Shoutbox

RITA... not again a Katrina - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: RITA... not again a Katrina (/showthread.php?tid=50752)

RITA... not again a Katrina by shine on 09-21-2005 at 01:21 PM

Hurricane RITA has turned to be a Category 4 and is heading for Gulf Coast :|

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Gray Marks on 09-21-2005 at 01:54 PM

upgraded to category 4 already...i live in Texas and now watching where it is going.God bless Texas.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by MeEtc on 09-21-2005 at 02:49 PM

My god, this thing is growing fast. This time yesterday it was ust upgraded to a Cat. 1. It was only a 3 when I woke up (5 hrs ago?)
I've lived through Juan and White Juan, and pity anyone who must deal with this horor

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Pr0xY on 09-21-2005 at 03:05 PM

Dude the Gulf Coast is having shit for luck.  Someone down there must have pissed off God.  :/

* Pr0xY prays for their safety....

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by _Humphreys on 09-21-2005 at 03:37 PM

Ah man this is bad...I hope it doesn't cause major damage.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Anubis on 09-21-2005 at 03:43 PM

Good luck to all locations effected. And we'll all hope and pray for the best.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Negro_Joe on 09-21-2005 at 07:07 PM

That sucks.....im waiting for something to happen over here now....

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Jurassic_Ice on 09-21-2005 at 07:16 PM

dont you guys think by now the people who live down there dont have the urge to move??? i mean comon, 4-5 hurricanes average every year, many people lost many belongings, i dont understand why people stil live there. because its there home? been there for so long they dont wanna move? i understand that, but i mean dont they see the danger that is coming?

anyway rita is heading to texas, and new orleans will get some of it, but like 75mm of rain, that is alot for new orleans....

cuba really got hit hard, so did florida.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by evil_panda on 09-21-2005 at 07:55 PM

Thats really upsetting i serpose were really lucky not haveing natural desasters like that over here in England...:(

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Stigmata on 09-21-2005 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
That sucks.....im waiting for something to happen over here now....

hurricane prone england :rolleyes:
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by expert on 09-21-2005 at 07:59 PM

regina has only had one tornado nd it was the worst in canada

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by RebelSean on 09-21-2005 at 08:54 PM

It is now a Category 5 huricane, and is expected to hit the Galviston Texas region. This huricane is huge.

RE: RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Jurassic_Ice on 09-21-2005 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by expert
regina has only had one tornado nd it was the worst in canada

dont you remember the hurricane that hit Nova Scotia in 2004? or was it 2003? I forget the name of the hurricane, but it did alot of damage.
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-21-2005 at 09:11 PM

well as you know, hurricane Rita is coming for the Houston area,  which I am in...its pretty exciting ...but can be scarey.  I live north of houston so my house wont get total destruction like galveston might get...there are other members of this communtiy that live in this area so i hope we will all be safe so pray for us and all those who are going to be included in the hurricane's path.  the last time we got a hurricane like this was before i was born in 1984, hurricane alysha,  with was acarey for my parents and 2 older sisters so i havnt been through a hurricane like this one will be but only through small hurricanes so im sure the power will go off.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Purity on 09-21-2005 at 09:42 PM

I told you the world is falling apart. :rolleyes:

Everyone remember that i said, the world will in 2012.  Don't ask about it!!!

This is bad.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by TylerG on 09-21-2005 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
well as you know, hurricane Rita is coming for the Houston area,  which I am in...its pretty exciting ...but can be scarey.  I live north of houston so my house wont get total destruction like galveston might get...there are other members of this communtiy that live in this area so i hope we will all be safe so pray for us and all those who are going to be included in the hurricane's path.  the last time we got a hurricane like this was before i was born in 1984, hurricane alysha,  with was acarey for my parents and 2 older sisters so i havnt been through a hurricane like this one will be but only through small hurricanes so im sure the power will go off.
Yeah, we live me and mr5mr live like 100 miles from the coast and we are supposed to get 75+ winds:S  Please wish us goodluck.  I am just going to listen to my ipod.  Got to go prepare, if I am not on for acouple weeks you know why:S
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by dotNorma on 09-21-2005 at 11:39 PM

Its a catagory five hurricane now. :-/

All the Louisianna huricane victims came to Houston and now there is an even worse Hurricane coming to Houston! Sucks for them. :sad:

Here in Conroe we are expected to get 90miles-per-hour winds. Hopefully alot of fun will be had, but then on the other side we could get screwed. We are going to go cannooing down the street when it floods :dodgy: :grin:

