Shoutbox

Personalised Status: Weird character - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Personalised Status: Weird character (/showthread.php?tid=51213)

Personalised Status: Weird character by Kev.geno on 10-01-2005 at 05:33 AM

Whenever I put any personalised status tag, this weird character shows up.

RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by Weyzza on 10-01-2005 at 05:34 AM

Not for me...

Can you specify what version you use (Messenger and Plus!) and the OS you're using?

RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by Kev.geno on 10-01-2005 at 05:57 AM

MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 (I dont want the newest one)
Plus 3.60.
WinXP Pro.

RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by J-Thread on 10-01-2005 at 08:40 PM

That character seems to be ASCII character 255, or 0xFF...

Maybe that will help somebody?

RE: RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by Kev.geno on 10-02-2005 at 02:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by J-Thread
That character seems to be ASCII character 255, or 0xFF...

Maybe that will help somebody?

or even alt+0160.^o)
RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by ShawnZ on 10-02-2005 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kev.geno
or even alt+0160.^o)

Alt-0160 = Char 160 = Hex A0 which is a blank space (Not to be confused with spacebar which is 32 AKA Hex 20)
RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by (CyBeRDuDe) on 10-02-2005 at 08:21 PM

Yes, it's the Char 160... That's the character that MsgPlus! uses to interpretate custom status's.. Follwed by a { and then the status and then }...
I can't really understand why it would show as that char on your computer, since that char should be a blank space as ShawnZ mention... What languages of Windows/Messenger/Plus! are you using?... I have a suspition that this might be the problem(If you don't use english, or similar, i'm thinking about some eastern or asian version or something)?..  Have you noticed this bug on older versions of Messenger? Plus!?... Etc?...
Might be the skin?... Can you attach more details?... Do you see the same character if your contacts use custom status?...

RE: RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by Kev.geno on 10-04-2005 at 03:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
Yes, it's the Char 160... That's the character that MsgPlus! uses to interpretate custom status's.. Follwed by a { and then the status and then }...
I can't really understand why it would show as that char on your computer, since that char should be a blank space as ShawnZ mention... What languages of Windows/Messenger/Plus! are you using?... I have a suspition that this might be the problem(If you don't use english, or similar, i'm thinking about some eastern or asian version or something)?..  Have you noticed this bug on older versions of Messenger? Plus!?... Etc?...
Might be the skin?... Can you attach more details?... Do you see the same character if your contacts use custom status?...

All my software is in English.
And no this bug didnt appear in earlier versions of Plus.
RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by rav0 on 10-04-2005 at 10:49 AM

It is the effect of bad design in the font you are using. Change the font in Display Properties.

I think that Messenger Plus! has the capability to change the font used by Messenger from that defined by system to a font of your choice, but this can only be set directly in thr system registry (or MsgPlus! Tweak).

However, changing the offending system font will also fix compatibility problems that it causes in other programs, but that you haven't noticed yet.

Alternatively, you caould use a modified version of the same font, with Char 160 edited to be truly invisible.

RE: RE: Personalised Status: Weird character by Kev.geno on 10-06-2005 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
It is the effect of bad design in the font you are using. Change the font in Display Properties.

I think that Messenger Plus! has the capability to change the font used by Messenger from that defined by system to a font of your choice, but this can only be set directly in thr system registry (or MsgPlus! Tweak).

However, changing the offending system font will also fix compatibility problems that it causes in other programs, but that you haven't noticed yet.

Alternatively, you caould use a modified version of the same font, with Char 160 edited to be truly invisible.

You're right! Thanks.