Shoutbox

A forum Spell checker. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: A forum Spell checker. (/showthread.php?tid=50923)

A forum Spell checker. by Nathan on 09-25-2005 at 06:44 PM

Hiya,
ive noticed on a couple of forums that they have a little icon [Image: attachment.php?pid=540672] which means it checks it for you.
I think it'd be a great add-on because everyone tells newbies to improve there punctuation and spelling.
If you had this it'd problay make things easier to read!
I know it's probaly the lazy way but it'd be a good idea.
Thanks

RE: A forum Spell checker. by RebelSean on 09-25-2005 at 06:47 PM

Ddunk, EvilSeph, ShawnZ, and the rest of the gang on IRC would have a field day with this.

About the idea, I doubt that many people would use it. As long as the post is readable, and you can tell what there asking, I don't find that spelling every_single_word correctly is neccessary.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by qgroessl on 09-25-2005 at 06:47 PM

I agree it's a good idea... but how many people will use it?... I for one probably won't unless there's a specific word that I'm unsure of that I'd like to know.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by absorbation on 09-25-2005 at 06:49 PM

dam i would use it great idea but who would script it? :cry:

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Nathan on 09-25-2005 at 06:49 PM

WDZ Were are you!
:P
I think i could get the script though :)
Just need wdz word that were allowed it.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Negro_Joe on 09-25-2005 at 06:50 PM

im rubbish at the typing so a spellchecker would get my vote...

RE: A forum Spell checker. by ShawnZ on 09-25-2005 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Ddunk, EvilSeph, ShawnZ, and the rest of the gang on IRC would have a field day with this.

About the idea, I doubt that many people would use it. As long as the post is readable, and you can tell what there asking, I don't find that spelling every_single_word correctly is neccessary.
*they're

Oh, and dt's wysiwyg editor has spellchecking. Too bad it doesn't check grammar aswell, XxRebelSeanxX!
RE: A forum Spell checker. by Nathan on 09-25-2005 at 06:59 PM

Yer but it's still there to be used.
What's your opinion shwanz?

RE: A forum Spell checker. by _Humphreys on 09-25-2005 at 07:01 PM

I would think it would be a neat idea seeing how I sometimes mispell a word here and there.

The forum spell checker is most notably included in ezboards btw. :P

RE: A forum Spell checker. by ddunk on 09-25-2005 at 07:01 PM

A spell checker wouldn't help THAT much.

Take for example, this post: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=38...d=381188#pid381188

quote:
rightknow m usin msn 7 but i dunt want it anymore cuz 6.2 works fine n sum stuff really work on 6.2 can anyone tell me how m gonna stuck with da 6.2 msn cuz wen i got da 6.2 messenger

Are we going to have specific filters for the thousands of different "internet slang" terms? (Take for example the way you people decide to spell the word "cool." Kewl, k00l, c00l, etc)

I bet those forum spell checkers don't check for grammar mistakes either.
RE: A forum Spell checker. by Pr0xY on 09-25-2005 at 07:03 PM

I think its a good idea.  I've always wondered why we never had one before, and it something I've considered suggesting also.  I'm not the best speller in the world, so I would definitly use it. 

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Nathan on 09-25-2005 at 07:04 PM

Yer like in Microsoft Word you can set it to change it to whatever you want.
Damn it i should of made a poll.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Plik on 09-25-2005 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
Are we going to have specific filters for the thousands of different "internet slang" terms? (Take for example the way you people decide to spell the word "cool." Kewl, k00l, c00l, etc)

You could use one of the php spelling librarys if the server has them.

If you care that much about your spelling either take english lessons or get dt's wysiwyg editor which has this.
RE: A forum Spell checker. by Pr0xY on 09-25-2005 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
All spell checkers do come with a ignore botton, so that wouldn't be a problem.  Plus you could have a "ignore forever" feature, where it would remember the word and ignore it in every post by you afterwords if you wanted it too.  Also, you wont be forced to use a spell checker, so theres really no harm in adding it. 

