Shoutbox

Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat (/showthread.php?tid=51095)

Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by Hemo on 09-28-2005 at 08:14 PM

One great feature would be to allow Messenger Plus! to sort the tabs.
The most frequent conversation could be put first.
Conversations that you have not had any activity in, for a while, would be put last.

This has to be an option that would be disabled by default!

Another suggestion, is that the tabs should be able to change order.
Just like tabs in Firefox 1.5 beta!

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by RaceProUK on 09-29-2005 at 11:49 AM

Not just last-used ordering, but also alphabetical and user-defined ordering.

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by ~INVASION~ on 09-29-2005 at 12:47 PM

id like for them to be able to drag and drop, like drag a tab convo to another location, kind of like the firefox extension
[Image: attachment.php?pid=543117]

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by lordy on 09-29-2005 at 01:04 PM

lol i personally think we should be happy there are tabs in the first place :P. but i agree they can definately be improved and built upon

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by Hemo on 09-30-2005 at 08:26 PM

We are very happy that there are tabs!
Now the developers can take them to the next step:

Ctrl+F8 sucks!
Users should be able to drag a tab out from the window.
Much better!

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by Chestah on 09-30-2005 at 10:02 PM

Some of these features sound nice, but you also have to think about the negatives. As for dragging tabs out from the window.. well i can see this would be annoying if you accidently clicked and you started ripping tabs off the window. For instance if you were clicking on "lordy16" to talk to him and you accidently held it down for a microsecond longer and moved the mouse and then he got ripped off the tabbed window :P.

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk

Not just last-used ordering, but also alphabetical and user-defined ordering.

I can see alot of use for that :), i'm sure if Tabs are popular (which i'm sure they are) Patchou will build upon the tabs and may include this :).

quote:
Originally posted by Hemo
The most frequent conversation could be put first.

I'm sure we had a discussion on these sort of things while beta testing. I can only see this as more annoying then as helpful,  you could be talking to your contacts then suddenly their tab moves all around the window because they "become talked to more". If the tabs dont' move then its easy to remember what position they were in and its more user friendly as users can click in the same spot and expect the same conversation to appear. With this feature the positions of tabs would change all the time making it even harder to know where their tab is!
RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by CookieRevised on 09-30-2005 at 11:59 PM

indeed. I'm for the idea of dragging your tabs around, but certainly _not_ for letting them automatically move and reorder! That would be annoying as hell and certainly not user friendly at all.

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by chowie on 10-03-2005 at 10:26 PM

i've got 3 must updates for the tab functions.

1. lets say you are talking to two people. person 1 doesnt say anything while person 2 is talking with you but you have selected person 1 and surf with the chatwindow down, it doesnt highlight so you dont really know if any of the other 15 people your talking with is saying anything at the moment, annoying :D

2. to use the tab key to change chatwindow, maybe? :S

3. when you change chatwindow the window pops back down on the start-menu, would be nice if it didnt do that. maybe impossible what do i know? :S

i will not use tabs until their is a update with atleast number 1 solved. would be nice with 2 and 3 to.

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by RaceProUK on 10-04-2005 at 10:27 AM

1. I thought it did flash the taskbar button?
2. Tab is usually used to move between bits of a window, so this won't be implemented. Use Ctrl(+Shift)+Tab, which are standard tab-changing shortcuts.
3. Do you mean the caption on the taskbar button changes? I don't view that as a problem. Though it's possible to change the caption, it'll also change it for the window (if you have the frame visible).

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by chowie on 10-04-2005 at 12:20 PM

3. i dont really understand what you mean but i mean that the chatwindow always moves to the end of the line of windows opened... you know? nothing huge but. rather anoying :D

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by Sunshine on 10-04-2005 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chowie
i've got 3 must updates for the tab functions.

1. lets say you are talking to two people. person 1 doesnt say anything while person 2 is talking with you but you have selected person 1 and surf with the chatwindow down, it doesnt highlight so you dont really know if any of the other 15 people your talking with is saying anything at the moment, annoying :D
It will flash, there's just a 15 second delay (it will also switch to that conversation). It will also automaticly bring that conversation to the front unless you switch off that option (plus > preferences > instant messages > tabbed chats...."auto-activate chat windows with unread messages"), but this would mean there will be no more taskbarflashes for unfocused chats. If you are experiencing no flashes at all you may wanna check if that setting is enabled.

