Shoutbox

PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect (/showthread.php?tid=50935)

PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by prashker on 09-26-2005 at 03:23 AM

Hi,

Im downloading some important stuff.
I need to go to bed now but there is a majoy lightning storm and I heard a power surge can fry a computer. But i read about a program that if you dont have a Power Bar with surge protection it auto shuts down the pc when it loses power to protect the PC.

Is there anything that does that?

Of not how can I Make sure my pc dosent screw up when im sleeping tonight with a giant thunder and lightning storm???

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by lordy on 09-26-2005 at 03:28 AM

i don't think that software could do this.... because the power would have to go through the computer for the software to recognise it and it would be fried anyway! so i highly doubt that would be the case

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by prashker on 09-26-2005 at 03:30 AM

dam ok is there a way to make a cuztom surge protector then wasting 50$ for a power bar one?

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by lordy on 09-26-2005 at 03:31 AM

unplug the computer ;) :P that's an awesome surge protector!

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by prashker on 09-26-2005 at 03:34 AM

i know but I would be sleeping and I need these important downloads for the morning :)

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by lordy on 09-26-2005 at 03:35 AM

lol i was joking. i doubt you could whip up a surge protector before you go to bed for the night :P but meh, what do i know?

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by prashker on 09-26-2005 at 03:37 AM

ok thansk for your help maybe someone else can help me :)

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge pro by Hank on 09-26-2005 at 03:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
i know but I would be sleeping and I need these important downloads for the morning :)

surely you could afford $50 on a power surge protector if you pay for the internet connection to,  i myself would prefer to pay $50 than pay out another $2500 on a new PC
RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by prashker on 09-26-2005 at 03:48 AM

ok thanks for the info the strom stopped so now I can sleep :P good luck i got :D

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge pro by lopardo on 09-26-2005 at 05:16 AM

Hmm, I was gonna ask about this, but Google answered me: :P

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/surge_protector.html

surge protector

A device that shields computer and other electronic devices from surges in electrical power, or transient voltage, that flow from the power supply. Standard American voltage for home and office buildings is 120 volts. Anything over this amount is considered transient and can damage electronic devices that are plugged into an outlet. Even though power surges are so brief that they are measured in nanoseconds, they can cause considerable damage to electronic equipment.

A surge protector works by channeling the extra voltage into the outlet's grounding wire, preventing it from flowing through the electronic devices while at the same time allowing the normal voltage to continue along its path. Electrical surges can damage computer equipment by burning its wires or gradually over time wearing down the device’s internal components and even wipe out any saved data. Surge protectors can also protect telephone and cable lines as these also carry electric current.

It is a common misunderstanding that surge protectors will protect systems from lightning, the most familiar source of power surges. Even the most effective surge protectors can not protect equipment from the sudden increase in electrical pressure of millions of volts that lightning can supply. The best way to prevent damage during from lightning storm is to unplug devices that could be irreparably damaged. Surge protectors more commonly protect equipment from lower-voltage surges that occur frequently in modern electrical wiring. For example, devices such as refrigerators and air conditioners require large amounts of energy to switch motors and compressors on and off, creating surges in power that disrupt the steady flow of voltage. Faulty wiring, downed power lines and faulty equipment at the power source (utility company) can all cause power surges as well.

Surge protectors are also commonly called power strips, surge suppressors and transient suppressors.

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by lordy on 09-26-2005 at 05:21 AM

aaaaaah so it wouldnt have worked anyways :P we got struck by lightning once.... blew our modem and out router. nothing else though which was lucky!! one of my friends got struck by lightning once, BANG there goes the tv, the computer, the microwave, EVERYTHING literally blew up, sparks flying

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by Nathan on 09-26-2005 at 07:25 AM

Yer I was one hlidayand mi mum fogot to disconnect pc. But when lightning hit us it hit the router so it stopped it from going to the pc :)

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by evil_panda on 09-26-2005 at 07:29 AM

You can get a little extension cable/surge protector from most hardware store's i have one but it has never came to be used...:)

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by lordy on 09-26-2005 at 07:39 AM

and a little thing called an uninteruptable power supply. that is a kind of surge protector RIIIIGHT?

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by evil_panda on 09-26-2005 at 07:44 AM

yeah thats the one :);)

RE: RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge by lordy on 09-26-2005 at 07:47 AM

*lordy16 feels so smart :D :P

RE: PC Electric Strike/Power Surge Protector (non requireing Power Bar with surge protect by CookieRevised on 09-26-2005 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
Hmm, I was gonna ask about this, but Google answered me: :P

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/surge_protector.html

surge protector

A device that shields computer and other electronic devices from surges in electrical power, or transient voltage, that flow from the power supply. Standard American voltage for home and office buildings is 120 volts. Anything over this amount is considered transient and can damage electronic devices that are plugged into an outlet. Even though power surges are so brief that they are measured in nanoseconds, they can cause considerable damage to electronic equipment.

A surge protector works by channeling the extra voltage into the outlet's grounding wire, preventing it from flowing through the electronic devices while at the same time allowing the normal voltage to continue along its path. Electrical surges can damage computer equipment by burning its wires or gradually over time wearing down the device’s internal components and even wipe out any saved data. Surge protectors can also protect telephone and cable lines as these also carry electric current.

It is a common misunderstanding that surge protectors will protect systems from lightning, the most familiar source of power surges. Even the most effective surge protectors can not protect equipment from the sudden increase in electrical pressure of millions of volts that lightning can supply. The best way to prevent damage during from lightning storm is to unplug devices that could be irreparably damaged. Surge protectors more commonly protect equipment from lower-voltage surges that occur frequently in modern electrical wiring. For example, devices such as refrigerators and air conditioners require large amounts of energy to switch motors and compressors on and off, creating surges in power that disrupt the steady flow of voltage. Faulty wiring, downed power lines and faulty equipment at the power source (utility company) can all cause power surges as well.

Surge protectors are also commonly called power strips, surge suppressors and transient suppressors.

Excellent find (Y)

Though, I must add one thing: those power bars you see in stores are NOT surge protectors. Don't mix up a surge protector and a power bar/strip which has simply a fuse. Those two are very different. Such power bars (which often has also a button to turn on/off all the devices plugged into it at once) do not protect at all to power surges.

quote:
Originally posted by evil_panda
You can get a little extension cable/surge protector from most hardware store's i have one but it has never came to be used...:)

This is excactly what I'm talking about! This is NOT a power suge protector at all.

Such extension cables have nothing more than a simple fuse which only protects against a to much power drain from the devices plugged into it.

eg: you plug in 10 huge fridges on that one power cord/extension cable, the fuse will melt.

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
and a little thing called an uninteruptable power supply. that is a kind of surge protector RIIIIGHT?
Such 'little things' costs relativly a lot of money, and they do not always contain a power surge protection.