Shoutbox

adware thret found in non-sponcered version - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: adware thret found in non-sponcered version (/showthread.php?tid=50816)

adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-23-2005 at 10:20 AM

well acording to a site that i went to, it seams the msn messenger plus has a lop.com infection loaded with it.
causing alot of unknown behavor problems with internet explorer and other programs.

This have been proven by me because I have had this problem with msn messenger plus before, and i have only found out this problem because i went to the site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com
to find out why some virus, adware and spybots were causing some internet explorer problems as i said before thats when i discovered this problem.

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by _Humphreys on 09-23-2005 at 10:23 AM

Plus! does not have spyware nor does it have viruses or a trojan. It has ad-aware which you accidently installed with Plus!.

Please read this thread for more info:

How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by L. Coyote on 09-23-2005 at 10:34 AM

Messenger Plus! has an optional sponsor program (which is a customized version of Lop). :)

[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]
(sponsor agreement screen)

If you installed it by accident, you can follow these simple steps to remove it (also posted by Carltos Cool).

Keep in mind that Microsoft Anti-Spyware alerts the user even when they didn't install the sponsor. If this is the case, you can opt to ignore Messenger Plus!, so that it doesn't affect its functionality.

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-23-2005 at 10:40 AM

i never did install it by accident i even clicked on "install with out sponsors"

so there was no accident

here check through this fourm site: http://boards.cexx.org/posting.php?mode=topicreview&t=8692 and then we will see the problem

the internet log there is mine from when i had this problem

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by _Humphreys on 09-23-2005 at 10:49 AM

Then either you have downloaded some virus/torjan/spyware/adware elsewhere or you just think that Plus! has them as the Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program is saying so (which is a totally false detection as Leo said).

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-23-2005 at 10:51 AM

i did not even use "Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program" to find it

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by _Humphreys on 09-23-2005 at 10:53 AM

As I said before you will have downloaded some other thing elsewhere not from Plus!. When you install Plus! without the sponsor it installs nothing except Plus!.

P.S.

I searched the 'bleepingcomputer.com forum' and even they state there is NO other thing installed with Plus! apart from the adware sponsor and this is only when you check it to be installed with plus!.

quote:
Originally posted by bleepingcomputer forums

You have a LOP infection caused by installing Messenger Plus along with the Sponsor program tied to it.
Uninstall Messenger Plus via Add/Remove in your control panel.

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-23-2005 at 10:57 AM

well then why did my internet log say otherwise.

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by matty on 09-23-2005 at 11:06 AM

I am going to be honest with you. Patchou has posted the source code that it uses when it comes to selecting the Sponsor to be installed. So its impossible for Plus! to install the sponsor if you opt out of it. This seems to just be a coincidence. Its getting annoying everyone using Plus! as a fall back because their computer doesn't work.

So annoying...

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-23-2005 at 11:39 AM

mabye but that still dose not explain the log entries on the fourm site: http://boards.cexx.org/posting.php?mode=topicreview&t=8692 showing that the problem may be linked with msn messenger plus

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by _Humphreys on 09-23-2005 at 11:41 AM

Sigh if you could read the guy even states that the other dude installed the sponsor.

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-23-2005 at 11:46 AM

well i did not install sponcers i only clicked on 2 thing 1. was "install without sponcers then 2. install

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by _Humphreys on 09-23-2005 at 11:48 AM

Then you wil have downloaded some other non-/malicous software from somewhere else

Someone please close this.

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-23-2005 at 11:52 AM

well i tried, damm these computer virus

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by Patchou on 09-23-2005 at 10:57 PM

Messenger Plus! appears in your log simply because it's a process that's running on your computer, it does not mean that it's associated with any problem you may have. If you opted not to install the sponsor then you know you can search for your problems somewhere else but in Plus! :).

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by wooby_6 on 09-24-2005 at 01:17 AM

mabye,

I'll look into this problem a little more.

RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by user27089 on 09-24-2005 at 02:32 AM

Why do you have to look into it anymore, we've given you all of the info you need to understand that Messenger Plus! hasn't got an adware threat unless you install the sponsor, it is simply sending a log to the server or whatever, you can turn off this feature in Plus! > Preferences > General Options > Miscellaneous.

RE: RE: adware thret found in non-sponcered version by rav0 on 09-24-2005 at 03:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wooby_6
mabye but that still dose not explain the log entries on the fourm site: http://boards.cexx.org/posting.php?mode=topicreview&t=8692 showing that the problem may be linked with msn messenger plus
I can't see where it shows that the adware is linked to Messenger Plus! I can see some entries for Messenger Plus! which are the ones that are there for normal operation.