You can also change the delay if you wish to do so, either manually or with Plus! Tweak (this program changes the registrysettings for you). The regkey you're looking for is GroupAutoSwitchDelay. To download Plus! Tweak or for more information about this regkey see: Help Registry Tweaks
quote:
2. to use the tab key to change chatwindow, maybe? :S
As RaceProUK already said, more about how tabbed chats work can be found in the changelog.
quote:
Originally posted by changelog
You can browse your tabbed chats with two sets of keys: Ctrl+PageUp / Ctrl+PageDown and Ctrl+Tab / Ctrl+Shift+Tab. The later can be disabled with the AllowGroupCtrlTab registry setting if you want to keep Ctrl+Tab to insert tab characters in your messages.
You can use Ctrl+Alt+Tab to go to the next flashing chat or to restore the original chat window when no more flashing windows are present. This shortcut is very useful when talking to a lot of people.
quote:
3. when you change chatwindow the window pops back down on the start-menu, would be nice if it didnt do that. maybe impossible what do i know? :S
The tabs are ordered in sequence of opening conversations, e.g first tab = first conversation started..last tab = last conversation started.
RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by chowie on 10-05-2005 at 09:17 AM

oh thx.

on number 3 i didnt meen the tabs just down on the start menu.

but screw that :D

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by riahc4 on 10-05-2005 at 10:10 PM

quote:
2. Tab is usually used to move between bits of a window, so this won't be implemented. Use Ctrl(+Shift)+Tab, which are standard tab-changing shortcuts.
3. Do you mean the caption on the taskbar button changes? I don't view that as a problem. Though it's possible to change the caption, it'll also change it for the window (if you have the frame visible).
1. Nope it doesnt. Thats a big glitch dont know why...

Sunshine your "auto-activate chat windows with unread messages" feature doesnt work because its annoying as hell lets say your writing to person 1 "I love you" and person 2 sends a message and it autoswitches and you say "I love you" to person 2. No.....It should flash no matter what.
RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by Sunshine on 10-05-2005 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
1. Nope it doesnt. Thats a big glitch dont know why...

Sunshine your "auto-activate chat windows with unread messages" feature doesnt work because its annoying as hell lets say your writing to person 1 "I love you" and person 2 sends a message and it autoswitches and you say "I love you" to person 2. No.....It should flash no matter what.
1. I already explained the why...but to be even more clear, to flash in taskbar it needs the tab of that specific conversation.

"auto-activate chat windows with unread messages": auto-activate was asfar as i know the only way taskbar flashing for messages in unfocussed conversation screens could be implemented in tabbed chats, hence why the name on the taskbar changes aswell. There is no "general" tab to flash on messages in any conversation. I already suggested an XP like stacking (one general tab, above that the tab for tabbed chats screen - active conversation window) during the betatesting period. It has not been implemented, wich to me means that it's probably not possible.

I'm sure you'll notice the different DP when it changed before you send that message. If you don't show DPs then look at the name in the conversation window or in taskbar. The flashing on taskbar already indicates that the conversation in wich this message was sent has been brought into focus.

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by riahc4 on 10-06-2005 at 01:54 AM

Patchou is a busy man....There are some suggestions he just cant notice. Maybe you should give it another try somehow.

That function (that I described about) must be implanted because alot of conversations are lost without it.

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by jannar85 on 10-09-2005 at 11:29 AM

There's one thing that are annoying with the tabs. When having multiply conversations, and someone are talking to us, we cannot see that we've got a new message on the taskbar (the blinking). Is there any way to make this work? There's only blinking on the MSN converation window now.

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by Sunshine on 10-09-2005 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jannar85
There's one thing that are annoying with the tabs. When having multiply conversations, and someone are talking to us, we cannot see that we've got a new message on the taskbar (the blinking). Is there any way to make this work? There's only blinking on the MSN converation window now.
quote:
It will flash, there's just a 15 second delay (it will also switch to that conversation). It will also automaticly bring that conversation to the front unless you switch off that option (plus > preferences > instant messages > tabbed chats...."auto-activate chat windows with unread messages"), but this would mean there will be no more taskbarflashes for unfocused chats. If you are experiencing no flashes at all you may wanna check if that setting is enabled.

You can also change the delay if you wish to do so, either manually or with Plus! Tweak (this program changes the registrysettings for you). The regkey you're looking for is GroupAutoSwitchDelay. To download Plus! Tweak or for more information about this regkey see: Help Registry Tweaks

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by fluffy_lobster on 10-24-2005 at 06:43 PM

I'd like to add to this request - if you could scroll through conversations by rolling your mouse wheel over the tab list in vertical view chatting would be so much easier, for me at least.

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by hexel on 10-24-2005 at 07:47 PM

OK, since we're already on the subject... Has Ctrl+number for selecting tabs (i.e. Ctrl+1 for first tab, Ctrl+3 for third and so on, Firefox users know what I mean :tongue:) been under discussion?

RE: Suggestion: Expand the functions on Tabbed Chat by TazDevil on 10-25-2005 at 08:19 PM

Some features i would like to see regurding tabs are (some discused above),

1. an option to have the tab bar always visible even though there is just one conversation open, (that would help with the resizing of the window, when more contacts are added) + (help identify the contact)

2. tab sorting, by mouse, like firefox (example given above)

3. also tab/untab with mouse drag in/outside would be nice (but i can see the dificulties of accedentally untabbing a convo while trying to sort)