Shoutbox

MSG Plus virus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: MSG Plus virus? (/showthread.php?tid=50907)

MSG Plus virus? by phX_x on 09-25-2005 at 11:29 AM

is msgplus a virus? my 'avast' picks it up as a virus now :s

RE: MSG Plus virus? by shine on 09-25-2005 at 11:41 AM

There is a virus posing as MSg Plus..may be you have that. :undecided:

Explain more pls

Edit: Assure you that its is not a Virus. Other wise you would not find us here will you? :grin:

Download Plus from official sites only.

RE: MSG Plus virus? by John Anderton on 09-25-2005 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by phX_x
is msgplus a virus?
Oh boy not again |-)

Erm ... phX_x, msg plus contains no virus or spyware It does contain an optional adware that helps the creator (patchou) get some money for the work he is doing and thus keeping the software free.

I suggesst you post the name of the virus that avast is picking up. I think the cause of the problem is something else cause msgplus has no viruses

quote:
Originally posted by shine
Edit: Assure you that its is not a Virus. Other wise you would not find us here will you?

Download Plus from official sites only.
True (Y)
:grin:

http://www.msgplus.net/download.php ->  Messenger Plus! 3.54.132

An updated version is comming up i think in 2 days (on tuesday here .... and in the american pennisula its monday *-))
RE: MSG Plus virus? by Anubis on 09-25-2005 at 11:49 AM

Some Antivirus software such as Avast picks up Messenger Plus as a virus. However this notification is false and likely caused by the optional sponsor program that comes with Plus.
There is no virus in Messenger Plus and if it was, believe me it wouldn't get the support it does.
I suggest you disable your antivirus, install Messenger Plus (without the sponsor program, at
[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]
this screen
click "I refuse to give my support..." and follow the installer.
After installation, re-enable your antivirus software and you should experience no trouble.
Avast also has problems with this sort of thing a lot (picking up software to be viruses when in fact it is not). It may be in your best interest to change to another AntiVirus software such as Norton or McAfee with less flaws.

RE: MSG Plus virus? by John Anderton on 09-25-2005 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Some Antivirus software such as Avast picks up Messenger Plus as a virus. However this notification is false and likely caused by the optional sponsor program that comes with Plus.
There is no virus in Messenger Plus and if it was, believe me it wouldn't get the support it does.
I suggest you disable your antivirus, install Messenger Plus (without the sponsor program, at
[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]
this screen
click "I refuse to give my support..." and follow the installer.
After installation, re-enable your antivirus software and you should experience no trouble.
Avast also has problems with this sort of thing a lot (picking up software to be viruses when in fact it is not). It may be in your best interest to change to another AntiVirus software such as Norton or McAfee with less flaws.
Yeah (Y) But one more thing ... thats a screenie of v. 3.25 .... i took a newer screenie of v 3.54 for sponsor support at MpSupport.Net

Just thought i should let ya'll know :)
And shouldnt someone tell them that mp itself isnt a virus ..... the same thing said to microsoft ?? Well another petition isnt reqd as ppl signed up for this so the same can be said there :)
RE: MSG Plus virus? by phX_x on 09-25-2005 at 11:59 AM

Nonono, It installs, after that it picks up a virus called

'Win32 Trojan::MSGPlusSetup or something, shall i delete it and reinstall it to show you a screenshot

RE: MSG Plus virus? by shine on 09-25-2005 at 12:20 PM

Check this..does your issue has something to do with it?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=48...d=511355#pid511355

RE: MSG Plus virus? by phX_x on 09-25-2005 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shine
Check this..does your issue has something to do with it?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=48...d=511355#pid511355
no it does not, i didnt download that. Downloaded it from here.
RE: MSG Plus virus? by L. Coyote on 09-25-2005 at 12:38 PM

quote:
no it does not, i didnt download that. Downloaded it from here.

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

It's just a false notification, nothing to worry about.
RE: MSG Plus virus? by John Anderton on 09-25-2005 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Downloaded it from here.
Here where :S i dont see a link there O.o
RE: RE: MSG Plus virus? by Supersonicdarky on 09-25-2005 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Downloaded it from here.
Here where :S i dont see a link there O.o

he means from official download
RE: MSG Plus virus? by cyberlords on 09-25-2005 at 02:04 PM

Win32 Trojan::MSGPlusSetup? no, is a different add-on, it does not have nexus with the msgplus

RE: RE: MSG Plus virus? by Anubis on 09-25-2005 at 02:53 PM

quote:
Nonono, It installs, after that it picks up a virus called

'Win32 Trojan::MSGPlusSetup or something, shall i delete it and reinstall it to show you a screenshot

Ok, well disable the antivirus, download and install Messenger Plus (again like I said before do not accept the sponsor program), then delete the installer file you downloaded and reboot your PC (and I mean actually turn off your PC and put it back on). Does the warning still appear?

If the warning does still appear; the problem is the responsibility of Avast to fix, you could e-mail Avast on support@avast.com and explain the problem and explain that there in no virus in Messenger Plus but a very optional sponsor program. And perhaps Patchou would also be kind enough to send an e-mail to them. All these false notifications for Messenger Plus are becoming a problem.