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Nathan on 09-25-2005 at 07:09 PM

I can get the code (I think)

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Lou on 09-25-2005 at 07:19 PM

* Lou would really like to see this

It could be very handy. (y)

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Stigmata on 09-25-2005 at 07:25 PM

tbh,

firefox and opera both have extentions that you can download that will spellcheck a word for you

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Nathan on 09-25-2005 at 07:29 PM

Yer but what happens if you have IE.
And anyway it would be hassle free (well sort of)

RE: A forum Spell checker. by _Humphreys on 09-25-2005 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata

tbh,

firefox and opera both have extentions that you can download that will spellcheck a word for you

True, but what about the IExplorers who live in the dark ages?
RE: A forum Spell checker. by Lou on 09-25-2005 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
Yer but what happens if you have IE.
quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
True, but what about the IExplorers who live in the dark ages?

[/pointing out obvious]

I suggest it be added to the forums once mybb gold comes out and the forums are upgraded to it:)
RE: A forum Spell checker. by evil_panda on 09-25-2005 at 07:47 PM

As i am Dislexic lol i for one would use it on every post i make so i dont make a fool of myself :)

RE: A forum Spell checker. by L. Coyote on 09-25-2005 at 08:00 PM

To be honest, with the hundreds of websites about grammar and spell-checking, this idea seems pointless.

Whenever I want to know if a word is correct, I use WordReference.com, Google's define:, etc.

If the person has interest in writing correctly, they'll use the many tools on the web, and not a forum spell-checker which will possibly make the forums slower...

Edit: making it in PHP, or any other server-side language, will only make the server work for an unnecessary feature...

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
Yer but it'd be there, so you wouldnt have to go looking through the web.
Kami bless the bookmarklets... ;)
RE: A forum Spell checker. by Nathan on 09-25-2005 at 08:21 PM

Yer but it'd be there, so you wouldnt have to go looking through the web.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Purity on 09-25-2005 at 08:35 PM

Gah, I think it's pointless... Can't see anyone using it.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by saralk on 09-25-2005 at 09:06 PM

there is a spellchecker plugin for internet explorer http://www.iespell.com/

It is technically possible in php to make a spellcheck using aspell/pspell, and if WDZ is bored it could be a nice project, but I don't think there should be any sense of urgency applied to it.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by DJeX on 09-25-2005 at 09:08 PM

I'd use it

RE: A forum Spell checker. by Pr0xY on 09-25-2005 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
To be honest, with the hundreds of websites about grammar and spell-checking, this idea seems pointless.
BUT PLEASE Leo.... think of the n00bs...

Not everyone is as familiar with the internet as you and I are.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by mwe99 on 09-25-2005 at 09:48 PM

If its gonna be included, make it optional, lots of people use words that are not in the set english dictionary and lots of abbreviations

RE: A forum Spell checker. by brian on 09-25-2005 at 10:49 PM

Ever heared of a plug-in called "SpellBound" for Firefox?  Try it.

RE: A forum Spell checker. by lordy on 09-26-2005 at 12:54 AM

personally i think it's not a very good idea. it would take quite a while to code and you'd hafta have all the words listed and whatever. plus i doubt many people would use it, as has been said already. AND i find that most people on here can type pretty well anyway. so long as you can understand what the post is talking about then you're fine

RE: A forum Spell checker. by surfichris on 09-26-2005 at 01:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I think it is too.

I think it's a waste of server resources to use something like pspell or aspell and I also think its lame to use an external service.

You could just learn to spell. Considering most of the problems are with peoples abbreviations, this wouldn't do anything about it - and the typical person isn't going to bother spell checking their posts.
RE: A forum Spell checker. by Purity on 09-26-2005 at 03:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I think it is too.

I think it's a waste of server resources to use something like pspell or aspell and I also think its lame to use an external service.

You could just learn to spell. Considering most of the problems are with peoples abbreviations, this wouldn't do anything about it - and the typical person isn't going to bother spell checking their posts.
Wow, exactly.

Damn, forgot to spell check.  *edit*

Bah, Just can't see it being so useful, sure it would be helpful the odd ocassion.  But still.  Not something that's gonna be worth coding etc etc.... exactly what surfi said. :D
RE: RE: A forum Spell checker. by linx05 on 09-26-2005 at 04:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
personally i think it's not a very good idea. it would take quite a while to code and you'd hafta have all the words listed and whatever. plus i doubt many people would use it, as has been said already. AND i find that most people on here can type pretty well anyway. so long as you can understand what the post is talking about then you're fine

I agree. Do you really think the people who come in here asking questions that have been already answered many times would even bother with a spell check?

I have IEspell but I don't use it. Whenever I get a word I'm not sure about the spelling, I just search it in google and it will say "did you mean...", giving the right spelling.