Shoutbox

Belgium on friday :) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Belgium on friday :) (/showthread.php?tid=50763)

Belgium on friday :) by spokes on 09-21-2005 at 07:26 PM

OK, with the school, im going to belgium, which means going through france aswell, that's 2 countries i've never set foot in for only £55 (but its only a day trip)

We're going to Ypres to have a look at the trenches from world war 1.

Anyway, anyone got any info on belgium? Do they speak german or french, cos im quite good at german.

Anyway i can't wait, i gotta wake up at 5AM in the morning though to meet at the school to get on the coach, and i'm worried because my history teacher said my passport photo would be okay, even though in that i have hair down to my shoulders, where as now my hair is about 4cm long!

RE: Belgium on friday :) by Yousef on 09-21-2005 at 07:30 PM

They speak French in the south ('Wallonie') and Dutch in the north ('Vlamingen')...
Be sure to taste some belgian-french-frites there ;) And chocalates!

RE: Belgium on friday :) by user27089 on 09-21-2005 at 07:31 PM

People in Belgium speak French I think, and others speak dutch/german...

I'm not sure, I think some areas have their own language :S...

RE: Belgium on friday :) by spokes on 09-21-2005 at 07:32 PM

And is Ypres in the north or south? or the middle?

And is dutch similar to german?

Yea, i'll try them if i can, anything else i should try?

RE: Belgium on friday :) by user27089 on 09-21-2005 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spokes
anything else i should try?

Looking at a map :lol:

:-#... Sorry, I just had to say it...

Ypres is at the South, or it should be... As most of the trench warfare in World War One went on in the North France/South Belgium area... aka Flanders...
RE: Belgium on friday :) by Tochjo on 09-21-2005 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Similar yes, however, you will not be able to understand it or make yourself be understood in Dutch with your knowledge of German, it's like Spanish and Portuguese. Nonetheless many people in Belgian are likely to speak English or German.
RE: Belgium on friday :) by Millenium_edition on 09-21-2005 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Ypres is at the South, or it should be... As most of the trench warfare in World War One went on in the North France/South Belgium area... aka Flanders...
it is part of Flanders, where they speak dutch, only difference is that flanders is not the south... it is the north side of belgium

map!
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/co...ge2.x=9&image2.y=3
RE: Belgium on friday :) by Yousef on 09-21-2005 at 07:51 PM

quote:
I prefer to speak English in Germany, even though I'm dutch ><
RE: Belgium on friday :) by Kryptonate on 09-21-2005 at 08:25 PM

Ypres or Ieper (the dutch name for the city) is indeed located in the north parth of Belgium, in West-Flanders. They speak "West-Vlaams" over there. You won't get far with your knowledge of German :p. Even for us in East-Flanders it's sometimes hard to understand them if they speak in their dialect.

Dutch and german aren't that similar to each other like a lot of people think. There are indeed words that are pretty much the same, but often they have different meanings. 

RE: Belgium on friday :) by spokes on 09-22-2005 at 06:32 AM

I'm not going to speak it over there, i was just gonna see if i could read signs etc.

RE: Belgium on friday :) by saralk on 09-22-2005 at 08:10 PM

go and meet M_E!

RE: Belgium on friday :) by King For A Day on 09-22-2005 at 09:02 PM

quote:
OK, with the school, im going to belgium, which means going through france aswell, that's 2 countries i've never set foot in for only £55 (but its only a day trip)

We're going to Ypres to have a look at the trenches from world war 1.

Anyway, anyone got any info on belgium? Do they speak german or french, cos im quite good at german.

Anyway i can't wait, i gotta wake up at 5AM in the morning though to meet at the school to get on the coach, and i'm worried because my history teacher said my passport photo would be okay, even though in that i have hair down to my shoulders, where as now my hair is about 4cm long!

thats lucky our school runs that trip every two years and my year missed out totally!! but i wasn that botherd cause ive already been myslef and probly learnt more cause i got longer than they would have done.

why you only doing a day? our school did nearly 5 days with a few differant things, would have been great
RE: Belgium on friday :) by spokes on 09-22-2005 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by King For A Day
why you only doing a day?

scabby school :cheesy:
RE: Belgium on friday :) by lizard.boy on 09-23-2005 at 12:38 AM

wow, thats kinda weird, we were just learning about Ypres in history today.

haha yesterday we got to eat spam and apple jelly on stale bread (aka trench-food)

i wonder how much different the standpoints are with history if your studying in canada or germany or something, i'm guessing germans think the allies are the bad side or something similar.

RE: Belgium on friday :) by spokes on 09-24-2005 at 08:06 AM

Just got back this morning, was so cool, and warm. I'll post some pictures later

<3 Belgian Waffles with Strawberry Sauce and Belgian Fries and Belgian Chocolate