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-21-2005 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
if I am not on for acouple weeks you know why
obviousy we probably wont have power so ya...im going to get so boed if there is no power for a long time

quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
Here in Conroe we are expected to get 90miles-per-hour winds. Hopefully alot of fun will be had, but then on the other side we could get screwed. We are going to go cannooing down the street when it floods
ya its going to suck alittle but it will be fun :)  and ya we can get randall's canoes and go around the 'hood
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by flame_head1313 on 09-22-2005 at 12:20 AM

don't be dumb get your ass out of there asap so u don't get killed!!  Good Luck hope to talk to you guys!

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Weyzza on 09-22-2005 at 12:20 AM

I hope that they all are gonna be alright.

I just got back from the gas station preparing for the price hike :(
[Image: map_spectrop06_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg]

:|
That's one giant hurricane...

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flame_head1313
don't be dumb get your ass out of there asap so u don't get killed!! 
well its not like we live right on the coast we are about 100 miles from it so it wont be super super super bad.
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by TylerG on 09-22-2005 at 12:23 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flame_head1313
don't be dumb get your ass out of there asap so u don't get killed!! 
well its not like we live right on the coast we are about 100 miles from it so it wont be super super super bad.
Yeah it won't be super super super bad, just super super bad:P
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 12:27 AM

ya just super super bad.

that is where conroe is about at.
[Image: mapspectrop06ltst6nhenus600x40.th.jpg]

shoot...what should i do with all my computers???

and ur computer tyler...i guess it will be ok ...and ur brother's mac mini...i guess that should be ok too bt i would do somthing with is just in case.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Dane on 09-22-2005 at 01:17 AM

Category 5 now :p...I didnt see anyone mention the upgrade, anyway, if this leads to another TV telethon interupting all networks i'm moving to canada :P.

J/K, but yeah, No one should live near the coasts...too dangerous.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Weyzza on 09-22-2005 at 01:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Category 5 now :p...I didnt see anyone mention the upgrade, anyway, if this leads to another TV telethon interupting all networks i'm moving to canada :P.

J/K, but yeah, No one should live near the coasts...too dangerous.
Category 5, the highest scale according to this site: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml

I live about 2 miles from the coast, but I have nothing to fear about.
Yeah, the Golden State is so cool, but I kinda dislike the Republican governor :dodgy:
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Jurassic_Ice on 09-22-2005 at 02:15 AM

I just spent $70 (Canadian) filling up my van :@

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by lordy on 09-22-2005 at 02:20 AM

:( i am so lucky living in australia, we only get little cyclones compared to what americans get!! we get some ncie storms here though :D i love em. should see the lightening:D

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by dotNorma on 09-22-2005 at 02:23 AM

Man the world isnt having much luck now days :-/

Hopefully we will sustain power for a while, Im really depending on designing Normadesigns/Dempseysoftware and coding a Normabot to keep me busy when we are stuck inside.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 02:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
Man the world isnt having much luck now days
nope
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by expert on 09-22-2005 at 05:23 AM

this is goign to be huge and gas is going to be 5$ a gallon :|

RE: RE: RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by MeEtc on 09-22-2005 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic_Ice

dont you remember the hurricane that hit Nova Scotia in 2004? or was it 2003? I forget the name of the hurricane, but it did alot of damage.

September 2003. I lived through it. It's name was Juan, then we got hit by a monsterous blizzard that winter and dubbed it 'White Juan'
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by RebelSean on 09-22-2005 at 11:58 AM

Rita has been recorded as the third most intense huricane to hit the U.S.

1.3million people on the move throughout Texas, and that number is expected to double as today goes by.

And expert, I HIGHTLY doubt that this huricane will increase gas by ~$3.00. When Katrina hit, the national average went up some $.60 cents I do believe.

RE: RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by MeEtc on 09-22-2005 at 12:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX

Correction: Third most intense huricane ever recorded since records were recorded ANYWHERE
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by shine on 09-22-2005 at 12:09 PM

Not again.....the oil prices!!! :(

I was checking news in middle east sites and they have quotes that this is due to the bad deeds of US in Iraq :lol:

I stay neutral :p

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 01:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Correction: Third most intense huricane ever recorded since records were recorded ANYWHERE
ya i know thats horrible... the storm surges for the galveston area are supposed to be 20 feet!
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Jurassic_Ice on 09-22-2005 at 01:54 PM

Because we are really messing up the environment with pollution and all the other nonsence crap, and global warming, there are going to be a lot more hurricanes every year, which really sucks for carribean residents and southern usa.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic_Ice
Because we are really messing up the environment with pollution and all the other nonsence crap, and global warming, there are going to be a lot more hurricanes every year, which really sucks for carribean residents and southern usa.
ya it odes..every year there are more and stronger hurricanes :(
RE: RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by MeEtc on 09-22-2005 at 04:05 PM

quote:
ya i know thats horrible... the storm surges for the galveston area are supposed to be 20 feet!

