Shoutbox

HTML Help please - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: HTML Help please (/showthread.php?tid=50639)

HTML Help please by lordy on 09-18-2005 at 03:06 PM

i want a link to open in a new window, it's my web2messenger status image link, and i want it to open in a new window when someone clicks on it (it's not on a forum btw :P) problem is i have no idea what to put into the code to make it do that. i'd assume it's in the <a> part of the code?

RE: HTML Help please by Plik on 09-18-2005 at 03:09 PM

code:
<a href="link" target="_blank">

RE: HTML Help please by lordy on 09-18-2005 at 03:11 PM

thank you kindly :D

RE: HTML Help please by user2319 on 09-24-2005 at 05:55 PM

I don't know if this is just for you special purpose (it sounds like it, because you're talking about some sort of app), but I think it's evil for the designer to make a page open in a new window. If I want to open it in a new window, I will do that myself. Useless new windows opening clutter my desktop when I'm not using multiple desktops. Not just technical people like me hate this, it also confuses people who are new to computers, like my mom. She wants to use the back button, but because some websites open in a new window, this doesn't work. And when she's done viewing whatever she wanted to view, she'll close the current window and then responds like "huh, there's another window here?".

RE: HTML Help please by Plik on 09-24-2005 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
I don't know if this is just for you special purpose (it sounds like it, because you're talking about some sort of app), but I think it's evil for the designer to make a page open in a new window. If I want to open it in a new window, I will do that myself. Useless new windows opening clutter my desktop when I'm not using multiple desktops. Not just technical people like me hate this, it also confuses people who are new to computers, like my mom. She wants to use the back button, but because some websites open in a new window, this doesn't work. And when she's done viewing whatever she wanted to view, she'll close the current window and then responds like "huh, there's another window here?".

I disagree with that.
The current standard in web design is to open offsite links in a new window, which imo is the best practise. For example if you have a list of cool websites the user can open a link and still be able to browse your site will looking at the site you linked to, and if they want they can open all the links off your site and browse them at the same time.
RE: HTML Help please by user2319 on 09-24-2005 at 07:29 PM

And if I wanted to use tabs?...

RE: HTML Help please by Plik on 09-24-2005 at 07:43 PM

quote:
I think theres either a feature in firefox or an extension that forces all target _blank links to open in a new tab and not window. And im sure opera would have a similar feature.
RE: RE: HTML Help please by user2319 on 09-24-2005 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
I think theres either a feature in firefox or an extension that forces all target _blank links to open in a new tab and not window. And im sure opera would have a similar feature.

I know, but I want both multiple tabs and windows. (Yes I'm weird.)

I still think about it the same: If someone want to open links in a new window/tab/whatever, they'll instruct their browser to do so. Give the user that freedom.
RE: HTML Help please by lordy on 09-24-2005 at 11:10 PM

yeh but the problem was that the website that i was puttin it on used frames or something and it kept opening the web2messenger page in a tiny little box that you couldne see what the whole thing was about. i was making it open in a new window so that whoever clicked on it could actually see the window in the frst place

RE: HTML Help please by Ezra on 09-24-2005 at 11:35 PM

You can also use the target function to target it to another frame, instead of target="_blank" use target="name", where name is the name of the frame

RE: HTML Help please by lordy on 09-25-2005 at 04:46 AM

that wouldnt have worked, it's hard to explain, it's not my website i was puttin it on so yeh, its done now and  it works just the way i want it and its not gunna change :P