Shoutbox

Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) (/showthread.php?tid=51166)

Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 09-30-2005 at 03:19 AM

Hi,

For example I want to put 6 programs on a CD/DVD

A
B
C
D
E
F

I put setup.exe in each one.

A/setup.exe
B/setup.exe
C/setup.exe
D/setup.exe
E/setup.exe
F/setup.exe

What I want is to have a Autorun.exe (something like that) that when I open that it displays a MENUs that has buttion that you click called

InstallA which opens A/Setup.exe

InstallB which opens B/Setup.exe

InstallC which opens C/Setup.exe

InstallD which opens D/Setup.exe

InstallE which opens E/Setup.exe

InstallF which opens F/Setup.exe

Is there a program that does this?

I have seen stuff like those and I woiuld like to make one of these for my mom to make it really simple for her because shes n00b at PC's

thanks

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 09-30-2005 at 03:48 AM

u could make a small vb app with buttons that direct to the setup file and that would be launched with autorun file.

made one like that a while ago, i can help yea if u need.

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by multimillion2k on 09-30-2005 at 03:53 AM

It might be easier to use a program that can create an installer? I really know nothing about them but I did a google seach for create simple installer and it came up with a few hits, including some freeware ones - might be worth checking out?

OR

Perhaps an html page - simple and effective :)

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 09-30-2005 at 03:56 AM

if u get one online, make sur that it'll will keep the install dir dynamic and not static else u might get problems in the long run and a good free installer is NSIS by nullsoft (u know, the ones that made Winamp ;)).

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by albert on 09-30-2005 at 03:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k

Easiest Thing To Do!!
RE: RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 09-30-2005 at 04:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
quote:

Easiest Thing To Do!!

Can u get an html page to load via an autorun file ? (if so i didn't know that - i thought only .exe file could be launched)
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by albert on 09-30-2005 at 04:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DragonX
Can u get an html page to load via an autorun file ? (if so i didn't know that - i thought only .exe file could be launched)

Good question, I am not sure, but I think it is possble, and if it is, it is the best to do.
Problems with html autoruns by rav0 on 09-30-2005 at 04:12 AM

You can run anything from the autorun, including html files, they will launch in the default browser.

Problem:

Internet Explorer's wonderful "security" features will give you a few thousand warnings, they start before you even choose a program.

Firefox will insist on "downloading" the file, it will popup the warnings, and then add the file into the download manager, and then need to be launched from there with more warnings.

Opera gives an option to just open the file, but it is actually first copied to the computer, then run from there.

Check out Autorun Maestro.

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 09-30-2005 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
You can run anything from the autorun, including html files, they will launch in the default browser.

AH, well we learn something new everyday :D
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by multimillion2k on 09-30-2005 at 05:03 AM

quote:
Problem:

Internet Explorer's wonderful "security" features will give you a few thousand warnings, they start before you even choose a program.

Firefox will insist on "downloading" the file, it will popup the warnings, and then add the file into the download manager, and then need to be launched from there with more warnings.

Opera gives an option to just open the file, but it is actually first copied to the computer, then run from there.

How about trying javascript:launchApp()? would that make things any easier? (it wouldn't if you know nothing about javascript) :S
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by rav0 on 09-30-2005 at 10:14 AM

I know a bit of JavaScript but I've never heard of launchApp.

Anyway Internet Explorer (SP2) and Firefox (I think) block JavaScript, then give you the option to allow it when you have loaded a JavaScript enabled page.

SonicSam hasn't replied to this thread at all so I assume he hasn't read it, and when he does maybe a reply already given will be sufficient.

RE: RE: RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by brian on 09-30-2005 at 10:36 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Easiest Thing To Do!!

Instead of using

Run=

in autorun.ini, you use

ShellExecute=

Else, it won't work. =)
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by Lou on 09-30-2005 at 10:49 AM

quote:
u could make a small vb app with buttons that direct to the setup file and that would be launched with autorun file.

made one like that a while ago, i can help yea if u need.
I could help you out a bit here. MSN me if you need me.
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by TazDevil on 09-30-2005 at 11:28 AM

what about .hta files
they are executalbe and are html as well
just let me find one somewhere on my pc and i 'll post it...

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 09-30-2005 at 11:30 AM

OK Im retarded with everything. I know nothing about Javascript Vb o anything like that. I was just thinking of a program that could help me :) 

Anyways I got to go to school.

quote:
Check out Autorun Maestro.
Thanks I just saw that will check it out after school.
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by TazDevil on 09-30-2005 at 11:38 AM

for those then who may find it interesting i found these on the web

2 examples of how to use hta files

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 09-30-2005 at 07:54 PM

ok I dont really understand Autorun Maestro either.

Any easier program than that :P???

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 10-01-2005 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Any easier program than that ???
Well u could always write instructions and leave them with the cd :P
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 10-01-2005 at 12:58 PM

Well actually Im installing the stuff. I just want it to be easier for me seeing Im putting around 200 instalations on a CD

anyways I found some links and I would like to know the most easy and/or the best one.

www.cdmenupro.com/
www.cdfrontend.com/
www.simplythebest.net/shareware/programming/menu_creators.html
www.indigorose.com/
www.cdmenupro.com/autorun.htm
autorun.moonvalley.com/autorunmenu.htm
www.ezau.com/latest/articles/083.shtml
www.6bytes.com/autoruncd.html
www.thailandphotoalbum.com/AutorunMaker.html
www.softhypermarket.com/AUTOption-download_11412.htm
www.downloadjunction.com/product/software/9830/
www.kl-soft.com/autoplay.php
www.leadsign.com/autorun_menu.html

And I would prefereably (aka REALLY want) the program to make DVD ones.

