Shoutbox

WinMX P2P Network Shutdown - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: WinMX P2P Network Shutdown (/showthread.php?tid=50839)

WinMX P2P Network Shutdown by Purity on 09-23-2005 at 07:21 PM

WinMX P2P Network Shutdown

quote:
Developed by FrontCode Technologies, WinMX had become one of the premier P2P networks at its prime. After Napster and Scour were eliminated from file sharing, WinMX continued to take up the slack. Now it seems that its heyday is finally over.   

The WinMX PNP Network, the FrontCode.com homepage, and the WinMX.com homepage are all offline. On September 13, 2005, seven P2P firms (including WinMX) were served with a letter from the RIAA ordering them to cease infringing operations immediately.   

However, this may not be the final demise of WinMX, because if you do a DNS whois for "WinMX.com", the owner is now "WinMX Technology Associates" instead of FrontCode Technologies, as it was before. It may be back in some form or another.

I hope limewire isn't next... :-/
RE: WinMX P2P Network Shutdown by user27089 on 09-23-2005 at 07:30 PM

I doubt limewire will ever shut down, you now have to pay for it anyway, so i'm sure it is a contributor in the music business, so the pro users shouldn't be done...

RE: WinMX P2P Network Shutdown by Millenium_edition on 09-23-2005 at 07:30 PM

the networks aren't responsable for this.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I doubt limewire will ever shut down, you now have to pay for it anyway, so i'm sure it is a contributor in the music business, so the pro users shouldn't be done...
where do you have to pay? (plus, the artists don't gain a dime of what the pro version rewards)
RE: WinMX P2P Network Shutdown by Anubis on 09-23-2005 at 07:44 PM

Yeah LimeWire will likely be the next P2P to vansih, the ones that will be harder to shut down are the ed2k and torrent based P2Ps since due to the way they work even with legal action its extremely able to adapt to it being attempted to shut down.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

It's not a matter of "you paying". For it to be legal to download the music you must be paying the artist and record company not any old developer of limewire who doesn't let it benefit the artists and record companys which is what the whole problem with P2Ps is about.
RE: WinMX P2P Network Shutdown by user27089 on 09-23-2005 at 08:01 PM

But I thought LimeWire paid the music companies the money, just like Napster etc...

RE: WinMX P2P Network Shutdown by hmaster on 09-23-2005 at 08:06 PM

eDonkey or w/e has gone down too?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/22/p2p_networks_darken/
Meh they were both crap.
Limewire however is good and should not be shutdown :P

RE: WinMX P2P Network Shutdown by Millenium_edition on 09-23-2005 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
Meh they were both crap.
edonkey is by far better than limewire if you have a good upstream... :o