Shoutbox

[RELEASED] MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: [RELEASED] MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin (/showthread.php?tid=51015)

[RELEASED] MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Yousef on 09-27-2005 at 06:05 PM

Finally, I'm releasing the first official version of Messenger Web Services, also known as MEWS. You might have already seen the official MEWS page at Msgweb.nl, or at this thread. Everything is explained very well at the official page, but I'll tell you what it's all about here shortly:

MEWS allows you to easily share information from the internet with your contacts. It uses little scripts, called 'parsers', to filter the information. There are various parsers to process different websites. For example, if you want to explain your friend the meaning of a word, there's a parser called 'dictionary'. This parser gets its information from dictionary.com. There are also parsers to for famous quotations, the latest news on cnn/neowin/mess, and even a parser to obtain songlyrics.

Here are two examples:

The 'dictionary' parser:
[Image: dictionary.gif]

The 'quote' parser:
[Image: quote.gif]

The amazing thing is everyone who knows how to script can make their own parsers! They're just vbscript/javascript files which can be only a few lines of code, due to the MEWS API! So if you're a scripter, check out the API Tutorial

Next to that, MEWS is multi-lingual. It currently has a English, Dutch, and French (thanks to 'Concord Dawn') language file included.

Btw, this is what the config screen looks like:
[Image: config.gif]
That's it for now! I hope you guys like this plugin, and will make your own parsers!

Download link, parser database, and the API Tutorial can be found at the official MEWS homepage.

Let me know whether everything works!

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services by hmaster on 09-27-2005 at 06:07 PM

Very nice work (Y) !

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services by Stigmata on 09-27-2005 at 06:35 PM

your a genious juzzi :D

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services by absorbation on 09-27-2005 at 06:51 PM

I enjoyed testing for like the 30 seconds :P

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services by Yousef on 09-28-2005 at 04:34 AM

Nice to see it's working for you guys! Any others?

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by J-Thread on 09-28-2005 at 06:07 AM

Looks cool to me(Y). I'll try it this afternoon... But i also have my own plugin to test;)

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by J-Thread on 09-28-2005 at 02:30 PM

I does work, but there are some things that can be better.

The installer says: Make sure you close messenger, but it would be better if the setup just closes messenger. It's easy to do:

First find al contact windows with the class name "imwindowclass". Close them by sending the WM_CLOSE command.

Then, find the window named "MSNHiddenWindowClass", register a message named "TryMsnMsgrShutdown", and send it to the window. Messenger is now fully closed :-).

Also, the plugin list says Messenger web services, it's better to make it Messenger Web Services (capitalize).

I will now try to make a new parser, got a really nice one in mind ;-).

Edit:
Found a spelling mistake in the dutch language file:

code:
    <msgSureDelete>Weet je zeler dat je %parser% wilt verwijderen?</msgSureDelete>
Should be:
code:
    <msgSureDelete>Weet je zeker dat je %parser% wilt verwijderen?</msgSureDelete>

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Eljay on 09-28-2005 at 02:44 PM

made a little msgplus rss parser in case anybody wants one

extract to <msgplus dir>\Plugins\MEWS\Parsers

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Yousef on 09-28-2005 at 02:44 PM

Hey JT, thanks for testing it so well!
I think it's fine to let the user close MSN, this way he can end all conversations, et cetera. I know how to close the windows btw, but still thanks for the explanation ;)

I'll fix the other stuff! And I'm very curious to your parser, I'm sure you will succeed.

Cool LJ, how could I forget a msgplus parser! It works fine, I'll add it to the parser database.

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by J-Thread on 09-28-2005 at 03:06 PM

The way I normally make a setup is: Tell the user msn will be closed with a messagebox. He can now end all his conversations. When he clicks Ok msn will close.

Btw, i've never done visual basic scripting so i just have to get to know the syntax a little bit

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Discrate on 09-28-2005 at 03:14 PM

Great work (Y)

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by J-Thread on 09-28-2005 at 04:47 PM

Ok my parser is almost finished, but i've got 2 feature requests now. The first one:

A no emoticon option for the engine.output function. The output of my parser isn't supposed to contain emoticons. Not too difficult i would think.

Another one, an option to display text in fixedsys font, so the characters all have the same size. Like the <pre> tag in html. My parser is displaying guitar-tabs, but those aren't really usefull without the fixedsys font;)

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Yousef on 09-28-2005 at 05:18 PM

Great idea, the guitar tabs! I used to play the guitar myself.

quote:
Originally posted by J-Thread
A no emoticon option for the engine.output function. The output of my parser isn't supposed to contain emoticons. Not too difficult i would think.
Try engine.output "/noformat " & text
quote:
Another one, an option to display text in fixedsys font, so the characters all have the same size. Like the <pre> tag in html. My parser is displaying guitar-tabs, but those aren't really usefull without the fixedsys font
I'll think about that, but it won't be easy to implement I think.

RE: RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by J-Thread on 09-28-2005 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juzzi
Try engine.output "/noformat " & text

Off course! That works ;-).

But guitar tabs are prety useless without a fixed font, so i'm thinking of just display a link to the tab :-).
RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Yousef on 09-28-2005 at 07:09 PM

quote:
But guitar tabs are prety useless without a fixed font, so i'm thinking of just display a link to the tab .
You could also make an argument 'url' to show the url only. Or just display the entire tab and put the url below it. Or another option is to show a messagebox informing the user they should set the right font, etc. etc.. There are quite some possibilities ;)
RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by J-Thread on 09-28-2005 at 08:06 PM

I know, but there are also a lot of problems with finding the right song. Ok, if you type "Golden Earring - Radar Love" it all works properly...

But with K-Otic -  Can't Get You Out Of My Mind, it's a lot more complicated for the user to type! So i'm still thinking of it ;-). Got a lot of other things to do so this parser can wait. At least your plugin system works properly:D

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Yousef on 09-29-2005 at 05:03 AM

Alright, I'm sure you will manage! (otherwise just pm/msn mwe)

Great news: MEWS got rated 4 stars at onekit.com!
[Image: award_onekit.gif]

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by ipab on 09-29-2005 at 05:36 AM

thats a nice plugin,

btw if you want to improve the installer, ill be very glad to help :).

p.s looks like someone is violating a rule :p

RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by Yousef on 09-30-2005 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
p.s looks like someone is violating a rule
Fixed, and you can now also rate MEWS at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/Other-...Web-Services.shtml.
I talk to you about msn for the installer :)
RE: MEWS: Messenger Web Services plugin by hmaster on 09-30-2005 at 06:14 PM

http://www.messenger-blog.com/?p=158