Thanks

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by dotNorma on 10-01-2005 at 01:45 PM

Here, put it on the cd.

It has to be in the folder that contains A/B/C/D/E/F to work, and I didnt really write error handling so if setup.exe isnt there its not my fault.

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 10-01-2005 at 01:52 PM

Yeah that works.

I wasent really meaning A and setup.exe but I can rename all that stuff. Im going to still look for some but if all fails i will use your simple one :)

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 10-01-2005 at 02:18 PM

Hey SonicSam, do you have Visual Studio (make sure it's not .NEt) at all ? If so i coud write a simple app that would be easy to modify. Or if it all comes down to it, i can make the whole app for you. If u want that just let me know.

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 10-01-2005 at 03:26 PM

Well im downloading Visual Basic now and Im going to learn some tutorials. Norma is making me what I want so dont worry

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 10-01-2005 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Well im downloading Visual Basic now and Im going to learn some tutorials. Norma is making me what I want so dont worry
No prob at all :)
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 10-02-2005 at 01:26 PM

Im just waiting for norma to post his new one,. He said it would be done today :)

RE: RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by rav0 on 10-02-2005 at 11:34 PM

quote:
Im just waiting for norma to post his new one,. He said it would be done today :)

You're waiting for .Norma to post her new one. 8-|

Update:
Read next two posts in this thread :$
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 10-03-2005 at 12:04 AM

? but the profile says male :S

anyways norma you said it would be done today :(

RE: RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 12:20 AM

quote:
? but the profile says male :S

It does so :$! I must have gotten confuzzeled with the symbols.

* rav0 edits rav0's post above and runs to hide behind a tree
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by ShawnZ on 10-03-2005 at 01:12 AM

quote:
quote:

Good question, I am not sure, but I think it is possble, and if it is, it is the best to do.

No way. html is actually the worst thing you can use for that kind of thing.

Just use DemoShield with an autorun.ini file.

Edit: if you really want html, why not use HTA?
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by CookieRevised on 10-03-2005 at 01:32 AM

tbh, I rather have a cd auto-run an html file than to run an exe at any times!!
There is nothing wrong with using an html file (appart from the fact that it needs a browser).

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by ShawnZ on 10-03-2005 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
There is nothing wrong with using an html file (appart from the fact that it needs a browser).

then again, if you really want an html file, use Hypertext Applications (HTA.)
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 10-03-2005 at 01:34 AM

hence the use a simple vb app, all u need is a dll (in some cases) which is installed with windows and it'll run anywhere (unless it was coded in .NET and the machine doesn't have the framework) ;)

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by ShawnZ on 10-03-2005 at 01:35 AM

quote:
hence the use a simple vb app, all u need is a dll (in some cases) which is installed with windows and it'll run anywhere (unless it was coded in .NET and the machine doesn't have the framework) ;)

Which is why you use C and not VB.

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by DragonX on 10-03-2005 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Which is why you use C and not VB.
HA, u win there! :) - damn you :P

* DragonX has never done C, so he didn't think about it
RE: RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by CookieRevised on 10-03-2005 at 01:37 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
then again, if you really want an html file, use Hypertext Applications (HTA.)
no, you get me wrong... That is just the same. This is again a compiled "something" (although it is somewhat easy to decompile it) and with hta you can still do more (bad) stuff than with html.

I do NOT want to auto-start ANYTHING which can do stuff which I don't agree upon. And I want to know what is done (aka: I need to see the source first). period.

HTML can not do such stuff, hence my preference for that. And before you say "what about javascript etc", Javascript can't do anything malicious and VBScript is also not a problem as I will be warned when something is started which I didn't agree upon. Even then, I still could easly see the source of all that stuff. With HTA, EXE, COM, whatever you can't...

I know I can disable the autorun (which I have), but that's beside the point. I still want to see what the autorun is suppose to do...
RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by ShawnZ on 10-03-2005 at 02:00 AM

An HTA file is written in simple html markup, it isnt compiled or encoded in any way... You can hold shift to stop an autorun from occouring aswell...

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by ipab on 10-03-2005 at 02:33 AM

well yah, like ShawnZ said a hta app is just a renamed html file. This is the best option in my opinion since its easy and one can customise the hell out of it , plus one can always see what it is going to do.

on a side note: finally something that cookie doesn't know

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 10-03-2005 at 02:35 AM

ok ya this is done Norma helped me and its over you can discuass about what your talking about :P

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by ipab on 10-03-2005 at 02:40 AM

can we see it? maybe a screeny would be cool.

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by prashker on 10-03-2005 at 03:09 AM

well i cant get a screenie cuz I put on dads pc and its not doen I still got to add the progs but if i have time I will some pics but its just a basic VB thing :)

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by CookieRevised on 10-03-2005 at 01:09 PM

quote:
An HTA file is written in simple html markup, it isnt compiled or encoded in any way...
Yeah, ok, I was wrong in that, I confused it with the new compiled format of helpfiles (eg: chm)

Nevertheless, an HTA is much more insecure than HTML. In an HTA the restrictions against allowing script to manipulate the client machine are lifted. For example, all command codes are supported without scripting limitations. And HTAs have read/write access to the files and system registry on the client machine. An HTA is streated as an compiled executable...

quote:
You can hold shift to stop an autorun from occouring aswell...
that's not the point...

RE: Im not sure what to call it (maybe multi program menu) by Mike on 10-03-2005 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Norma
Attachment: im-gonna-beat-you-with-a-bat.zip (3.14 KB)
What? :P
Thats not a bat, thats a simple VB application that uses VB's built in command Shell... :P