firmware upgrades for older routers seem to now allow WPA support for their intended router.

Also make sure the drivers for your computer's networking card allows and supports WPA (again downloading up to date drivers for them will likely have an option for WPA support)
RE: Wireless Security... by Ezra on 09-17-2005 at 11:35 AM

There is a firewall that randomly changes your password, not sure how  that will work with more than one computer in your network :P

But I forgot the name of it :wall: