Shoutbox

Opera is now... free. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Opera is now... free. (/showthread.php?tid=50719)

Opera is now... free. by segosa on 09-20-2005 at 01:42 PM

Not much to add to the title...

http://www.opera.com/free/

RE: Opera is now... free. by ~INVASION~ on 09-20-2005 at 01:47 PM

tahs pretty cool, but i already had it from the 10th anniversary

RE: Opera is now... free. by -dt- on 09-20-2005 at 01:50 PM

hmm thats a good move , i still wont use it though......

RE: Opera is now... free. by Savior on 09-20-2005 at 01:50 PM

They couldn't sell it so they made it free lol

RE: Opera is now... free. by ~INVASION~ on 09-20-2005 at 01:54 PM

with all the new security flaws being found in firefox because of its recent wide spread popularity, opera might be the next browser everyone willl look to for safe web use :undecided:

RE: Opera is now... free. by Ash_ on 09-20-2005 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
with all the new security flaws being found in firefox because of its recent wide spread popularity, opera might be the next browser everyone willl look to for safe web use :undecided:

rofl, yeh thatll be the day.
RE: Opera is now... free. by linx05 on 09-20-2005 at 01:57 PM

Damn, was going to post about this but put it off.

I am glad they are moving this way. Because of the Free Code they gave out I have moved away from Firefox and made Opera as my official secondary browser. I really like it! Good luck to the Opera team in the future!

RE: Opera is now... free. by -dt- on 09-20-2005 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
quote:

a day which will never come...... also its not "free"
RE: Opera is now... free. by L. Coyote on 09-20-2005 at 02:07 PM

I'll only be using it for compatibility reasons (for my sites)... *-)

But indeed, it was about time. It had to be one of the few browsers which you had to pay for (excluding IE/Win). :p

Edit: I know there was an ad-supported version (I had it since a few days ago, to test one of my sites)

RE: Opera is now... free. by mwe99 on 09-20-2005 at 02:19 PM

i never even knew you had to pay for it anyways :P but ill give it a go

RE: Opera is now... free. by Concord Dawn on 09-20-2005 at 02:31 PM

TBH, just a way to compete with Firefox.

RE: Opera is now... free. by Garndell on 09-20-2005 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
quote:

a day which will never come...... also its not "free"

Except Opera doesn't class as GNU Software which makes that point worthless.

Good to see it's free now, i've already been using it for a while as I never liked Firefox (even less now it's a status symbol like the iPod).
RE: Opera is now... free. by user27089 on 09-20-2005 at 08:07 PM

I have downloaded it now... Whether I use it or not I don't actually know, I'm just glad that I can finally have it free of ads!

RE: Opera is now... free. by Negro_Joe on 09-20-2005 at 08:21 PM

I dunno is it any better then Firefox...?

RE: Opera is now... free. by _Humphreys on 09-20-2005 at 08:37 PM

I'll stick with my Firefox thanks...free and better than IE's gaping holes.

RE: Opera is now... free. by saralk on 09-20-2005 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
I'll stick with my Firefox thanks...free and better than IE's gaping holes.

Opera is not IE :/
RE: Opera is now... free. by Ezra on 09-20-2005 at 08:51 PM

I sticking to firefox, I like the feel of it better.

And I really like the feature where it looks on google for incomplete adresses.

And i'm just used to firefox now, and don't want to switch again.

RE: Opera is now... free. by user35870 on 09-20-2005 at 08:54 PM

I'm staying with firefox, i'm to used to it.

RE: Opera is now... free. by _Humphreys on 09-20-2005 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Opera is not IE :/

I ment you've got:

Firefox - Clean and it's better than IE for sercurity issues. It's also updated. :D

Opera - Part Free and I really don't want to use it

IE - Gaping Holes

So i'd rather stick with Firefox, thanks for the info anyways.
RE: Opera is now... free. by evil_panda on 09-20-2005 at 09:48 PM

I cant change i love firefox...:banana:

RE: Opera is now... free. by Pyro on 09-20-2005 at 09:58 PM

i HATE firefox and when i tryed to download opera last time (when it cost money) it had ads and sypware! :blah:

so i use :banana: maxthon :banana: http://www.maxthon.com

RE: Opera is now... free. by Scratchy on 09-20-2005 at 10:26 PM

Another great browser release:

Firefox 1.0.7 now released.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/re...0Setup%201.0.7.exe

(The Firefox homepage isn't updated right now)

RE: RE: Opera is now... free. by Hank on 09-20-2005 at 11:42 PM

quote:

there prolly are none, in firefox. its "Symantec" having a bitch  ..look what they said about MAC OSX ..they failed on that  statement now there going to fail with there crap about Mozilla.  but makes you woonder if Billy paid a Symantec CEO to say that
RE: Opera is now... free. by dotNorma on 09-20-2005 at 11:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
    quote:Originally posted by ~INVASION~
    with all the new security flaws being found in firefox because of its recent wide spread popularity, opera might be the next browser everyone willl look to for safe web use

there prolly are none, in firefox. its "Symantec" having a bitch  ..look what they said about MAC OSX ..they failed on that  statement now there going to fail with there crap about Mozilla.  but makes you woonder if Billy paid a Symantec CEO to say that

Er..

Firstly, there are plenty in firefox. I mean, there is NO SUCH thing as flawless software. Every peice of software contains flaws. If you dont beleive me, check neowin news, firefox admits to the flaws :happy:.

Secondly, It is highly doughtable that Bill Gates would pay Symantec to say that. A huge company like Microsoft could take a major hit from leading companys like Apple and Mozilla. Bill Gates could be arrested for that immediatly, a risk I gaurentee you he isnt willing to take for a simple Symantec security warning. Besides, it would just cause more damage to him as either of the companies will and DID respond to the security report by comparing the flaws in their software to that of Mirosofts software. Not to mention the majority of Apple and Firefox users are well..."enlightened" computer users and know better. :happy:

On another topic, Opera is planning a GUI overhaul :grin: Thats the one thing I dont like about opera, the UI just isnt plesent or welcoming to me. Perhaps Merlin will be more appealing?
RE: Opera is now... free. by Lou on 09-21-2005 at 12:09 AM

Im going to be honest with you. I was a total firefox fan but I love opera:| its awesome without the ads!!! :banana:

[Im posting with it now btw]

RE: Opera is now... free. by Hank on 09-21-2005 at 12:13 AM

i dont like it cause it has a crap password manager in it  an i aint paying for a web browser,

quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
there are plenty in firefox.
'thats true there are, but there ARENT Heaps like Symantec claim s there are,
RE: Opera is now... free. by dotNorma on 09-21-2005 at 12:30 AM

quote:
i dont like it cause it has a crap password manager in it  an i aint paying for a web browser,
quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
there are plenty in firefox.
'thats true there are, but there ARENT Heaps like Symantec claim s there are,

There were 22 security flaws found by by Secunia and Mozilla stated they were all valid. And there are many more security flaws in firefox, they just havent been discovered yet. :-/

Dont get me wrong, my defualt browser is Mozilla Firefox and I strongly support Mozilla but to say that Symantec falsely accused firefox of having flaws is simply incorrect. :happy:
RE: Opera is now... free. by Hank on 09-21-2005 at 12:53 AM

well we can both have our opinions yer?.. thats urs, an i'll have mine eh

RE: RE: Opera is now... free. by segosa on 09-21-2005 at 05:55 AM

quote:

Have you actually read this thread? Or even the title? "Opera is now... free", do you know what that means? 8-)
RE: Opera is now... free. by Purity on 09-21-2005 at 06:01 AM

Opera I chose over firefox.  I hate firefox....:dodgy:

Love opera, but I like Maxthon better than both.

RE: Opera is now... free. by Hank on 09-21-2005 at 06:08 AM

doesnt maxathon Browser use the Gecko rendering engine by default?

RE: Opera is now... free. by linx05 on 09-21-2005 at 06:18 AM

quote:
doesnt maxathon Browser use the Gecko rendering engine by default?
It's Maxthon :P And no it uses the IE engine. But it does have the option to use the Gecko engine, though it is in testing stages. Version 2 will be coming out soon. We've been told it's REALLY good, total re-write of the program. Can't wait!
RE: Opera is now... free. by Hank on 09-21-2005 at 06:24 AM

aww okz.. iv'e never bothered to use it so i dont really know much about it..

