Shoutbox

bittorrent troubles - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: bittorrent troubles (/showthread.php?tid=51281)

bittorrent troubles by saralk on 10-02-2005 at 12:19 PM

I am having troubles with my bittorrent downloads.

Whenever i download something, it gets to 98.9% and then stops downloading anyithng but uploads loads.

It is obviously very hair rippingly frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas?

RE: bittorrent troubles by lizard.boy on 10-02-2005 at 01:24 PM

its possible that none of your peers have the other 1.1%

RE: bittorrent troubles by segosa on 10-02-2005 at 01:25 PM

It's normal for some torrents, nothing you can do about it but keep it running and hope you eventually get the last pieces.

RE: bittorrent troubles by saralk on 10-02-2005 at 02:46 PM

but this has happened to two torrents, and they both got to 98.9% and then stopped.

RE: bittorrent troubles by DragonX on 10-02-2005 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
That's right, so if the original "complete" seed is gone, then everyone will get stuck at 98% so untill he comes back on or someone with a complete seed comes on, no one will ever get to finish d/l it.
RE: bittorrent troubles by evil_panda on 10-02-2005 at 03:28 PM

This happens to me too saralk if you leave the .torrent open and still downloading someone will have the last little percentage it is fustrateing...have you got all your convigeration settings correct for you bandwith etc because that also could be a problem.

RE: bittorrent troubles by prashker on 10-02-2005 at 10:23 PM

Why do my downloads sometimes stall at 99%?

The more pieces you have, the harder it becomes to find peers who have pieces you are missing. That is why downloads sometimes slow down or even stall when there are just a few percent remaining. Just be patient and you will, sooner or later, get the remaining pieces.

Edit:dodgy: i didnt write this :)

RE: RE: bittorrent troubles by DragonX on 10-02-2005 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DragonX
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
That's right, so if the original "complete" seed is gone, then everyone will get stuck at 98% so untill he comes back on or someone with a complete seed comes on, no one will ever get to finish d/l it.

Quoting myself again ha ha ;)

EDIT: Sry SonicSam, didn't read that last post right. :$
RE: bittorrent troubles by rav0 on 10-02-2005 at 11:55 PM

What SonicSam plagarised :p is completely correct. Just leave it downloading (and uploading). Eventually it will finish.

Another possibility is that part of the torrent is a system file (eg Thumbs.db). Your computer keeps overwriting this this file, and the BitTorrent client downloads it again, but the computer overwrites it again. When your client checks the file, the hash doesn't match the one that it should be, the client delcares it not downloaded, and you're back downloading that file again.

Try using the download even though it says it is incomplete. Maybe it is usable already, and the client is just stuck redownloading some files that are removed or overwritten by your computer.

RE: bittorrent troubles by prashker on 10-03-2005 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
What SonicSam plagarised

:P true but its a programs FAQ so :D
I never said I did it :P

But in simple. Just wait and It will finish.

ps: ok ill edit saying io didnt write it :P

edit: i wrote this :D

it could also stop because its redownloading failed Pieces :)
RE: bittorrent troubles by rav0 on 10-03-2005 at 12:18 AM

Update:
Some people have been making torrents with names of popular downloads, but don't actually contain that, just dummy files are in the torrent. They add these to metasearch sites, but give false statistics about the torrent to make it seem more attractive, such as number or seeds/leechers, as there are often other similar downloads available. These false torrents are seeded, but a tiny bit of the torrent is left out so that nobody will ever finish it, but they will waste their time and bandwidth, downloading it and uploading it to others.