Well, according to CNN, The storm surge has potential to completly put Galveston under water. Galveston is really just an island really close to land, and is quite close to sea level

See?

[Image: Galveston.jpg]

Galveston may not even exist after the storm if Rita blows this sand bar away.
RE: RE: RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:
quote:

Well, according to CNN, The storm surge has potential to completly put Galveston under water. Galveston is really just an island really close to land, and is quite close to sea level

See?

[Image: Galveston.jpg]

Galveston may not even exist after the storm if Rita blows this sand bar away.

ya but now they eye is predicted to hit a little more eastern as time goes on so its not a direct hit on galveston anymore i think
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by MeEtc on 09-22-2005 at 04:08 PM

Doesn't matter. The waves and surge will wash this town away, even if the eye passes a hundred miles away

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 04:09 PM

ya i know the radius of the storm is like 170 miles or somthing like that

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by dotNorma on 09-22-2005 at 04:17 PM

quote:

1.3million people on the move throughout Texas, and that number is expected to double as today goes by.

And expert, I HIGHTLY doubt that this huricane will increase gas by ~$3.00. When Katrina hit, the national average went up some $.60 cents I do believe.

The gas prices were already predicted to be $5 to $6 by the end of this year anyway. Texas is the biggest producer of oil in the USA (behind Alaska but they are like not even near the USA), this hurricane seriously cant be good for gas prices.

The entire world should just cancel out all debt to each other.
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-22-2005 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Norma
(behind Alaska but they are like not even near the USA),
well alaska has oil but they generally dont drill for oil there b/c of of they want to preserve the natural surroundings
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by TylerG on 09-22-2005 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Doesn't matter. The waves and surge will wash this town away, even if the eye passes a hundred miles away
Galveston will still be there:P There is a like a 15 ft. conrete sea wall, and all the building are on stilts.  Galveston learned their lesson from the 1900 hurricane.

quote:
mputer tyler...i guess it will be ok ...and ur brother's mac mini...i guess that should be ok too bt i would do somthing with is just in case.
Yeah we are going to put my computer and my brothers mac in a closet downstairs.  Then if water gets in our house we are going to put in my upstairs bathroom, since there are no windows in there...
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Plik on 09-22-2005 at 06:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
quote:
Galveston will still be there:P There is a like a 15 ft. conrete sea wall, and all the building are on stilts.  Galveston learned their lesson from the 1900 hurricane.

Currently the waves at the center of the hurricane are over 40ft. http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by TylerG on 09-22-2005 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman

Currently the waves at the center of the hurricane are over 40ft. http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html
But when Rita starts reaching shallower waters that aren't as warm it is going to loose some of its strength, I doubt they will be that big when it hits galveston.
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by RebelSean on 09-23-2005 at 02:50 AM

quote:
quote:

The gas prices were already predicted to be $5 to $6 by the end of this year anyway. Texas is the biggest producer of oil in the USA (behind Alaska but they are like not even near the USA), this hurricane seriously cant be good for gas prices.

The entire world should just cancel out all debt to each other.

It was also predicted years back that we'd run out of gas a a few years ago. Did that happen? No. Do I think gas will sky rocket to $5-$6? No. Why? Because gas has only been increasing, like what, $.30-$.55 a year? I highly doubt that gas would quaddruple, especialy when it's at $2.69 a gallon here in Tennessee.

Back ontopic, I just called a good friend who lives about 120 miles away from Galviston(sp?), and she said it was windy as hell already, and it isn't soposed to make landfall till late tommorrow night/saturday morning.
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Jurassic_Ice on 09-23-2005 at 03:43 AM

Gas stations all over Ottawa (Canada) are FILLED up with cars, going all the way to the roads. Gas is at 97.5 and no one is takin any chances, theyr all filling up before it hits $2.00 per Litre....which is going to be Horrible.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-23-2005 at 03:42 PM

the hurricane is almost here! and its lowered to a cat 4 and is almost down to a cat 3 the windows of it are currently 135 mph

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by Pr0xY on 09-23-2005 at 03:55 PM

quote:
this is going to be huge and gas is going to be 5$ a gallon :|
Yeah that will suck for everyone on the southern part of the United States.  I'm glad Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan gets there gas from Canada. 

