Shoutbox

another wacky idea to discuss - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: another wacky idea to discuss (/showthread.php?tid=50986)

another wacky idea to discuss by bits on 09-27-2005 at 08:42 AM

now with no background research on if its been asked, discussed, or if its at all possible..
who would like msgplus to do something about the most annoying feature in msn of all time... the emoticons..

now i dunno about u guys but i have a heap of idiot people on my list that things making random words an emoticcon is cool regardless of how shit it looks when they type a sentence and chunks of it dont show up till moments later or halfway thru remember their emoticon for "me" triggers and whatever else... blah i hate it..

now the idea.. msgplus could change emoticons to a "link" as such(so the trigger word is shown in the msg window as if emoticons were turned off, but if u click the word it will change to the correct emoticon) without the need to entirely turn the feature off(which also sux cause u lose all those smileys..
dunno how possible, but like a red link (so u can tell its ofcourse not a url) for the trigger word would be so darn good! (also gives u a chance to work out from the trigger word if u really wanna see the emoticon.. some ofcourse are not work safe and could be offensive..)

and to make sure this feature would require several months of work... u should be able to whitelist certain emoticon triggers(im undecided if global(not so accurate always) or per contact scale(not so simple and straight forward and becomes a pain) yet) so standard smileys will auto show aswell as other known "proper" emoticons...

</end_super_long_hard_to_read_post>

RE: another wacky idea to discuss by RaceProUK on 09-27-2005 at 09:16 AM

I'm sure there's already an option to diable custom emoticons only in Messenger.

RE: another wacky idea to discuss by bits on 09-27-2005 at 09:23 AM

all or nothing switch(so even all standard msn smileys+icons go), plus once its off you cant then make it show manually(or now it was spose to be an emoticon in the first place it just appears as plain unmarked text)

RE: another wacky idea to discuss by mwe99 on 09-27-2005 at 01:01 PM

Tools > Options > Messages > Untick Show Custom Emoticons

is the only way for now, choosing when to and when not to see custom emoticions would get tiring... just either show them or don't
but maybe someone will come up with an alternative

RE: another wacky idea to discuss by linx05 on 09-27-2005 at 02:12 PM

I would like there to be an alternative. An option to choose which contact to disable custom emoticons for. I really hate it when people use those annoying emoticons. I end up blocking and deleting them. GRRRR! How old are they? 12?!?!?