RE: RE: Opera is now... free. by user2319 on 09-22-2005 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
quote:

its not "free"
Except Opera doesn't class as GNU Software which makes that point worthless.

No. Why don't you just read that page? That page describes why software should be free. You are confusing several things I think. The GNU project was and is made by people who believe software should be free. These people are talking about all software, not just GNU software. The GNU GPL is the license that rms and others made to be used by the GNU system, but it is widely used by non-GNU projects, which is okay. When -dt- says that the Opera browser is not free, he is right. According to the definition he linked to, Opera is not free software. (Read that page!)

Other things you might want to read:

Free as in free speech, not as in free beer!
RE: Opera is now... free. by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 06:09 PM

Opera is actually really good...im going to start using it but i will always use firefox too

RE: Opera is now... free. by Negro_Joe on 09-22-2005 at 06:10 PM

im considering  downloading it..is there any point though iv got firefox how much better is it..?

RE: Opera is now... free. by TylerG on 09-22-2005 at 06:47 PM

Is there anyway to change the font...It is the only thing I don't like about it:S

RE: Opera is now... free. by Fourjays on 09-22-2005 at 08:37 PM

I've used Opera, for browser compatibility purposes when designing a web site...

I dislike it though. Its bloated, takes 5 seconds to load (FF and IE appear almost instantly), it takes ages to load websites, particularly images which it seems to load as an after-thought; its UI is horrible, and for some very crazy reason, it refuses to display one of the most widely used fonts on the web - Helvetica, and replaces it with Tahoma...

No software is bullet-proof. Not even Linux, or Mac. Software always develop holes when put to the test, and if there aren't any immediately visible ones, hackers will soon find/create one...

RE: Opera is now... free. by Negro_Joe on 09-22-2005 at 10:17 PM

Well i wont be downloading it then, thanx youve probs saved me alot of hassle....:D

RE: Opera is now... free. by Millenium_edition on 09-23-2005 at 02:08 PM

it's not because it's free that you have to use it all of the sudden :-/
this is exactly what the company wanted to achieve. seems like most of the forum members helped them succeed (y)

(there were other ways to remove the banner than paying, so it was still pointless to keep it paying)

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
it takes ages to load websites
it's the fastest of the three :-/
well, on the rendering side. firefox & IE render the page as it's downloaded, where opera renders the page once the whole html documents (not the images) is downloaded. include that and the fact opera has the fastest rendering engine, and you get what you call "ages".

i still dislike it though (compared to firefox). i use it on slower computers though (lower memory usage, faster rendering).
RE: Opera is now... free. by Fourjays on 09-23-2005 at 02:46 PM

Maybe it isn't ages then, but it feels like it. When I was testing my VistaBlog template on it, it would sit there doing nothing for several seconds, then would start loading images...

I wondered why it wasn't doing anything. Like to be able to see the page loading, not wonder IF its loading...

RE: Opera is now... free. by WDZ on 09-23-2005 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
I Like to be able to see the page loading, not wonder IF its loading...
Sounds like Internet Explorer... ^o) :p

Opera has a nice status bar that gives you info and statistics while a page is loading. (y)

As for my opinion on Opera being free: this really sucks for the people who bought licenses. :dodgy:
RE: Opera is now... free. by L. Coyote on 09-23-2005 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
As for my opinion on Opera being free: this really sucks for the people who bought licenses. :dodgy:
:rofl: I can just imagine them buying a license and the next day it's free.
RE: Opera is now... free. by segosa on 09-23-2005 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

If you bought your license in the last 30 days you get a full refund.
RE: Opera is now... free. by Garndell on 09-23-2005 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
No. Why don't you just read that page? That page describes why software should be free. You are confusing several things I think. The GNU project was and is made by people who believe software should be free. These people are talking about all software, not just GNU software. The GNU GPL is the license that rms and others made to be used by the GNU system, but it is widely used by non-GNU projects, which is okay. When -dt- says that the Opera browser is not free, he is right. According to the definition he linked to, Opera is not free software. (Read that page!)

Other things you might want to read:

Free as in free speech, not as in free beer!

If -dt- says the world is flat does everyone agree with him?  Just because a group of people have 1 definition of "Free Software" does not make it apply to every piece of software you don't have to pay for.