Actually, some states are under investigation now after raising their gas prices during Hurricane Katrina.  The hurricane should have had no effect on gas prices for the northern part of the US, since there was no hurricane in Canada ;) .  I hate when they price gouge it for BS reasons. :/

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by RebelSean on 09-23-2005 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
quote:
this is going to be huge and gas is going to be 5$ a gallon :|
Yeah that will suck for everyone on the southern part of the United States.  I'm glad Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan gets there gas from Canada. 

Actually, some states are under investigation now after raising their gas prices during Hurricane Katrina.  The hurricane should have had no effect on gas prices for the northern part of the US, since there was no hurricane in Canada ;) .  I hate when they price gouge it for BS reasons. :/

Well you have to think of it like this. Most of the South's oil comes from the refineries in the gulf. The refineries were shut down for what, like 5 or 6 days? When something that huge happens, you have to start getting oil from the northern companies. And when you do, the oil prices in the north will rise.

I'd love to own a oil company, would be a multi-billionare.
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-24-2005 at 01:12 AM

ok well the first bands of rita are here ...i wish the hurricane would be stronger though.  we tylerG and his brother all set our computers in our houses downstairs so the computers dont get ruined so it pretty cool, we are going to be on all night until the power goes out which i hope it does!

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by RebelSean on 09-24-2005 at 02:05 AM

You want it to be stronger? What? Why? Are you crazy? Did you smoke crack before you thought of that? You better be kidding. I just talked to my friend who lives about a hour away from the coast, and she said there expecting it to be a cat 2 when it gets to her place, and it's soposed to drop ~35in of rain. But yet, you want it to be stronger? How naive.

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by dotNorma on 09-24-2005 at 02:16 AM

quote:
You want it to be stronger? What? Why? Are you crazy? Did you smoke crack before you thought of that? You better be kidding. I just talked to my friend who lives about a hour away from the coast, and she said there expecting it to be a cat 2 when it gets to her place, and it's soposed to drop ~35in of rain. But yet, you want it to be stronger? How naive.

Because its something out of the ordinary. Its weird, but its kind of exciting that something is finally happening here in conroe. They built us up for a catagory five hurricane coming right for us and we were all kind of excited and then they said it wasnt coming for us and it was a catagory two. I mean, however terrible it might be, it is indeed exciting.
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by TylerG on 09-24-2005 at 02:18 AM

quote:
quote:

Because its something out of the ordinary. Its weird, but its kind of exciting that something is finally happening here in conroe. They built us up for a catagory five hurricane coming right for us and we were all kind of excited and then they said it wasnt coming for us and it was a catagory two. I mean, however terrible it might be, it is indeed exciting.
Exactly...I know it sounds stupid but I can't help it:S

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by [MR] on 09-24-2005 at 02:29 AM

agreed

found out that all the hard stuff is supposed to hit at 3 am

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by shine on 09-24-2005 at 10:08 AM

New Orleons flooded again :sad:

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by L. Coyote on 09-24-2005 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Reminds me how I was expecting Frances to pass by where I was, and the silly just went the other way... :P Ever since Andrew, I've felt interest in hurricanes, although it's sad how they destroy everything...

Oh, well, it's like that with hurricanes... You can't really tell if they're going to keep strong or get weaker.

One thing that disgusted me about the local news was a phrase a reporter said:

We'll keep you up to date about Hurricane Rita. We sent people to the US to keep you informed in what promises to be a disaster of a big scale.

WTF? Promises? I was half-expecting the woman to say: "you'll see people being blown away, buildings ripped off, destruction everywhere, etc." :s
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by RebelSean on 09-24-2005 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shine
New Orleons flooded again :sad:

5 more feet of water and rising.

Anyone catch on the news were it made land fall at?
RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by DebsyUk21 on 09-24-2005 at 10:50 PM

Oh no another hurricane over there, why do people just come and live over here lol, its horrible over there:(:|

RE: RITA... not again a Katrina by RebelSean on 09-24-2005 at 10:52 PM

Move because of huricanes :undecided:? That doesn't seem like a well thought idea, dontcha think?