Giving negative feedback for what is clearly fact is stupid if you ask me, so I returned the favour.
RE: Opera is now... free. by dotNorma on 09-24-2005 at 12:33 AM

Well, I figured why not give it a try.

I prefer Firefox for use but I wish it was as fast (not reendering pages but application wise) as Opera. Opera loaded much faster then Firefox for me.

RE: RE: Opera is now... free. by linx05 on 09-24-2005 at 05:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

:dodgy: Happened to me. I bought a year license for the Anti-Virus program NOD32. No joke, about an hour later I got an email from them saying I had won a years license. That really shit me off! lol

As for Opera being fast, it feels like it to me.
RE: Opera is now... free. by -dt- on 09-24-2005 at 06:35 AM

quote:
If -dt- says the world is flat does everyone agree with him?  Just because a group of people have 1 definition of "Free Software" does not make it apply to every piece of software you don't have to pay for.

Giving negative feedback for what is clearly fact is stupid if you ask me, so I returned the favour.
i said "free" not free god people you dont have to get so worked up about it.

and yes the world is flat btw :refuck:
RE: Opera is now... free. by Garndell on 09-24-2005 at 02:09 PM

quote:
quote:

I'll get worked up when people get the facts and not the tripe from Internet Groups.  Only the Opera for Linux is GNU Certified, the rest are under General Software Freedoms as defined by the Encyclopedia in your local library, NOT the Wiki.

Don't like it, fine just tolerate the facts instead of spreading lies.
RE: RE: Opera is now... free. by user2319 on 09-24-2005 at 03:11 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'll get worked up when people get the facts and not the tripe from Internet Groups.  Only the Opera for Linux is GNU Certified, the rest are under General Software Freedoms as defined by the Encyclopedia in your local library, NOT the Wiki.

Don't like it, fine just tolerate the facts instead of spreading lies.

What are you talking about? 'Opera for Linux' can't be 'GNU certified' (whatever that is), because:

Get your facts straight please.
RE: Opera is now... free. by emit on 09-24-2005 at 11:04 PM

For all Firefox's claim of being "free" and GNU compliant, where is its FreeBSD version?
Opera loads a whole 15 seconds quicker than firefox; it remembers tabs by default; it's a meg smaller to download the installation file; it's 5 meg less of hard disk space when installed; its transfer manager is much more intuitive than Firefox's; it has 200 more skins than Firefox; it uses less memory than FireFox to load hi-res/large pictures; it is more efficient with tabs/memory than FireFox; the mouse gestures are far superior; Opera has a lot built in that requires extensions for FireFox; Opera has more available page display area than firefox; FireFox doesn't even show the tab bar by default (for something that is touted as a tabbed browser thats a tad retarded); Opera's email client is so much less bloat than Thunderbird and having Thunderbird+FireFox running is such a memory hog compared to just having Opera running with its built in email client; and Thunderbird's rss shit is a joke.
To be honest why do they duplicate 95% of FireFox in Thunderbird? Shocking really. That's real bloat. I've heard that Opera renders HTML better than FireFox too, but since I'm not a web designer I have no idea if that is true - the rest I have experienced for myself.

RE: Opera is now... free. by Emjaybee on 09-25-2005 at 04:34 AM

Opera is much better than firefox, I dont know what world you are all living in.

It is the best performing browser as tested. http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Its the most configurable browser.

Its the most secure (so far) but script kiddies will start trying to hack it soon.

Its the prettiest.

Firefox is only the "COOL" browser that all the Microsoft haters got on board with. Most of firefoxes features were borrowed from opera anyway.

RE: Opera is now... free. by -dt- on 09-25-2005 at 04:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Emjaybee

Its the most configurable browser.
thats one pure lie , firefox is mostly XUL which you can change hell easy just crack open browser.xul and change it randomly , firefox is the most configurable browser.
RE: Opera is now... free. by Emjaybee on 09-25-2005 at 06:12 AM

oh right, I should have said using a GUI.

Sorry

RE: RE: Opera is now... free. by segosa on 09-25-2005 at 07:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Emjaybee
oh right, I should have said using a GUI.

Sorry

Have you even TRIED configuring some parts of Opera? The search queries, the filters, etc? You NEED to manually edit the ini files. There are about a million in the Opera directory.

(No, I'm not saying this is a bad thing)